TAT Tag Team Relay

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by svneko, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Edge,
    1. You've kept your record intact for falling while riding other people's bikes. A+ for consistency! :muutt
    2. Ribs...I feel your pain. Done mine twice, and hoo-boy does that hurt! Very tough/adventurous co-worker who has injured/broken himself in many fun and interesting ways said that his cracked ribs were at the top of his pain scale. "Definitely the worst pain I've ever had." Until then, my boss thought I was wimping out!

So if you find yourself gasping as you get up or down, waking up instantaneously in the middle of the night with excruciating pain after rolling onto your "bad" side, deciding whether it's really worth the effort to stand up at a given point in time...it's all par for the course. Anything less than that, and you're doing pretty good!

Good news is that unless you've actually successfully broken a bone, there is no treatment except Advil, passage of time and try not to bang 'em up again! Have 'ol @svneko pick up your bike in future falls, make him do all the bending over and picking up stuff, bring dinner/beer to you, etc. It's in his interest if he still wants you to keep riding with him. You gotta take it a bit easy cuz they take weeks to heal.

And for G**'s sake, don't fall on the same place again! I did that and just about passed out. :wings
  2. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I didn't keep dropping other people's bikes . I'm the guy in the group who always drips his bike. I really want to change that!

I told @svneko today that if I drop the bike I am going to need help. He replied "don't drop the bike!". That is my goal

Going to take some Advil tonight. The beer we just had should help too! Getting on and off the bike hurts but riding is not bad. Just need to stay upright the rest of the way!
  3. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Yea, basically, but I’m gonna make it my trademark for this thread.
    chudzikb likes this.
  4. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Edge,

Don't worry about dropping the bike...just ribbing you a bit! :doh

In the words of the great RTWPaul, "If you ride your bike offroad, you will drop the bike." I think it's a given.

Just ride easy, and if you do drop it again, just stand and wait for @svneko to show up. He tried to weasel out of promising to help you, but if you stand there helplessly, he'll eventually get the point! :dirtdog Judging by his cold-hearted response, he's obviously not cracked his ribs before!
  5. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    He's helped me pick up my bike on various rides many times. And that was my GS. I am sure he will be happy to help out picking up the much lighter KLR
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ribs are simply the worst. Takes over a month to heal properly, and gut wrenching pain during that month. Used to happen to me all the time running trails, hit a root and down. What I found helpful was sleeping in a recliner. Not that helps you now, but, maybe when you get home.
    edgeoftheworld and Jedi2Rider like this.
  7. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Well @Jedi2Rider , if it’s any consolation to ya, Edge will post a video of me taking a really, really nasty fall and him laughing at me.
    Foiler and Jedi2Rider like this.
  8. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Looking forward to it! Friends laughing at friends is the best!
  9. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    We did a lot of riding Wednesday to make it to Boone NC. A lot of back roads but not a lot of dirt because we have to get to Valdese NC by Thursday. Wednesday was another long day with us arriving around 7:30 in Boone and getting a hotel before the rain arrived.

Here are a few pictures from my fall. I'll try to get some video up later. GH018132_1598019971070.JPG GH018132_1598019995472.JPG GH018132_1598020032707.JPG
    Foiler likes this.
  10. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    @svneko had a little spill earlier that day

GH018129_1598020755776.JPG GH018129_1598020770037.JPG
    Foiler and Jedi2Rider like this.
  11. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    And some random pics pulled from the GoPro from Wednesday

GH018125_1598020829180-01.jpeg GH018130_1598020614851-01.jpeg GH018152_1598021122584-01.jpeg GH018132_1598020500484.JPG
    Jedi2Rider and chudzikb like this.
  12. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    The water crossing
    GH018133_1598019872283.JPG GH018133_1598019900141.JPG GH018133_1598019909062.JPG GH018133_1598019922170.JPG
    Foiler, Jedi2Rider and chudzikb like this.
  13. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200822_144549_RGB_3203.JPG
    Tag team member #2 is ready to go. A week from today I'll be jumping on a plane to get into position. The bags are packed. Fear not. The big bag is ALL riding gear. The small bag is the camping gear and everything else that will need to find a home on the bike. The entire set-up, including helmet, boots, gloves, riding suit, tent, sleeping quilt, ground pad, stove, pot, clothes, electronics, and a lot more, is less than 45 lbs. FYI, the riding gear is the heavier portion, coming in at 25 lbs. Looking forward to saying "tag!" Fair winds
  14. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    20 lbs for the camping gear. Impwessive...since you have a week, perhaps you could list out your non-riding gear for the folks following along at home.
  15. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    Here's a short video of us falling over on Wednesday
  16. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    @svneko 's second fall was the best! Nothing like those 0-mph get-offs to really showcase a rider's talent!

Edge...I recognize that little groan at the end...that moment when you first realize, "Damn, my ribs hurt!"

Thanks for posting the falls guys...shows that it happens even to macho guys on nice easy terrain.

Stay safe, keep posting, have fun! Remember, you're riding for more than yourselves. I had to postpone my TAT till next year, so very much enjoying your ride.
  17. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting the falls. With these recordings, while I'll still feel bad if I drop Pete's bike in the coming weeks, as I dismount the vehicle I will know that I am joining an elite group of riders. It will be like flying. "Any landing from which you can walk away...".

Hey Edge, I hope those ribs pains are rapidly becoming a distant memory. Best wishes.

Fair winds.
  18. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jedi2Rider,
    Here is a link to my detailed list. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cw0GkznodagJTZF_huO6txjobCJZTdPVhYgVmRLakAc/edit?usp=sharing)

(If that link fails to work for you, try this one. It's a 'published' version.:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6rTqP73M12/pubhtml?gid=2094970811&single=true)

It was honed from my Pacific Crest Trail backpacking list. I have NOT included my riding gear or clothes that I'll wear on the airplane. It also does not include 'consumables' like food and water (although I do include the water filter and bottles). The setup weights 17.9 lbs (not including the duffel bag for the airplane).

Fair winds,
    BrontideRob
  19. Jedi2Rider

Oddometer:
    Boy, I'll say! All you had to say was "PCT" and you would have had total cred, but weighing everything in GRAMS, down to your DENTAL FLOSS!!????
    Wow, seriously serious, or perhaps OCD, hard to tell! Thanks for the list. I love to work from baselines like this. Saves so much time.

Look forward to seeing you on the trail.
  20. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The low speed get off's are my favorite to watch. Nice work guys!!
    Jedi2Rider likes this.