TavisB's TAT 2010 (solo) Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TavisB, Sep 20, 2009.

1. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Good call. Penske quoted me $800.
  2. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Interesting...want to pm me details? I should be getting to Oregon around the second week of August.
  3. what have i got into

what have i got into Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the TAT last year solo. It's definitely fun. Several things I have told people, the first half has a lot of asphalt so don't waste money on soft knobbies. Second, you are almost always near a town so if you can start out with less and pick stuff up if you really decide you need it then go that way. Weight plays a big role as in the bike riding you versus you riding the bike. I started shedding stuff real fast and after I lost about 20 lbs of stuff, the bike handled a lot better. Also don't know what you are doing (didn't read your whole thread :cry ) about air filters, but I was surprised at how fast mine clogged up at times - sometimes just one day of riding sometimes a few days of riding. I flew back and had a bike hauler bring my bike back. I have a contact for that and there are companies like uship. It's just coordinating a place where you can leave it or drop it off so they can pick it up. Luckily I just left mine on the street in front of my cousin's house. Good luck and have fun. :freaky
  4. what have i got into

Oddometer:
    The guy that brought mine back was http://www.evergreenmotorsports.com - Guys name is Jay Abbruscato
    He was a couple of $$$ cheaper than the shipping companies and got my bike to me with no problems.
  5. what have i got into

Oddometer:
    The guy that brought mine back was http://www.evergreenmotorsports.com - Guys name is Jay Abbruscato
    He was a couple of $$$ cheaper than the shipping companies and got my bike to me with no problems. OR to NC
  6. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I've been having some carb issues...some blockage in the pilot circuit. I've had it apart three times now, and finally think I have it straightened out. Getting lots of practice taking this bike apart :)
  8. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I purchased a Dirt-Bike-Gear spare tube bag. I really liked the bag, but after about 10 seconds of my bike running the projector headlight had one of the front buckles smoking (and melting just a bit)! It wasn't the fault of the bag, the headlight was just mounted too low and too close to the bag (and with a 55W projector). I was already annoyed that I was bouncing some of my light off of the front fender. So I made a mount to move the headlight assembly up and out a bit. I also used this as an opportunity to move the switch for the grip heaters, as I was frequently flipping them on when bouncing around rough terrain and it interfered with my keys a bit. I also added another switch to fully disable the 55W spot light and the grip heaters if I get worried about charging off road.

Functionally, I'm going to call it a success at this time. Aesthetically, its a bit too high now. 5 minutes with the drill can fix that problem though. Now I have to wait for the sun to go down so I can re-aim the lights.

Bracket starting to take shape:
    [​IMG]

Mounted up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Switches:
    [​IMG]
  9. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Messed around with it again tonight, now I think I've got it how I want. Moved the headlight down 2" and got it aimed about right. Also made a mount for the roll chart holder, since I am out of handle bar room.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Looking good Travis. I have to be in Buena Vista Co on August 1 and might try the TAT to get there if I can arrange the time with work. If it happens I am going to start south of Memphis on the 18th of July. Might see you out there somewhere.

John
  11. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Cool!

I had my last day of school Friday, so I've got three full weeks to take care of all my home owner summer responsibilities, prep the bike, and finish setting up my GPS stuff. I just finished adding all the waypoints for Arkansas. I'm going to do a short visit to Maine and then straight to the TAT.
  12. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Just finished mapping out OK.

Heres a vid that shows my progress with making waypoints and tracks. If you watch the upper left corner you can see the date/time that they are added.

<object height="745" width="1280">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIVBsimCnHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="745" width="1280"></object>
  13. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I wish I had more desk space...

[​IMG]
  14. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    This is NOT helping lol

[​IMG]

This cat has been a fan of advrider since she was a little kitteh though.

[​IMG]
  15. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    My cats help the same way. lol.
  16. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
  17. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Some riding buddies from my local DS club stopped by today and we did a bunch of prep work on the bike. Bigger battery, new rear tire and wheel bearings, new sprockets (15/47) and chain, 3x3 mod with JD jet kit, clean air filter, and a manual fuel petcock all went on today. I wish I had taken some pics, but I was too busy sweating and getting greasy. Going to take care of the front tire tomorrow and take it on a test ride to see how the new jetting feels.
  18. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Route "complete". There are a couple of spots in Oregon where even with the reroute info in the TAT index thread, 3 different maps, rollcharts, and Google Earth I still am not sure about the reroutes.

[​IMG]
  19. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    So the grand total for the GPS stuff is as follows:

1966 way-points
    32 tracks
    12055 track-points

whew.

I have it all in one monster .gdb file at the moment. I'm going to split it up into a few smaller files that will actually load on my GPS. The rest will go into the netbook (and on dropbox for backup).
  20. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I started packing everything up and here's where I am weight wise with all the luggage:

Saddlebags = 20 lbs (tent/sleeping bag/cooking supplies/shoes, misc)
    Tank Panniers = 5 lbs (Fluids)
    Tank bag = 2-3 lbs (gloves, camera, phone, misc small things)
    Top box = 20 lbs (tools, parts, electronics)

I haven't figured in the following:

2L extra fuel
    hydration pack
    2-5 lbs clothing
    sleeping pad

Not too bad I think. All together I should still be about 60 lbs of gear.
    Unfortunately, either my scale is off or I've gained a few pounds recently...I'm up to 190.