TAT Trip Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LateNate, Jun 11, 2012.

1. LateNate

LateNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good man!

I am bringing a headlamp for camping etc. Do you have a headlamp? If so you can get rid of that small flashlight cause you'll have a headlamp.

Other than that, it gives me a pretty good idea what I should bring.
  2. roaming_art

roaming_art In transit...

Oddometer:
    Yessir, I have a headlamp! Same one issued back in the Ole' Station Days! :rofl JB weld. One of us should bring JB weld for sure.
  3. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Well, got to test out some of my gear yesterday on a few North Shore fire roads/trails in San Bernardino! Temps were in the low 80’s, beautiful cloudless skies, they were perfect riding conditions!

Silverwood Lake
    [​IMG]

Started off really chill up in till we hit Pinnacles. Then there were water crossings, lots of loose sand/rocky sections and some pretty tough hill climbs. I had a blast!
    [​IMG]

Shade break, let the engine cool, checked the maps to make sure I was on course. Loving the KLIM Dakar pants! They breathe really well, not sure how they will work in the rain though. Might need to bring along a pair of my frog togs pants to wear underneath if it gets wet.
    [​IMG]

The end of the ride, I met up with some OCMOTO crew. Here we cooled off in the shade and the running spring water. Enjoyed some lunch and talked motorcycles of course!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures never do these shots justice.
    [​IMG]

Had to air down the tires a bit, think I went down to 20-25 combo and that worked well for the K761's. Got a chance to use the 12v slime pump and it worked perfectly getting my tires back up to 35psi real quick for the 100 mile ride home. All in all I think I rode 250 miles that day. My back was killing me on the ride home! Hahaha, going to have to do this more often in prep for the trip.
    [​IMG]
  4. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Finally got the countershaft sprocket off today, called around a bunch of hardware and auto places to see if I could rent an impact driver, and nobody would do it. So, I ended up hitting up a local motorcycle shop (M&C Motorcycles, Long Beach CA-highly recommended) and asked if they would kindly break the bolt for me. The manager hooked it up and didn’t even charge me! So I rode it home and got to work:

[​IMG]

Got the front sprocket off and managed to clean up a lot of my gear oil mess.

[​IMG]

Harbor Freight chain breaker worked like a charm! Had no issues knocking the rivet out, I read some complaints of the pin on these breaking while applying torque…no issues here.

[​IMG]

Fed the new chain through…

[​IMG]

Bought one of Eagle Mikes prevailing torque nuts, sourcing the rare 30mm ½” socket from Sears. It will be nice not having to deal with bending that stubborn safety washer in the future.

[​IMG]

Went with a Sunstar 43 for the rear, and a Primary Drive 16 in the front for now, will carry a new Sunstar 15t with me to Tennessee. I was a little disappointed replacing my sprockets. The teeth were still in great shape…but the bike has 27,771 miles on the original rear sprocket and chain, and about 17,000 miles on the front sprocket….rather do this now then on the trail.

[​IMG]

Bolted it up, looks good! Ladies love a new chain and sprockets fellas. Adjusted the chain slack and we’re back in business.

[​IMG]

I did manage to install the clip master link backwards. Ugh, will have to fix this when I get back from the beach. 90 degrees out here in Long Beach! The refreshing ocean water is calling….

[​IMG]
  5. LateNate

Oddometer:
    I didn't get a ton of working pics but here is an almost finished product.

Gonna be sad the first time I lay her down on the TAT.

I still have a few more things i need to do.
    Misc nuts and bolts
    Powerlet adapters
    Install part of the crash bars/rear brake cylinder guard

I also have a tank bag and dry bag that will go on her.

[​IMG][/URL]
  6. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Check your mailbox bro.
  8. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    So, I leave for Missouri in about 2 weeks to meet up with Nate. Just a few small things left to be taken care of. I’m going to be making a trip up to Hemet, CA. to have Lendon with Seat Concepts install new foam and a seat cover to replace my stocker. My stock seat is splitting at the seams…I guess 4 years, 28,000 miles will do that.

