TAT Tag Team Relay

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by svneko, Aug 15, 2020.

1. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    OK, so this is my first ride report. Not sure how this will go but let's give it a shot. I have been planning to run the TAT for a little while. I was gonna do it by myself or with someone if I hooked up. I have lots of free time but none of my riding friends have enough time to do the whole thing. I have a KLR, but quickly realized I want more bike. So I bought a 790R. I was gonna just sell the KLR, but my wife suggests (one of her favorite things to do) that I get some guys to ride the KLR with me while I ride the KTM. So enter buds EdgeoftheWorld, BrontideRob, and ResolRider. These guys will relay the KLR across the country. Edgeoftheworld, who in my opinion would fall off it if he came anywhere near the edge of the world, is a local riding buddy. He has 3 BMWs so is really slumming it here. He'll go from the start in NY to Little Rock, Ark. Brontide, a sailing buddy and long distance hiker, will go from Little Rock to somewhere in Utah. It's great to have him because if we break down no matter where we are he can just walk on out. It might take him a week to get to civilization but he'll get there. He used to have a Harley parts biz, but don't hold that against him. Resol is another sailing buddy. He will pick up the bike in Utah and finish out the trip to Port Orford. Resol keeps the phones and internet running in San Diego. So if you are there and reading this, you can thank him. He rides a Vee Strom in the hills of San Diego but can't keep up with his wife on her CSC. Maybe I should have asked her along. CarbonJunky will ride with us for part of the eastern bit. I call his Wee Strom a scooter, but he can ride the wheels off all of us. Maybe I can convince him to go a bit further.

I am gonna ask them all to chime in whenever they want to correct the record or tell you embarrassing things about me. We leave on Tuesday.

At the end, I will sell the KLR. So if anyone is interested in a well-outfitted '17 KLR at a good price in Oregon hit me up.

We'll be leaving from the tip of Long Island in Orient, NY.
    coffeepot.jpg

Our beaches are pebbles out here.
    feet.jpg

Leaning on Edge, which I am sure I will be doing a lot of on this trip.
    Twobikes.jpeg

My bike
    KTM.jpeg

Also my bike (which like death, taxes and protests, WILL arrive in Oregon, whether the rest of us does or not)
    Killer.jpg

and this is a picture of my dog:
    Jojo.JPG
    ivan_m, Oilleaker, CoopsDL and 11 others like this.
  2. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As @svneko mentioned, I will be riding the first leg of the TAT Tag Team Relay. Last weekend I took the ferry over from CT so we could pack the bike and do a little test ride. And also to stage some good start of trip pictures :)

I took my pandemic bike purchase (92 BMW K75S) over with most of my camping gear. Pretty much everything but clothing. It took up less space than I thought it would...which is a good thing. My main ADV bike is an 09 R1200GS. The KLR is quite different. My last off road adventure on the NEBDR left me with a smashed windshield and headlight so lighter and less power sounds good :) Good thing we did the test ride because we found an issue with a bent hose to the carburetor which would have been a pain to deal with the morning of the trip. Especially since it didn't manifest itself until we had been riding for a bit.

K bike and a ferry
    IMG_20200809_145028.jpg IMG_20200808_164643.jpg
    Oilleaker, Foiler, GregDavidL and 3 others like this.
  3. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about going along for the ride is that @svneko has done all the planning :) I don't really care where we go. I know where we are starting, Orient NY on Long Island and I know where I am finishing, Little Rock Arkansas. What happens in between will be the adventure. We aren't making lodging plans ahead of time and mostly going to wing it. Plan is to camp as much as possible with occasional airbnb/motel as needed.

It is going to be HOT. Heading south in August sounds brutal to me. I actually bought a mesh ADV jacket from the flea market here because my main jacket would have been way too hot even though it has decent venting.

