TAT- Toothless Learns to Fly

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tenatra, Jun 21, 2018.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride the new MABDR!
    Ginger Beard and Tenatra like this.
  2. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the suggestion. Had to Google it. Just downloaded and imported the track into my GPS!

Think I could do the MABDR and then the iron butt on the way home? Haha

Just got a shipping update. Chain is delayed til Thursday. Just repacked and fixed my exhaust. Not sure how to handle the holes in my bags yet.
  3. BLucare

BLucare F5 + AER 2020

Oddometer:
    I'm finally getting around to responding here. I won't repeat what others have said, but in short: don't worry about it! Life happens. The best you can do is admit that it went wrong and learn from it (which you have :thumb).

We've all been there (and some of us will even admit it on the Internet). There are rides that just don't go to plan. I had my bike packed last year for a five-day ride, and didn't even make it out of town before a minor mechanical issue made me turn around. I ended up packing my gear in my car and camped out of that instead. Turns out, it was a real intervention: it rained for five days straight, all over where I was planning on riding! The car saved my bacon, I would have been miserable on the bike, and I fixed the minor issue that made me turn around anyway.

Moral of the story: don't hang your head, mate. At least you caught the chain issue before it snapped in the middle of nowhere on a mountain in Colorado. You'll be back on the horse before you know it, and catching fish in Florida. Thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this forum.

- BL
    taranaki, PackinDirt and Tenatra like this.
  4. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! MABDR is the plan now. Stay tuned. :1drink
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Cool!! :clap
  6. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KIMG0120.jpg New chain and guide, fresh oil, exhaust packed, a couple new stickers, a bath...ready for round 2 starting in the morning.
    John2453, BLucare, norton73 and 4 others like this.
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What could go wrong?
    Tenatra likes this.
  8. FarmerKeith

FarmerKeith Anything with wheels...

Oddometer:
    Awww geeezzzz!
    Tenatra likes this.
  9. ONE2NINE

ONE2NINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In for round 2. Good luck!
    norton73 likes this.
  10. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Luck with Round 2. Way to stay positive and roll with the punches. After the MABDR there are plenty of twisty secondary roads headed back south. If time permits there is no need to abuse yourself on 81 coming south.
  11. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dragon is the one of the best ways to ride the TAT and Toothless is a good name!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine has a tendency to get distracted and then snap at the ankles of small to medium sized animals at the side of the trail. Needs a firm hand on the reins.

Your chain stretching so quickly was weird - are your sprockets in a good condition? a worn chain will kill a good sprocket quickly, and a worn sprocket will kill a good chain too.

Best of luck on the rest of your trip - looking forward to reading about it.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chain and sprockets were both brand new. Logged 260ish miles of back roads so far today. Lots of curves. Just arrived at the start if the MABDR. Checking for campsites up the road for tonight. Nice bike!
    i4bikes and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KIMG0124.jpg

Been rolling through the mountains the last couple hours. Mostly winding paved roads following bubbling trout streams followed by the occasional gravel road with a steep climb. Pizza hut now, then trying to find a place to camp. Messed up my order after a super long wait, so it's free. Win.

KIMG0125.jpg
    ONE2NINE, bkendig76, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  14. BigWrench

BigWrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and do the report, that is what makes this type
    of adventure for the reader/follower. Facing troubles on the journey is what makes it real for the rider.
    You're definitely and adventurer, here's to you.
  15. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    Advice for next attempt? Skip Oklahoma and Texas. Start back in New Mexico and enjoy.
    Tenatra likes this.
  16. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped by some interstate "campground" spot about 8. Decided that was terrible and went over to Hungry Mother state park.

Nice place, but $30 to pitch a tent? Ridiculous. No electric available, but has showers.

I've spent the night getting hammered by the storms. 5 am now and too uncomfortable to sleep. About to go shower and see if the rain breaks for me. Too bored to hang around here for much longer.
    KIMG0128.jpg
    KIMG0127.jpg KIMG0126.jpg
    Ginger Beard and i4bikes like this.
  17. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about the storms, Good Luck. I'll be on the MABDR soon myself.
    Tenatra likes this.
  18. Tenatra

Tenatra Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update.. As it turns out, the gear at the door of my tent got completely soaked. Jacket, helmet, boots, gloves and half my clothes.

Checked the weather forecast, and it was calling for storms the next few days and lots of rain all week. I packed up and went home.

I'll definitely be completing this trip later. The part that I completed was a lot of fun.
    taranaki, Ginger Beard and i4bikes like this.
  19. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    can't blame you. I did that on a ride to Arkansas a few years ago. Forecast was horrid for the entire length of the trip. There ended up being some flooding. I turned around before I got there. Live too ride another day.
    Tenatra and i4bikes like this.
  20. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Might have some insight on your chain....keep an open mind here ....:D
    You might have had the chain too tight at the very start of your trip.
    On most bikes, as the swing arm travels up into the frame, and the bike squats down, the chain gets tighter.
    If the chain does not have e-nuf play at full shock / suspension travel, something has to give.
    This puts a great deal of force on the chain and the wheel bearing and counter shaft bearings.
    When adjusting the chain, look for tight spots in the chain and make your wheel adjustment at the tightest position.
    I discovered this phenomena with a old chain that I failed to find and adjust the chain to the tight spot.
    I thought I had a flat tire, with the rear end acting odd.
    Nope. No flat. Rode some more. Swing arm bearings?
    Grabbed the rear tire to check for swing arm play and shook it side to side.
    That's when the rear wheel bearings started to fall out on to the road.:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3

Schcool of hard knocks are not soon to be forgot! Ride on !
    wncstrada likes this.