TAT Tag Team Relay

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by svneko, Aug 15, 2020.

1. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since my last post. We have had some long days and really wet days. Rain, rain, rain. We have either been tired at the end of the day or not had phone service or wifi. We stayed at @svneko 's brother's place Friday night after a short ride in the rain. Had a great time relaxing and playing jackbox.tv with the family.

The. Ext day we got new knobby tires installed at a place in Valdese, NC

IMG_20200822_091201.jpg

Those tires would be a problem soon after. The tires have been great in the dirt but awful on the road.

We met up with @carbonjunky Saturday morning at the cycle shop
    IMG_20200823_123445.jpg
    This is shortly after we got on the highway to cover some ground and I had a death wobble at 65 mph. Not a good feeling. We actually stopped at another shop today who said the tire was way out of balance. Feels better now

I have some pics from the GoPro that I have to organize and post up here but wanted to let everyone know we are still alive and traveling
    chudzikb likes this.
  2. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    OK, we’ll we’ve had rain is an understatement. We’ve ridden in heavy rain every day since last Wednesday, sometimes for hours at a time and straight through stopping time. So posting has been light because everything is wet.
    401F3DAC-AC21-4B20-983B-5A6FBA6FF594.jpeg
    Still it was spirited riding led by @carbonjunky on his home turf. He is a good guy and a better rider. He was nice enough to let us crash in his cabin in North Georgia one night.
    713FFCF9-CACC-47AA-823A-7F2238820CD6.jpeg
    And for you Heeler lovers, we are still working on this guy’s ball handling skills.
    Jedi2Rider and chudzikb like this.
  3. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Along the way we also met up with Jason who lives in NC and gets to ride his DRZ in all kinds of great terrain.
    FF1925E0-E813-4243-8EDB-EBEDADDD7FC9.jpeg
    we also met @Sandtrapped in Tellico Plains. He is doing the Smoky Mountain 500 on a sweet SWM.
    B8505F89-0553-4483-8952-575E11FB69F8.jpeg
    The KLR went down a couple times. Admittedly it’s a tough bike to get over this gnarly stuff fully loaded. But it’s all good. @edgeoftheworld a d I are back on our own and enjoying a beer by a fire in Northern Georgia by the Alabama border.
    AD9A7055-12DE-43E8-AFC1-906A08C8D437.jpeg 99FD2712-3F31-42AF-8D70-190FFA0C3964.jpeg
  4. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    And he’s good at getting the fire going.

5. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    I wish I had GoPro video from the fall on the rocks. I went rolling down the rocks for about 6 feet. My ribs were ok and no injuries at all. Really impressed with D30 armor!
    Foiler, chudzikb and Jedi2Rider like this.
  6. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Edge, Glad you're doing ok. Something I never really want to know is how good is my armor. At the same time, I'm really glad to hear yours is working well! It gives me hope for after you pass the baton this weekend. Fair winds (... and the sooner the better!)
    edgeoftheworld and Jedi2Rider like this.
  7. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are worrying me with all of these crashes on the easy stuff.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  8. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    A thank you to my brother Chris and his family for putting us up for the night and receiving tires to be installed there.
    0F0623EA-6BE8-4F64-A079-DD1DD73E94D4.jpeg
    We ultimately had to get them rebalanced as they were making odd wobbles and bounces at speed. Thanks to the good folks at Appalachian Mountain Rides and Motorcycle Service Center in McCaysville, Ga and Tom Longshore of Longshore Cycle Center in Florence, Ala for taking us in without an appointment and jumping us to the front of the service line. These are good places to patronize as they get what motorcycle travel is all about.
    F8303A6F-968F-47AC-ABDD-F89C06150600.jpeg
    @edgeoftheworld and I continued on into Mississippi and Arkansas continuing to dodge the constant rain and not fearing to slab it now and then because all we’d be missing was mud. The rain from the two tropical storms has been relentless.
    AABC77AE-B800-42A6-8441-1D96C72397AD.jpeg It’s hard to see but that’s a pig walking down the street across the road from us. Of course he didn’t mind the rain at all.
    1D4CC944-04C6-414A-A4B2-EB339A7C3C5D.jpeg
  9. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice shout-outs to the cool shops who helped you. Added those to my trip notes.

I hear you on the slabbing in the heavy rain to get around the mud. Made me consider my alternatives if faced with anything more than occasional rain, which I hadn't really done yet. Deep crappy mud can be a real trip-wrecker--either to bike or body. Nice graveled road...no problem. Mud road from hell...discretion may be the better part of valor here. Heading west gets you through the weather system that much faster and on to the Good Stuff.

