1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Taylor Hwy/Tok Cut Off

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AK650, May 16, 2020.

1. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got home from a work trip to Eagle, and wanted to give a quick road condition heads up. The Taylor, from Mile 0 to Chicken nothing out of the ordinary. The occasional pavement break, stretches of gravel, and the usual frost heaves. Once you pass through Chicken, it's time to start paying attention. DOT has fixed the washouts before you get to the "Y", but they're soft and still being actively worked. Between the "Y" and Eagle, there are numerous places where the road is like gravel encrusted jello. Still some snow melt percolating into the road bed, and turning to mush. Hope to make a bike ride to Eagle this summer, but I think I'll wait for it to dry out and firm up some.

The Tok Cut Off, wasn't bad at all. Frost heaves as usual, and a 12 mile stretch( Mile 38-50 ) of gravel after you pass through Chistochina. Smooth and well compacted.

That's all I got, have a great riding season everyone!
    thirsty 1, AKDuc, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  2. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the useful road report. I've seen several "jello" road sections this spring around Fairbanks including on the road I live on.
    Never been to Eagle. Have to go there sometime.
    Fast Idle and AK650 like this.
  3. AK650

Oddometer:
    Hi David! Hope you and Cee are doing well. Eagle is a really cool place. Lot's of history, and several turn of the century era buildings still kept up. The hotel was nice, with a great view of the river. Neat old gas station, with the glass reservoir at the stop, still working.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. If the border opens I may wonder north.
    95Monster and AK650 like this.
  5. AK650

Oddometer:
    You may want to check with Canada. Before going to Eagle, we were at Border City. The whole time we were there, it was a pretty regular stream of Alaska plated RV's. Presumably snowbirds returning. They may allow Alaskans to travel to Alaska. Be worth looking into if you have the urge to head north.
  6. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel sixfiveoh.
    Several of us are headed to Tanacross mid week for a little "dirt work".
    RV's dragging trailers with the bikes/sideXsides.
    Tok cutoff is always slow going but it sounds (from your info) like it won't be too terrible.
    Thanks again.
    Fite
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sure. Between the border closed, the ferry hardly running and our neighbors not wanting us to go to the Yukon I think it's going to be a stay in Juneau and go fishing summer.
    Alaskans can travel from SE to the interior. We have 24 hours to make it thru the Yukon with just gas stops. Easy enough to do if you leave Haines early in the day. I just don't want the hassle with it this summer so all three of my cycle trips are pretty much canceled.
  8. AK650

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Fite. The gravel stretch should be no problemo for the tailored rigs. They have it nicely maintained. I assume they're going to pave it this season, and just waiting for weight restrictions to lift. Sure was weird to see Fast Eddies parking lot mostly empty.
  9. AK650

Oddometer:
    The 24hr rule would be a good excuse to knock out a Saddle Sore 1000! Did one from Eagle River to Haines( via Fairbanks ) some years back. It was a good ride. Haines to Haines Junction is one of my favorite stretches of road.