TAT on an XT250

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AT Blizzard, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Baja_Bound

Baja_Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another XT250 rider here. I'm in! :D
    drdubb and AT Blizzard like this.
  2. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    When I did Colorado, in 2014, I camped at about 10,000 feet, just west of the Continental Divide. When I made camp in the evening, it was about 70 F. When I woke up, it was about 35 F. I was OK in a super-light sleeping bag, that felt like it had no stuffing at all, and a silk liner.

Never felt cold, while riding the TAT, riding with just mesh pants, underclothes, light long-sleeve shirt, and riding jacket, augmented with poly long underwear in the cold stuff. The top long underwear is my ADVrider "polo" shirt.

The only time I got cold, while riding, was on the super-slab, heading home through the mid-west. It was only about 55 F, in the morning, and I just didn't learn to put on those long underwear, for three days in a row. It always warmed up by 10:00 or 11:00, though.
    Diddly and AT Blizzard like this.
  3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty Mid Life Crisis -Wish it happened 20 yrs ago Supporter

Oddometer:
    Such a great RR. I'm impressed that you took this on alone. Not sure I can do that. :)
    Animal Instinct and AT Blizzard like this.
  4. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    maybe I missed it

but how big a guy are you, fix wise on that XT250
  5. AT Blizzard

AT Blizzard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    5'9" 160 lbs
    ecarnell likes this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was a very good report, clear and concise. I enjoyed it greatly. I think you provided an ideal model for prepping and riding the TAT.
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  7. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    I know you were asking Blizzard, but thought I'd throw in my size, having ridden the AT as far as Utah on an XT250:
    Height: 6' 8" (shrunk from 6' 10" in my prime)
    Weight: 230, a little greater back when riding the TAT

I call my packing style "very light", but would call Blizzard's "ultra-light"

Lots of people advise a bigger bike for a big guy, but you get used to riding like a jockey, and there are several good reasons for selecting the XT as an off-road adventure bike.
    ecarnell, Bob and AT Blizzard like this.
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I set out to finish my TAT ride (UT-OR) it will be on my XT.

I am 195# and 5'10".

As one's body becomes more creaky, a lighter, lower bike allows one to more easily continue riding.

This ride report was a joy to read!
    LandsVW and AT Blizzard like this.
  9. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was your route around to get to featherville? I am heading through their shortly.

AT Blizzard and Sunken like this.
  10. Sunken

Sunken n00b

Oddometer:
    juno, I talked to a guy at the fairfield ranger station today since I have the same route planned.
    He said there is a singletrack bypass, but he doesn't know how technical it is. He said he'd ask his friend who rides dirt bikes. Still waiting on that.
    In the meantime, here is the bypass he suggested.
    The safer bet is scenic highway > IDBDR > Boise.
    Edit: dirt rider's $.02: "I would only recommend that route to a loaded dual sport rider if they are truly an expert trail rider. There are a couple of tricky spots along the way with a lot of consequence should something go wrong. The type of bike would matter. If it is a fairly dirt worthy Honda or KLR then the above applies. If they are on a big adventure bike like a BMW or a large KTM 990 and bigger. Than I would not recommend it unless they are former ISDE gold medalists."

Attached Files:

DCTFAN likes this.
  11. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    There's more to the story, to include speaking with a Ranger at the Ketchum Ranger Station, along with multiple locals familiar with the trail and the events that closed it down. It made for a busy afternoon of sorting fact, fiction, trail mythology, latest "eyes-on" update, a dude carrying his bicycle, Sherrif's interest, blah blah blah. :1drink

I'm an adventure optimist -- Good Luck Adventue Riders!
    juno likes this.
  12. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    AT Blizzard, you are a real Peach - Georgia Style! Ride on my friend!
    Sharkdog and AT Blizzard like this.
  13. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really is a crying shame. It's been closed for so long yet no one has changed or updated their tracks.

Kudos to you AT for riding on that shelf road around the reservoir at night to get to Macks Creek! I went by Macks about 6 pm and the washboard had done me in by then. Not to mention almost getting hit by pick up trucks so many times I was laying on the horn on every blind corner, about 999 of them. It took all the fun out of a great road. I ended up running down to Boise.