Looking forward to the next post and the first "Tag".
  10. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Eventually, though the sun broke through in eastern Arkansas and we got to play around a bit in the heat
    A99E849D-24DC-4004-B81A-C68DD5C8B9B0.jpeg
    and the mud
    B8564BF7-0A46-4EB4-9084-6CA453451B49.jpeg
    of those Arkansas lowlands. I will tell you one thing. We were a bit sorry we put Tusk dual sports on the KLR after they gave Edge a near tank slapper on the highway. But they were unbalanced and running on 22lbs of air. Once we got them aired up a bit more and balanced they ran fine on the highway and were truly stellar off road. After that wipeout in the mud, the battlax adventurecross front on my bike was caked solid but the tusks cleared themselves out nicely. The KLR just tractored right through that stuff.

Eventually we made it to Little Rock, designated spot for the first handoff from @edgeoftheworld to @BrontideRob .
    FF9393EA-B132-4006-9B03-CBCAEC349C72.jpeg
    Edge and I had to push a bit to get there on time. 11 days from NY to Arkansas is no record but it required riding those extra miles when you just wanted a beer and a seat. It reminds one of the rule for visitors during our long distance sailing days - you can pick the time or the place but not both. It was good to ride with Edge and we had a great time, and I’m sure we’ll be back out on eastern trails sometime soon. The first stage of the relay is complete.
  11. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    @Jedi2Rider you didn’t have to wait long, eh. You should stop in at Longshore Cycles if you are in the area. Seems like you like little old dirt bikes and the storage space in Tom’s shop is full of ‘em. He collects, restores, rides and races them.
  12. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I predicted that nicely! Bring on Stage 2!

Great job Edge. Take it nice and easy on the ribs...remember weeks not days.

Thanks for the heads up on the old bikes. Will do for sure. But a 390 2-stroke is not exactly a "little" dirt bike. ;-)
    edgeoftheworld likes this.
  13. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TAT Relay Leg 2 Day 1 - @edgeoftheworld passed the baton (AKA the KLR 650) to me in Little Rock Arkansas.

The path on the first day from Little Rock is a great warm-up. That was important for me as it has been 7 years since I’ve been on a bike, and that prior experience was nearly all on the street.

The path begins with low speed asphalt, then faster speed as you make your way back to the TAT. Once on the TAT you get a good mix of gravel and light mud (It’s been raining) in short sections, with brief asphalt in between. It makes for a great place to develop new skills with time to think about what to improve before you hit the next stretch.

The path begins flat and then builds in steepness only slightly over the day. On Day 2 that will change as we enter the Ozarks. Stay tuned.

The KLR 650 has been very forgiving. “It’s like a tractor.” It has provided plenty of torque even at inappropriately lower rpm as it forgives my novice adventure rider blunders.

Until next time, fair winds.
    edgeoftheworld and chudzikb like this.
  14. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. BrontideRob

BrontideRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rain, rain go away. Come again some other day.
    5A0BD0F1-9819-460F-8455-F0C9FD01B2C2.jpeg
  16. Resolrider

Resolrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, at least the bikes are getting washed at night! ;-)
  17. edgeoftheworld

Oddometer:
    I am back home in CT now. I dropped the bike 3 times. I'm pretty pleased with that number. I'll blame user error and tires on the first one...Day 2 and not much off road riding this season. Second drop was minor and I hopped off. Third was on a somewhat steep rocky incline where I didn't have enough speed. User inexperience again. Considering the off road riding I did on this trip equaled all of the off road riding I have done ever prior to this trip, I am satisfied with how I did :)
    Jedi2Rider and Foiler like this.
  18. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found Relive a few weeks ago and love it. Ride safe.
  19. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, is it raining. Had a nice ride between rain storms through the Ozarks and spent the night at the TAT Shak. Neat place along the trail with cots or platforms for your bedroll, showers, electricity and even AC, but no connectivity. It started raining at about 1 am and continued non stop all day. We thought about waiting it out but decided to just make forward progress. Now in Fort Smith, Ark eyeing the Oklahoma border and hopefully drier rides. No pics, too wet to bother with camera.
    For the Heeler fans, the eye snout coordination is getting better.

20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great dog video! Never taught my red to play frisbee, she just wanted to run off. My old white sheppard was a champ at that game, sadly missed.