Today I am getting my clothing together, GoPro, GPX tracks etc. I will probably take a lot of GoPro videos, transfer them to a hard drive and never look at them again. I am going to try and do something with them this time and get them up on YouTube...but I say that now. I am usually pretty good with ride reports...at least the few I have done here so there should be regularly updated pictures.

A few more pictures from last weekend.
    IMG_20200809_110745.jpg DSCN0024.jpg

Inmate svneko
    DSCN0027.jpg

Me
    IMG_20200809_110813.jpg
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone with a cattle dog can't be all bad! Not that I am biased or anything...
    xcsks likes this.
  5. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Yea, he keeps me on my toes.
    staudio likes this.
  6. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching this one. I'm 2 hours straight north of the TAT once you cross 35 in Oklahoma if you need anything.
  7. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, We'll take note of that.
  8. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Love the tag team angle. Should be interesting. :bash

Sailing and bikes...two of my three passions. You guys might be alright.
  9. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    Woke up at 4:30 am to take an hour long Uber ride to the ferry. Hour and 20 minute trip on the ferry. I'm going to be tired before we even start!

Packed a few more things onto the bike and then we'll hit the road. Plan is to make it to Virginia today. Mostly slab as we are trying to gain some time for when we might need it on the trail.

Rained like crazy last night but should be clear for the ride. Hopefully it cools things down because it's been hot as hell around here as of late.

Don't know where we'll end up today or where we'll sleep yet. Probably decide that around lunchtime. It's my first long trip this season and I really don't care where we go or what we see. Just looking forward to being on the road to somewhere

IMG_20200818_093654.jpg IMG_20200818_093705.jpg

Posting this from the hotel. Today's ride could be titled "Adventures in Traffic". For anyone who was considering planning a ride through New York City, we'll have some pictures up soon.
  10. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it to VA. Saw your track in NYC ... 0 to 8.6 mph. Had to be frustrating. Hopefully from this point forward, it's open tracks and smooth sailing! Fair winds.
  11. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Well, we slabbed it 400 miles to historic Frederick Maryland. I don’t know why it’s historic or who Fred was but here we are waiting out the rain to start day 2 of the ride.
    822F72E5-922F-4C25-A880-4AE55BAFA62C.jpeg
    We’ll pick up Kevin’s trail a little to our west. But G-damn, I envy you guys who skip out to the garage, hop on the bike, make a left at the end of the driveway and are in the mountains. Us east coast dwellers have to deal with a whole mess to get to any good riding. Who starts a cross-country off-road ride by going through the biggest, gnarliest city. It’s the opposite of what we are looking for.
    36CE8108-92A2-4D84-A7BA-3F4A6FF91244.jpeg

Taxis cutting us off because they can. Hooligans on supermotos and colonel klink helmets passing on the glass-strewn shoulder. Sirens and indifferent cops who’ve suffered a lot of slings and arrows lately. There is a bad feeling there and it was good to get out. But I guess it’s all part of the adventure.

Anyway, this should turn into a more traditional RR soon. And for you Heeler lovers, there he is in the background, not approving of any of it.

681E0A91-E87E-44CB-807F-45FDC25FE401.jpeg
  12. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    We left Long Island at about 10:30 am. I grew up on Long Island so I can say this, Long Island sucks! Nothing but traffic everywhere, all the time. I strongly advise against going to Long Island...ever. *Edit @svneko asked me to say something nice about the east end of LI. It is nice there but take a ferry.

GH018091_1597834229767.JPG

The day’s focus was on getting out of the New York City area and trying to make it to Virginia. We didn't make it to Virginia. It was a big slab day so we would have more time out on the trail. It was slow going. I don’t know where everybody was going on a Tuesday afternoon around lunchtime...in a pandemic...but the roads were pretty packed. We started on the far eastern end of LI and rode through all of LI, Queens, Brooklyn and NYC. It took 17 hours. Actually it didn’t but it sure felt that way! It was also around 84 degrees. The temperature was actually an improvement over recent weather but in stop and go traffic it was just hot!
    GH018097_1597834434365.JPG GH018099_1597833554040.JPG GH018099_1597833568264.JPG

