TAT- Toothless Learns to Fly

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tenatra, Jun 21, 2018.

1. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you're underway. That's a big first day. If you dont pace yourself you'll be done in a week!
  2. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slow down and smell the roses or it'll go by real fast.
    Staxrider and norton73 like this.
  3. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    Yeah buddy...
  4. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in Arkansas bored out of my mind...

Turning around and going to the Mountains for a few days.. Ride the Dragon and go do the Devils triangle.

Call this a TAT failure..

Chain has stretched like crazy. I'm completely out of adjustment and I'm just over it at this point
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

It's not a failure if your head and heart choose something different. The TAT just isn't the ride you're suppose to be on right now. No shame in that.

Find a local MC/ATV shop and grab a new chain. The $50-70 bucks it costs will be worth the peace of mind for your journey home. Pick an enjoyable route for your return trip and keep the mileage under 150 a day for the rest of your ride home. You may surprise yourself with how much you enjoy your ride once the "plan" is tossed aside.

Whatever you choose stay safe and thanks for sharing you trip!
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    good suggestions all. Take a breath and enjoy the ride.
  7. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted out of Arkansas.

Topped off the tank, threw in my headphones, and found I40. Spent the next couple hours thinking about how I was bailing on a trip I've wanted to do for 3 years.

The front tire was dancing back and forth and attempting a headshake every time it was blasted from a gust of wind by a truck. I was riding on a a bent rim that I figured was good enough or backroads.The chain was out of adjustment and slapping like 2 horny teenagers. Wasn't sure it'd hold, but I was going to find out.

Finally reached Memphis a couple hours later. Grabbed more fuel, chugged a Gatorade, and got back on the interstate.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few miles up the road, the klx's barely audible humm give away to a certifiable scream. Now what!?!

I had figured a header bolt had backed out or fell off and allowed the exhaust to back off the block a bit. I was a bit worried about the valves, but decide to press on. I didn't have a spare bolt, and there certainly weren't any hardware store open at this point.

I couldn't hear myself think..a plus I guess considering my thoughts weren't enjoyable.
    I saw heavy clouds in the distance.. Great, I'm heading into a storm. "Better stop and see if I I can get this exhaust sorted", I thought. Pulled under an overpass.

KIMG0099.jpg
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    might be time to call for help
  10. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wrong. The header bolt hadn't backed out, the rivets were gone from the can, along with half the packing.

KIMG0100.jpg

Didn't have any wire or rivets, but a quick zip tie surgery had me ready to give it another go. Figured that would hold for a few minutes at least.

KIMG0102.jpg

Threw my tunes back in. I didn't bother put on my rain suit, as I was still burning up from Arkansas and engine heat. Some rain actually sounded good at this point.

I hammered down the throttle and pointed the bike straight into the storm ahead. The skies opened up and dropped everything they had. I couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me. Temperatures had dropped 20 degrees at least over the last hour. Chain still slapping. Front tire wobbling all over the wet and steaming slab. Bike roaring down the highway and chewing up the miles. "Let's just see how bulletproof these little 400 motors are."

You'd think at this point, I should probably call it a night..take a break.. gather myself in the morning... But what's this?

I am actually finally having a good time riding even though Toothless seems to be disintegrating beneath me. That's strange.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hunt down another gas station and assess the damages.. yeah.. gunna need a couple more zip ties...

I'm fairly cold now..probably should have put on that rain gear. Only 120 miles to go. Plastics have melted a bit by the exhaust and a small hole has burned into my bag.. It should hold.

Finally, I roll into my home at about 11.. bike sounding like an open header V8... 550ish more miles logged.. Shower, food, bed.

I may not be an adventurer, but I sure do love riding.

I'll be sorting the bike out over the next couple of days and finding somewhere else to go play.

Looks like I'm doing the TAT in sections. Next time I want to pick it up on the other side of Oklahoma, after driving there in a truck.

Mods, you may move this report to day tripping.
  12. MrAndMrsZINC

Oddometer:

Wrong.

Sounds like the start of a nice little adventure to me... Nice go of it. All these other guys doing it in one shot, nah!you are like me, have a bunch of stuff go wrong the first time and it takes a few, but when its done it is that much more satisfying.... Been there, many times
    :nod
    i4bikes, Tenatra and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Dude, you're definitely an adventurer!! 500+ miles in a day on a klx400? That's beast level stuff!!

Sorry to hear that this particular ride went south but damn man, what a great learning experience!!

Kudos to you for capping the Ride Report and gaving the courage to not only say "this is to much right now!" But to also have the balls to talk about it. A lot of riders would benefit from understanding that dping what you did is not only smart in many circumstances but it shows quite a bit of wisdom.

Thank you for sharing and if you're ever in south FL, please don't hesitate to hit me up.

Dave
  14. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DID 520 x ring chain.. 1200 miles of use

KIMG0105.jpg
    Adjuster nearly maxed. Was just after the start a few days ago.

KIMG0104.jpg
  15. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the boost and the offer Dave!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a few pics I took... KIMG0091.jpg
    KIMG0095.jpg KIMG0096.jpg
    MrAndMrsZINC and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmmI can't figure out what happened to your chain. 1200 miles
    Tenatra likes this.
  18. MrAndMrsZINC

Oddometer:
    ^^^ what he said.... Thats wild:confused
    Bet i couldnt stretch it that much if i tried to!?
    Tenatra likes this.
  19. TBItoy

TBItoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's why I rarely rode west of Carthage from Cookeville. Misery

Too much good riding close to home.
    Tenatra likes this.
  20. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea about the chain. I've ran DID chains on sport bikes for years. Ordered a new chain and a new chain guide since it destroyed the stock one while it was stretching. Hoping to have better luck.

Going to repack the exhaust today, and new chain and guide will be here tomorrow. Hoping to get it all together and take off Thursday and go somewhere..

Thinking a couple days fishing in north Florida would do me some good. Right now though, my hands are still numb from the ride home.
    MrAndMrsZINC and Ginger Beard like this.