TAT on an XT250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AT Blizzard, Jun 28, 2017.

1. CaptJezebel

CaptJezebel In the saddle of "Doppler"

Oddometer:
    I followed along silently, excellent report!!!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  2. biker

biker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Report I am doing sections on my XT until i get to Oaklohama so i dont have to take so much time off from work
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  3. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    As usual, I find an excellent trip report just as it's coming to an end, a day late and a dollar short.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  4. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled on this one as well. Great job!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  5. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey has anyone ever done the TAT on a Mtn Bike ( pedal power)
  6. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1726.JPG
    Morning in Port Orford.

I ate at the crowded diner, with all the townsfolk.

IMG_1729.JPG
    What you don't see in these photos is the unrelenting winds. Beautiful coast, but very brisk.

I camped at the state park North of town. Clean, hot showers, organized, camp hosts, and reasonable rates.

I'll do a summary of this journey, but this rodeo isn't over yet. I headed out at 2:00 pm after some bike maintenance. Instead of going North or South, I went East -- as in back on the TAT for ~100 miles to hop on I-5.
    Pete S, twinrider, arghhh and 5 others like this.
  7. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    I passed at least 10 bikepackers on the TAT. Someone mentioned that they were doing an endurance event. I do not envy them...
    arghhh likes this.
  8. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TAT was originally a pedal bike route developed around 1977.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  9. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your Ride Report AT Blizzard! As an owner of a KLX 250 as well as a VStrom650, I can see how great a choice the 250 is, and I would be riding a 250 on the TAT or as we have here in Canada, the TransCanada Trail.

Please explain your Avatar a Pepsi and an Oil Filter??
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  10. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    When I
    When I picked up my new 2015 XT250, I was amused at the quiet puttering sound (my other bike is a HD Softtail), and it felt as light as my cyclocross bike when getting blown around by the wind or highway traffic. But, it seemed to be the perfect grocery-getter and sight-seeing bike for my RV.

My first oil change. I went to the dealer to get parts -- and they handed me that ridiculously small Yamaha box. I asked if that was the correct oil filter. "Yes", was the simple reply. Had I bought a fragile toy?

Then on my first trip, I took the bike on logging roads in Alabama -- and never looked back. Now, when I'm standing on the pegs, charging up a rocky trail in 1st or 2nd gear, I'm still impressed. The XT250 is one of the most versatile motorcycles around.

The Pepsi can is a familiar point of reference to demonstrate scale.

My avatar reminds me of those humble initial thoughts -- and my evolved impressions. :1drink

IMG_1733.JPG
    I stuffed several more oil filters in this case to start the trail. This was the MotoPumps case.

IMG_1734.JPG
  11. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How often did you change oil and filters? And how often did you clean and reoil your air filter? Did you have any flats on the trail? I don't recall reading that you did but my brain is old and stuff doesn't stick as good as it used to! :)
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  12. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what pressure did you run in your tires?
  13. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    Oil change every ~1,000 miles. Oil filter change every oil change unless I was running the identical synthetic oil (then I would change it at the next oil change).

I cleaned my air filter and box only a few times. I replaced it in Trinidad, CO (mailed one to myself).

I initially searched for grip with psi at 16 front / 18 rear tire. However, you do a lot of fast transitions to tarmac, and you hit a lot of ruts and rocks. So, I ended up running 20 front / 22 rear (cold tire pressures). That was for both my T63 front/rear to start the trail; and my MT21 front / D606 rear to complete it.

I had no flats of any kind, bent rims, or damage to my knobbies. This trail is filled with obstacles, and the Bridgestone HD tubes held up -- the tire techs who mounted my rear (Pueblo) and front tire (Moab), told me the tubes looked good.

When I was charging (staying up on the pegs getting tossed into different lines) up hills trying not to lose momentum, I saw all manner of large to small rocks (some looked very sharp) flash before my eyes, and you can't miss them all. So, I was surprised how well the tire/wheel package held up.
    ecarnell and randypower like this.
  14. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good for you regarding no flats! I friggin hate to change or patch a tube on the side of a trail. Do you have rim locks on your wheels? I don't think the Sherpa comes with one on the rear does it?

I have heard the praises of HD tubes but I have also heard others say they don't do a thing. That if a tire collapses to the point of pinching a tube, even the HD ones will fail. Same goes for objects penetrating the tire... if something does, it will penetrate even a HD tube. I wonder if there is an absolute truth on this matter that is based on objective testing.

What kind of mpg have you been getting on the TAT? I noticed that you are carrying gas (2 gals?). How often have you needed it?
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  15. tbird649

tbird649 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my experience, and I've been riding off road for the best part of 50 years, (i'm 60 this year) its better to run higher pressures, above say 15psi. For the bit of grip you may lose, you dont need rim locks on a low powered bike, and you dont pinch tubes when you hit something. Most people seem to run tyres too low, I'd rather be riding than mending punctures.
  16. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did someone advise you to change oil that often or did you just decide that doing so was prudent? Did the little bike have to work that hard? I run full synthetic in all my bikes and I would likely have changed once at about half way.
  17. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on that!
  18. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed this trip, and I realize it's not over yet.

Thanks for the efforts. Posting from the road is something I am too lazy and selfish to attempt. It seems to come natural to you.

I took a used XT for a test ride a couple years ago and nearly bought it. My dedication, at the time -- and still is, to punish my KLR (Red) to the bitter end. You've convinced me that I was on the right path, and I regret not making the transaction.

Congratulations on completing another North American milestone. Usually, when marks like these are being made, there's a trifecta out there.....

.....What's next, Blizzard?

BTW, if you're crossing TX on the way home and Wichita Falls is on the radar, you've got a place to stay, just send a PM.

We'd love to hear your tales from the AT and the TAT!

Kind regards,

Scott & Lois
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  19. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Great report! I only found it today and read through it since I've kinda been eying an XT250 for a while. If you find yourself crossing through Arizona on the way home, I'd offer to take you on some scenic rides, but the 105+ heat is kind of a turnoff. :)

BUT, if you do need anything, PM me, I'll do my best to help.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  20. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is home to you in GA? I am in the Atlanta area.