TavisB's TAT 2010 (solo) Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TavisB, Sep 20, 2009.

1. NOTAR_520

NOTAR_520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had 3 of these, I would fill when needed and put into my cheap ATV tank panniers

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Wide-Mouth-Cantene/dp/B00266IQUW

I also had one for spare water.

My DRZ had to bear Much more weight :D

It's getting warm in Colorado, there is still snow to melt off on some of the passes, your still still 4-5 weeks out from crossing the divide?

Can't wait for the RR
  2. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    That's were all of my GPS files live too.. DROPBOX! I can get to them anywhere i have internet and Mapsource.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE4NDc3Mjk

Travis.. what GPS are you running again?
  3. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Garmin Vista HCx
  4. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    We are on the trail. Today is day 4 and we are about to go through Mississippi . We have been camping so far so no wifi to start my ride report. I've been posting updates to http://transamericatrail2010.wordpress.com/ from my iPhone. It looks like we are in for some rain and some storms, so we may motel it tonight.
  5. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Be safe Travis! I'll be about 10 days behind you so this is just what I need. I am skipping TN and starting with MS. WOOHOO!

John
  6. Ghilly

Ghilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AHHHH Tenn and Arkansas rain. Let me just say I do not miss that for a second. :D
  7. lzempjr

lzempjr Humpies from Hell

Oddometer:
    Would it be a mistake to try the TAT on an 1150 GS (I am 6'3" and 220 lbs).
  8. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    I don't feel wholly qualified to answer that, as I've never ridden a GS :). I can tell you that I don't think I'd want to ride it on anything bigger than the DRZ (unless you were to skip the really fun parts, but why do that?).
  9. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    nope just a real test of your skill in some areas, mainly in the west CO. UT. NV. and some of OR. the the rest is a piece of pie!!:D
  10. what have i got into

what have i got into Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with tompound-i took a 650 which with all the luggage got sketchy in NV and OR - I missed one day of riding in CO but the rest was good. It just gets old picking up the bike sometimes too.
  11. AltRoute

AltRoute AltRoute

Oddometer:
    I bit late for your trip TravisB but here’s an option I used when I did the GDT -
    I used - Keyboard Carriage - all they transport is pianos and bikes - cost me $600 one way - you just have to have a pick location that a semi truck can drive to - I used a car-park near my house to load the bikes. And I arranged a bike shop on Kilaspill MT to hold the bike for a couple of days. It took about 3 weeks for them to get the bike up there but that was all part of the planning stage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    They came and packed up the bike and most of the gear (they supplied the create) and hauled the bike away. I used it again from Albuquerque NM back to PA. It was a little expensive but compared to burning 4 days of slab - on the bike or U-Haul and burning up 4 days of vacation time it was just a decisions that made sense to me - not for everybody.<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

950 and 650 all tied up and ready to go . . .
    [​IMG]

see you guys later . . . . in MT . . .
    [​IMG]
  12. TavisB

TavisB @TavisB

Oddometer:
    Not bad at all. I'll keep them in mind in the future.