I’m starting to question @svneko ‘s ability to navigate as it took us a good 30 minutes to find Jersey Mike’s Subs for lunch. We kept riding around the same roads over and over again for, no joke, 6 or 7 times until we finally found it. It was in a strip mall, so its not like it was hiding. :) But since he is letting me ride his KLR on this trip, I won’t complain. He has seen me drop my GS on many occasions and is aware of my mishap in Ukraine on another friend’s bike. So maybe I am right to question his judgement.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. We got out of the traffic after lunch and the weather was actually pretty pleasant once we could move at a decent pace. We made one more stop for gas and a jolt of caffeine and then pushed on to Frederick Maryland where we stayed in a Comfort Inn. After a mediocre meal at Texas Roadhouse (but with some nice big beers), which was also my first time eating in a restaurant in 6 months, we called it a night.

As I write this from the hotel lobby, it is raining. Should clear in a couple of hours and we;ll push on. Overall, it was a good day yesterday. We covered close to 400 miles and it just felt good to be on the road.
  13. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from the Great Day of Traffic GH018099_1597833458057.JPG GH028099_1597833711059.JPG GH028099_1597833725985.JPG GH018100_1597833777125.JPG

At last we escaped from New York!
  14. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Talk about sucking the life out of a ride, NYC? Damn...
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    Quick update. We had a good day of riding yesterday despite me taking a spill and bruising my chest and ribs. Hurts like a son of a bitch bit not really while riding. Haven't gotten a chance to look at the video yet but that's coming

IMG_20200819_144407.jpg IMG_20200819_144402.jpg IMG_20200819_144419.jpg
    Foiler and chudzikb like this.
  16. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    We were trying to make it to a campsite listed on IOverlander but we couldn't find it. We were running out of daylight so luckily found some random weather station for the night. In Virginia now. Quick break and then back on the road

IMG_20200820_064414.jpg IMG_20200820_064430.jpg MVIMG_20200820_070746.jpg IMG_20200820_070812.jpg
  17. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Day 3 is in the books. We are in Boone, NC, a college town. We’ve done a mix of Kevin’s TAT and slab because we’ve got to get to my brother’s in NC by tomorrow to meet up and put some new rubber on the bikes. It’s been a lot of miles-400, 300 and 300, and we are looking forward to a more normal pace. Edge covered yesterday’s events which involved dusk closing in on us on the trail chasing a phantom campsite until we found a tiny piece of uncle Sam’s property in the form of a weather station. We set up camp next to the equipment hoping our bikes and bodies wouldn’t contribute to an erroneous global warming data point. Everything was wet from the rain and we couldn’t get a fire going so we ate freeze dried meals in the dark and fell asleep uneasily as the sound of coyotes crying got closer and closer.

The bike at the extra station at dawn.
    061145CE-0D72-4D02-85CE-14B4524CE12E.jpeg
    Interesting wooden structures down here.
    2BCBF7A5-F06D-440D-AC22-E239A945BC16.jpeg 35E3CD56-6E56-4BBD-BB01-CB4CDFCEEE32.jpeg 7046192F-6E43-48CA-A00A-D16BFB716E7D.jpeg
    Foiler, i4bikes and chudzikb like this.
  18. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    And here Edge eats a giant burrito.
    81CB7EF0-B77F-4B4E-A26A-B6F327748397.jpeg
    My wife fell in love with this Heeler because he has a heart on his head.
    0AB6C699-0A39-4618-ADC6-7784171CEF31.jpeg
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love the report!. I cannot make a left a the end of my driveway and be in the mountains. It takes about 30 minutes to the mountain for me.
    Your pictures of city riding, to me was frightening. The further west you get the better it will get. I haven't done the TAT, and probably never will. So please allow me to live vicariously through your report. Thanks!
  20. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Alright, now you are just whoring the dog out! And sadly, I love it!