Need to source:

Spark plug wrench that’s gone missing from my toolkit (missing as in stolen, thx LBC!)
    Spare clutch cable
    Set of sealed wheel bearings

I’m planning to do a swing arm and rocker lube job just before departure as well. Tires are waiting for us at Wheelers Performance in Robbinsville, NC so everything seems to be falling into place. I did manage to drop and break my camera a few weeks ago, which led me to purchase an Olympus XZ-1. I’ve been messing with this thing and it’s been taking really great pictures (for me at least). Great point in shoot with lots of manual functions.
    Some sample pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. LateNate

Oddometer:
    These are gonna be my outer threads.

Probably gonna be hot and hell though! But I am not spending more money on more gear, just keep the zips open and hydrate.

[​IMG]
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh that gear will be just fine sometimes.
    Tincup pass in late June. Impassable

[​IMG]

California pass ---same thing.

[​IMG]
  11. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Wow, good stuff Mark. Thanks for posting those pics. I personally don't want to lug around everything that I could potentially need to stay comfortable along the TAT. You'd need a good sized trailer to do that. :puke1 Pack light, freeze at night. You gotta be cold to appreciate when it's warm and you gotta sweat your balls off a bit to appreciate when it cools down. I imagine we'll be doing a bit of both. :rofl
  12. LateNate

Oddometer:
    Pack light, freeze at night, I like that.

I say that sitting in my hermetically sealed room. :evil

13. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I've found my sleeveless electric vest is the best light weight gear I've ever found for riding where you encounter occasional temporary cold weather.
  14. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Right on man, which model do you use, and what kind of draw does it take? I've just always been wary of putting additional loads on the KLR's charging system. Never needed to push start the damn thing, but I'd hate to have to do it on the trail.

This guy did alright in a parking lot I guess...hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XIaVFy0G10&feature=player_detailpage
  15. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roads should be dry in nevada.Had %50-%60 of normal snowfall in the sierras this winter.But I have seen it snow in the nevada high country in the summer.It melts the next day.
  16. LateNate

Oddometer:
  17. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Here's to fair weather and openning passes! :beer

Sweet!!! Well we both have center stands so I guess no pushing for these guys! :rofl
  18. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I've been using this one for the better part of 25 years:eek1 It is a Widder which I think is out of production. I used it on the Iron Butt rides, transcontinental rides and the CDT along with my street riding and dirt riding. Keeping the core warm is the key for me. I've used it on everything from a 230L to WR250R to a dozen HD (all stock stators) among others and most recently I used it on my KTM 525EXC with a trail tech stator, never had an issue with current draw. It has a thermostat that I set on the lowest comfortable setting, I has kept me warm in a lot of cold summer riding situations and it takes up almost no room roller up.
  19. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Wow, I will definitely be looking into a vest. Love hearing long term gear testaments like that. Thanks for the recommendation!

In other news, another inmate reminded me that we can't forget to bring along some disinfecting wipes. I might try baby wipes, I've heard it recommended on here before. So Nate, pick some up if you haven't already. I'm not applying any soothing ointment to your arse when you start chafing. :lol3

Okay back to homework :(
  20. roaming_art

Oddometer:
    Officially leaving on June 10th for Missouri!!!! One week to go!!!! Everything's confirmed and I'm more then ready..Have had trouble with Seat Concepts not returning my calls and messages, so unless I hear from them this week I'll be rocking the fraying stock seat for the ride. Not too worried about it, but I'm kind of over calling them every couple days with no avail. Anyone think a 16" Estwing axe is unnecessary for the TAT? I was wanting to bring something to chop firewood at night and an occasional downed tree on the trail. But I'm not sold on having to lug it around across country just yet. Any input would be much obliged. Cheers.