I ended up going south out of sun valley on 75 to 20 west for about 30 miles to 168 (High prairie road) to 61 (Pine feathervile road) 61 is awesome twisty pavement well worth it. But of course, there is a bridge out going in to pine with a slight detour. There is gas in Pine though. I think it was about 80 miles, but fast moving.
    I wasted over an hour in the area looking for bigger bike go arounds. I have a forestry map of the area I picked up.

AT Blizzard likes this.
  14. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bottom line. Love it!
    So which was easier for you on the XT; the Nevada track or the ID track to get to OR?
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  15. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    I liked Idaho for the change of scenery. I ran Sam's Tracks which straddled Nevada and Utah until it headed into Idaho -- but leaving the Utah/Nevada desert for a mix of Idaho terrain to include the long river runs and mountains was a nice change of scenery; however, the volcanic rock desert (heading into Arco) was as PITA as the rugged Nevada desert valleys and mountains, and the arid landscape heading to the Idaho-Oregon border was more tame but just as enduring.

Nevada is just so remote and seemed to have more precarious areas.

When I returned to Nevada (from Port Orford, Oregon) coming back to Baker/Border Inn via Denio Junction -- I only ran some of gpsKevin's tracks; so I can't speak for the full gpsKevin departure into Nevada from Sam's Tracks that went into Idaho.

Bottom Line: I would do both Sam's Idaho and some of gpsKevin's Nevada Tracks again -- as they both rounded out my adventure.
    juno and DCTFAN like this.
  16. AT Blizzard

Oddometer:
    After a Las Vegas bike makeover, SoCal social visits, St George-Durango-Ouray (CO) scouting ride, then a blast East through Marshall Pass-Cotopaxi-Pueblo and out of the Rockies to Dodge City back thru the soggy Plains and Southeast -- I made it home to Northern Georgia.

It was nice to travel back to Colorado thru Four Corners on my own trail. I ate outside at a nice relaxing restaurant in Ouray, CO -- with a view of the main street, surrounded by mountains and other adventure tourists.

IMG_2019a.jpg
    Leaving Ouray, and heading East (on my return trip) down the highway from Montrose to Salida, I recognized the TAT areas I crossed when I was heading West. A lot of road bikes on the highway, as well as TAT riders on their big adventure bikes at one of the crossings. I rolled up to Sargents' gas station/store and saw 4 dirt bikes head out (the sign for Marshall Pass is within sight of the fuel pumps, so I got pulled back onto the TAT for the last time of this journey). I got to spend some quality time with them, they veered off; but shortly after I was joined by a YZ450 rider, then a family group with several varied 4x4s swarmed me at the sign. Not as crowded as Silverton to Ouray, but these mountains are busy. :-)

IMG_2048.JPG
    Colorado bridge ivo Marshall Pass on Sam's Tracks -- heading East. Once I left Pueblo, I had nothing but a lot of wet roads, cheap motels, and fast food between me and home.

IMG_2060.JPG
    10,700 mile round trip Trans-Continental journey is now complete.
    ccrider72, TaZ9, norton73 and 8 others like this.
  17. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checking in on this report. Thanks for taking the time to post. My lady friend (inmate ZinaMP) and I did the trail in 2014 on 250's , an XT and a KLR. I'm 6ft 200 lbs and you are right, just tuck and go. My carburetor beast was a bit of a hump past Trinidad but compensated down hill. lol
    phreakingeek and AT Blizzard like this.
  18. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checking in on this report. Thanks for taking the time to post. My lady friend (inmate ZinaMP) and I did the trail in 2014 on 250's , an XT and a KLR. I'm 6ft 200 lbs and you are right, just tuck and go. My carburetor beast was a bit of a hump past Trinidad but compensated down hill. lol

Attached Files:

AT Blizzard likes this.
  19. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home. Thanks for the awesome report and help along the way with my journey. Looking foward to your next adventure!!!
    AT Blizzard likes this.
  20. arghhh

arghhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best philosophy :ricky Great to read an RR by a light packer.
    tbird649 and AT Blizzard like this.