TavisB's TAT 2010 (solo) Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TavisB, Sep 20, 2009.

1. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Well, if your front suspension is completely compressed, how much room between the tire and fender do you have?

You could build a spacer block to go between the fender and the triple tree.
    Maybe even up to two inches. and you might even be able to "nose down" the fender a couple a degrees at the same time. as long as it can't hit the radiator or leave a gap to it for rocks and stuff.

I bet a 1" space box that adds a 5deg forward tilt would work great. but I have never owned a DR-Z or tried this mod on any bike.
    Just seams like it would work to me.

Also, if they make a Sylvania Silverstar insert bulb for your head light, what ever one you use, it will make a huge difference to the light output you get per watt needed. and for not a lot of $.

Anybody think I am nuts on the fender idea?
  2. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Top box has power now. This will be for charging camera batteries and my phone.

[​IMG]
  3. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Have an April build date reserved for a Renazco seat :)
  4. dhillr

dhillr Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is pretty cool. Why didn't I think of that??
  5. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will not regret getting that seat made. I know for a fact I do not. Anyone who I met on the trail all wanted a seat like that and said the next trip they will have one. I like the power plug too. Get a tiny compressor so you can power it up for tire stuff. The CO2 things are not a good idea for this trip. I even bought one and found it took way to many cylinders to fill a tire.
  6. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  7. NOTAR_520

NOTAR_520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghilly had a NICE seat, I think it was $$ well spent.

The power plugs are nice. We had planned to Motel the trip, so we brought wall chargers for Phone, cameras and rechargeable batteries. We lost all the chargers on the first day of the trail(lol), a power plug and some 12v chargers would of saved the day. I didn't do any electrical mods to keep things KISS, but in the future I'll add some power plugs.

Powered pumps, I'm on the fence, we packed hand pumps(in the camelbak;s), BUT when we had a tire changing party in Trinidad, the guys with powered pumps broke them out, and they Rocked. Next big trip for me, I'll still be packing a hand pump, but the guys I ride with have some cool electric pumps :)

KLR Mike gave up some juice for our phone while on the road, a very worth while setup, and Ghilly's charger also fit our laptop(thanks for the juice). Power is a PLUS.

Your setup is looking good.

:D
  8. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    This worked great for me and if I want I can take it off, butt, it is to comfortable, so I keep it on. $20 at the local upholstery shop, I just cut the foam and took the bike to the shop and showed the man how it was going to be on the bike and the best thing that I have done to the bike!!
    [​IMG]

I did the whole TAT in sept it worked awesome could not see sending the kind of $ they want for a seat that you might not like.

Another view;

[​IMG]
  9. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I weighed myself and all my luggage loaded up this morning. I'm 185 and luggage/equipment was 40 lbs. Combined total should be around 230lbs (with the tank bag and contents). Not too bad. But I still have to purchase the following:

air pump/tube repair items
    SPOT
    spare plugs
    spare air filter

Plus I figure I still have a few lbs of tools to add and I didn't add in the weight of the roll charts.
  10. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Did a 200 mile on/off road solo ride (~90/10%) today to see what 200 miles on a DRZ felt like. It's actually WAY better than 200 miles on my sportbike :). Got to ride some rocky trails and gave the skid plate a workout. Got muddy. Fun stuff.

So far I'm really happy with the bike and all the gear I've bought so far. I felt great all day.

Bonus points if you know where I went...

[​IMG]
  11. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I've got the first 37 miles of waypoints entered in Mapsource :)

I've been playing around with finding the best naming convention for me and this is where I am now:

[​IMG]

Turns are color coded, and I have the mileage in there so I can keep it matched up with the roll charts.
  12. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I did mine I used the mileage in the name: e.g. your TN011 would be my TN02365. The other thing I did was to place the waypoint after the turn. But, we used the roll charts, too, along with the GPS.
  13. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I'm going to use the roll charts as well. No excuses for getting lost :)

Once I get all the waypoints in, I'm also going to go back through and draw a track for each day.
  14. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    One other thing you might consider doing is to calibrate your odometer. I foolishly forgot to do so before we left so it was way out from the roll chart mileage. It may still be after the calibration since you can't calibrate against the roll charts until you are actually on the TAT.

I was using a Vapor Computer to track the mileage which complicated things since I could not quickly reset it at each turn as I could have done with a dedicated mechanical device. (You have to press and hold two buttons for a short period of time for a reset on the Vapor) I ended up having to do the corrections in my head as we were moving.

Then my son switched into the lead because he had a mechanical odometer on his bike. That worked until the screw holding on the reset and adjusting knob vibrated out.

Then after one GPS failure and one damaged in a big off we were down to one GPS with no tracks and only some points and the odometers. We got really good at adding numbers in our heads at speed. :rofl

It was come to the turn, look down and memorize the odometer reading, look over at the roll chart and memorize the distance to the next turn, add those two numbers in your head, and then say it out loud to yourself a few times in the hope that it would stick and then ride on occasionally looking down and comparing the number you memorized with your current odometer reading. All the while each hoping that the other guy got his right in case you forgot or otherwise screwed up the calculations. And, of course, the numbers you were working with were different than the other guy's.

It was a pain at first but it only took a little while before we got into the groove of doing that easily -- not quite second nature but close.

I guess the morals of the story are: avoid GPS damaging crashes and put some blue loctite on your odometer reset/adjusting knob screws.
  15. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Wow...that never even entered my mind!

The DRZ has an electronic odometer...I'll check it against my gps next time I have it out.
  16. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Got some more light in case I get caught with no sun.

[​IMG]
  17. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI. Even with the roll charts and a GPS you will get lost. Just deal with it as you go. The nice thing about having a group though is you can have a few navigators to check each other. When I rode solo if I made a wrong turn or choice I was always 100 % wrong and had to sort it out myself. It happens and is all part of the deal. If something looks goofy stop and check it out.
  18. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, there are not too many times where I would have ever needed a light over my stock headlight unless you were doubling up your days. The exception to this is if you have a break down and spend a lot of time on the side of the trail. Most days in the fast group or by myself I could be done with the days ride in about 6-8 hours. Of course I like going fast too.:D
  19. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Not planning on riding after dark on purpose. Needed a better light more for riding to work when its still dark out :)
  20. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Roll chart holder mounted. Not really happy with how close the knobs are to the mirror, but I couldnt find a better spot.

[​IMG]