TAT- Toothless Learns to Fly

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tenatra, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,

Long time Lurker, First time Poster from Middle Tennessee here.
    I'm not sure this will be considered EPIC compared to a lot of the stuff around here, but I'm willing to write a bit for those who may be interested.

This is my first ADV ride with any real distance besides riding sportbikes less than 1,000 miles over a weekend or something. I've been all up and down the east coast, but have never been west much further than Nashville, TN.

With that being said, I managed to con my employer out of a couple weeks this summer to take a 16 day paid vacation (Seriously though, I'm salaried). Being on limited time constraints, I am going to try and ride as much of the TAT as I feel I comfortably can. I'll have to make it home in that 16 days as well.

On July 14th, I'll be leaving Tennessee and heading West for the first time ever in my 28 (29 by the time I leave) years of existence. I plan to keep this updated throughout the trip, connection provided.
  2. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who is toothless?

A thread is worthless without pics...

Toothless is the nickname of my trusty steed (2003 KLX 400).
    After the headlight install, my wife said... "That's looks like that dragon from the cartoon, you know...the black one."

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. mojo1829

mojo1829 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tenatra likes this.
  4. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some people will like this part, some won't.
    I'm keeping track of expenses on the trip.
    I've made an expenses / packing list for what I've already spent preparing for the trip.
    It's may be edited slightly before I leave, but this list should be about everything I'm taking.

I'll weigh my gear if I get a chance after it is all together (Still waiting on the tent)

[​IMG]
  5. dbc105

dbc105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located in Tenn? I ask because I am in North Alabama and a NATRA member and looking at your user name left me wondering if you are close by.
    Knuckle Buster and Tenatra like this.
  6. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm from the Upper Cumberland Area.

I had no idea what Natra is.. I just had to Google it. Lol.

Tenatra was an abbreviation of an inside joke between some friends and I.. which became my xbox gamertag and forum name.

It's all just a coincidence.
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Knuckle Buster likes this.
  7. dbc105

dbc105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny, the TAT runs right alone the side of the NATRA property(Westpoint, Tn) and we from time to time see riders come thru. A few of us are in the planning stages of a TAT run and if we know when you are coming thru we can ride up and meet up. We have a member with a motorcycle shop in Leoma, Tn and he keeps tire and such in stock and there is also a creek crossing on one of the roads just adjacent to the property that I see on YouTube vids pretty often.

Will you be posting ride reports here?
    Tenatra likes this.
  8. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving my home on July 14th at 6 a.m. with no other time line in mind. I'm about an hour north of part of the TAT, so I'm going south to meet up with it and heading West from there.

I'll definitely be rolling through Leoma sometime later that day unless things go wrong.

I plan to keep this report updated daily as permitted, but would love to ride with someone from time to time.
  9. dbc105

dbc105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you keep updated here someone will join up with you. We are not yet ready to run it but we'll try to meet you up around Loretta/Leoma/Westpoint area when you come through. When we go we are going to have to do it in sections, we all work and have to work around that. Our plan so far is to go east to at least Maggie Valley, maybe Andrews and then head back this way and see if we can get as for as Westpoint before our time for the first stint is up.
  10. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I managed to swing 2 weeks off of work including the 3 weekends...so 16 days. I'm going as far as I can at whatever pace I feel comfortable riding solo. Maybe when you guys get to the sections I didn't get to in the future I can ride those with you.

Knuckle Buster likes this.
  11. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went and did a bit of testing after work on some newly discovered trails near there.
    Ended up hitting an unseen tree in the long grass and was thrown over the handlebars. Bike is intact. I'll be sore tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Knuckle Buster and delux2769 like this.
  12. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As departure day grows closer, people ask about the trip I am taking. When I tell them about it, their usual response is, "Why would you want to do that? Are you crazy?" or "That sounds miserable."

Only a couple of my biker friends seem to understand the appeal.

SWMBO isn't excited about the trip, but knows I'll do it anyway and is supporting me. She even paid for my tires and tent. Her family (and much of my own) is against me going at all and possibly being stranded riding solo (or worse). I was unable to find someone who could coordinate the ride with me on the timeline I need to keep.

Most people simply don't understand this bug that has bitten us.

In the age of cell phones, social media, bathroom confusion syndrome, identity crisis, and instant gratification... Has everyone simply lost their sense of adventure?

Or... maybe I really am delusional and riding all day on trails in all kinds of weather in the middle of nowhere in July is a bad way to enjoy myself?

I guess we'll find out shortly.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting away from it all will do you a lot of good. Not may get the why you would go into the unknown with limited resources. Challenges are to be met in video games, not in the real world! My wife has it on pretty good rumor that I am, and all my friends, are insane! So, you are in good company.
    bike and Tenatra like this.
  14. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! Best of luck!
    Tenatra likes this.
  15. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed

Looking forward to watching your adventure. Hoping to find time to do it myself soon.
    Tenatra likes this.
  16. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not going to lie, I like me some video games. Lol.

Here is my currently growing collection. Still lacking in a few systems I want to add.

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and ArdenLoneWolf like this.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got nothing for that! Just walking along, nothing to see here, nothing at all...
    Tenatra likes this.
  18. ButchCoolidge

ButchCoolidge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After this...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe he can redeem himself by showing us that Mustang in the garage.
    [​IMG]
  19. bike

bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are many of us here that can not only relate, but even thrive on hearing that from others. I need to do something at least every few months that 90% of people think is stupid, or I'll go insane.
    Maximus64 and Tenatra like this.
  20. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll try to not get too off topic, but right now I'm killing time until I leave. Here's my neverending project. I'm 8 years into the mustang at this point and only started driving it last September. It's first official drive was to go to my wedding. Hell of a way to test a car.. right?

Well, It had been raining all morning. We were having an outside wedding that evening. When I went to the car to leave, the clouds almost immediately parted after the storm and the sun was shining bright. I can't even make this stuff up, but the first song on the radio station when I fired up the car that day was "White Wedding" by Billy Idol.

Everything went as planned that evening, the rain from earlier kept the temperature nice. She said yes (who knows why)... The car made it all the way to the wedding and to our new home.
    We had just closed on a new house, and I had picked up the keys to the house the previous afternoon. We spent our wedding night in our brand new house on an air mattress. The electricity was still on from the previous owner.

Talk about when planets align and everything goes perfectly... All this was after a very stressful year of house hunting and wedding planning. We were actually supposed to be moved in 2 months prior to the wedding, but had financing problems.

Drove to Key West (16 hours) the next day and was chased off by an evacuation for Hurricane Irma. Couldn't expect everything to go perfectly.. Right? Standing at the gas pumps trying to evacuate 1300 miles from home, and my credit card was shut off by my bank.. Long story short.. Terrible Honeymoon. :rofl

[​IMG]

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.. The TAT...