TAT - Whose Tracks?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Vic5491, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested in knowing what set of tracks are best for the portion of the TAT that runs from just north of Chattanooga, TN over to the Arkansas / Oklahoma line.

I have heard that much of Sam's initial route was mostly paved and gravel roads and very little real dirt riding but I also heard that Sam has released a new route (2017?) that gets you on significantly more dirt than was on his original route. Is that true?

Supposedly Kevin's route seems similar to Sam's older route but reputedly his routes/tracks take you through some private property and some of the owners are not too nice nowadays. Some have threatened to take legal action to stop riders.

I guess I am simply asking what tracks would give me the best ride between TN and the OK line and which would minimise my chances of being on someone's property without a proper invitation?

Vic
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sam's routes are going to be more reliable. You are going to have more of an "adventure" following Kevin's. Tracks that cross private property, gps indicating that there is trail but it is obvious that he just drew a line across the countryside with the computer, etc.
    ecarnell likes this.
  3. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Do you know 1st hand what the ride would be like on Sam's latest tracks for the area I am talking about? If his latests tracks give you more dirt than his older ones and if most who have ridden it feel it was a good ride, then I'll most likely go with his tracks. I like the idea of not ending up on private property.

Can I hear from someone who has ridden Sams route lately?
  4. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I do not have first hand experience with the current maps and that section. In my opinion I found Kevins to be more fun but my definition or fun can be different than others. Getting lost, stuck, having to take detours, having encounters with land owners, is fun for me. If a trip goes completely to plan, it is kind of boring.

I avoid any property that is posted no trespassing, where the land owner obviously does not want anyone crossing. I have had many encounters on unposted property, usually it is that I unknowingly crossed from public property to private at some point. Sometimes I am invited to camp there for the night or to come back another time. Sometimes we have a little discussion on how to get around their property and I go on my way. I find that people are very defensive when someone is wearing a helmet and sunglasses and their mood changes drastically when they can see my eyes and face.
    95Monster, Black Rhino and i4bikes like this.
  5. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand your perspective and was like you earlier in life. But for now, I'd rather go the extra mile to avoid riding on someone's private land. I'm not saying one way is right and the other is wrong. It is just what I prefer to do.

Did Kevin's routes route you over better dirt than Sam's?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    We never followed Sams. We had both as options and Kevin's looked more exciting. I would recommend having both, that way if one or the other is not working out as you like, you can jump over to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I may end up doing just that.
  8. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see that Kevin now has a 2017 release available but it appears that it is NOT available for free. He wants $38 to allow you to download it unless I am missing something. In fact on that same page he talks about Open Source and how he is giving it all away but I can't find a way to download his tracks without paying to do so.

https://sites.google.com/a/gpskevinadventurerides.com/gpskevin-adventure-rides/trans-america-trail

Go to the bottom of this page and you will see the $38 to download bit.

If someone knows how I can get the 2017 tracks without paying $38 for them, please let me know.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    When his tracks were available for free, they were worth what you paid for them. I don't know if I'd pay for his stuff. $38 is not a ton of money though.
    Migolito likes this.
  10. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can still get them free. He just makes it seem like it cost money. If you got to the map. At the bottom in tiny, tiny print there is a link for a larger map. That will take you to google maps and from there you can download the way points.
  11. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked and found what you were talking about but I don't see any reasonable way to download the many route segments. All I see is the ability to download and name each segment as a KML file and then convert that using gpsbabel or something similar. If you know an easier way, please share it with me.

Thanks!
  12. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking at it in google maps in the top left you'll see 3 vertical dots just after the name of the map. If you click on that then you can download the whole map as a KLM file.
  13. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not too savy when it comes to tracks but that is what I want. Can you convert the entire map into all of the different track files he has listed? If so, how?
  14. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That I'm not sure of. But I did find this website, https://kml2gpx.com/, that will convert everything from KLM to GPS.
  15. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had already tried that one and it failed. Tried it again and it failed again. I'll see if I can find another conversion program.
  16. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you figure it out post a link. Thanks
  17. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried GPSBabel and the one you suggested and one other and none do the job. I give up. Kevin should make it as easy for us to get 2017 version as 2016 and without charging. Either that or he needs to quit acting like he gives it away when he doesn't.
  18. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you've got questions about Sam's route, why not just call him and ask him directly? We rode his tracks (full pkg from him) a couple of years ago and he was extremely helpful in his advice before and after the purchase. He answered his phone every time I called him and was very friendly and helpful each time. Why rely on dubious forum advice when you can just ask the man himself.
  19. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a call into Sam as we speak but I have not heard from him. I suspect he is busy with family or something over this holiday period.

But there are some things I'd rather ask inmates that either Sam or Kevin. For instance, how was the ride using his package? How much unpaved route was there between say Tellico Plains and the AR/OK line? Was there anything challenging at all on this eastern section? If so, what was it and where in general was it?

BTW, I wrote gpsKevin to ask if his tracks are still available for free and following is the reply I received.

<<
    Vic,

Go to the very bottom of the below webpage. The TAT tracks are not free but you can download the GPX format for $38.

http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/trans-america-trail

Regards,
    Jane Glassett>>

So much for his belief in Open Sharing and all of the stuff that he used to believe in. :( He still says they are free on http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/ but then you cannot get the routes in GPX format without paying $38 to download them.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Your pissed Kevins maps are not easy to download and your pissed that they arent free. Seriously! Kick down the 38 bucks or use AAA maps. I can't believe your bitching on a public forum about wanting something free that someone else put work in to.