1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

TCAT bc fuel question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Disko, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for some advice and info on what kind of fuel ranges are needed for the B.C. portion of the TCAT.

Most of my group are planning to ride smaller bikes Ktm 500 excf and DRZ 400’s.

Looking for advice on how much fuel should we bring and how many km’s are between fill ups.

Thanks!
  2. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a written list of gas stations along the BC route but can't find the dam list...
    I compiled it with estimates of mileage between gas stations listed as waypoints on the TCAT file on Mapsource. I remember having a column of mileage and another for time allotment (some sections would take longer to do = more fuel consumption). I was going to take 2 one gallon rotopax jugs with me (my 990 has small tanks). The 500 excf has a small stock tank, doesn't it? My 500 exc does....... 8 usable liters. If I was running it on my 500, I'd use my 5 gal desert tank. I don't think the DRZ's have tanks that are much bigger than the 500.. maybe 9.5 usable liters?

I also remember an issue verifying gas availability at Riske Creek. Google Earth doesn't show a gas station there at the waypoint listed, but doing a Google search, I found gas nearby... Toosey Band Gas Station. Phone number listed: (250) 659-5775. Address: Farwell Canyon Rd, Riske Creek, BC V0L 1T0. That's a parallel road to the one that the TCAT follows. I didn't get a chance to follow up on verifying the station.
    I was about 2 weeks away from doing a solo trip when the forest fire situation got out of hand... smoke so thick caused low to no visibility so I cancelled. That was 4 years ago. Maybe someday I'll attempt another trip.
    sky44 likes this.
  3. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply. Oh man, I wish you could have found that list!

The Ktm’s do have an aftermarket 3 gallon tanks and we were thinking of bringing 4 liters each extra. That would give the KTM’s 16L of fuel.

I think the one DRZ Has a larger aftermarket tank as well - not too sure of the size. Either way, we knew we would have to pack extra fuel.

The 16L of fuel for my KTM would probably get me over 200km of range. I will have to test beforehand!
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I turned my office upside down to no avail..... guess the gremlins hid my list.

If you make a list of gas stations from the TCAT gpx file, and approx mileage between, (the list I can't find) then you can't go wrong with facing fuel shortages. The only concern I had was the lack of credible gas stations between Quesnel and Lillooet, a long stretch. You don't want to run your tank down to fumes as I know of a couple of instances where others have done so and burned their fuel pumps out... they need to be immersed in gasoline to keep them cool.

I did some quick calculations of mileage between Quesnel and Lillooet and points between.
    Quesnel to Lillooet - 491 KM

.... Quesnel to Riske Creek - 147 KM
    .... If no fuel available at R Creek, you can cut out and follow Hwy 20 to Williams Lake (50 KM)
    .... Riske Creek to Lillooet - 244 KM
    .... or if from Williams Lake back to Riske Creek and on to Lillooet - 294 KM

Figure on using lower gears for some of this portion of the route which of course means less mpg or more L per 100 KM

When are you hoping to start the trip and how many are in the group?

Edit:
    Sorry, I posted mileage going from East to West and you're probably going West to East. Easy task to flip the mileges and destinations around....
  5. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a Google Map satellite view, street level and saw a sign on Hwy 20 indicating gas 4 KM south.
    My maps don't seem to jive with the TCAT track, as the road you'll be riding up to Hwy 20 is either the Chilcotin South Forest Service Rd, Farwell Canyon Road or the Tlescoxeten Rd. The latter is where I think the gas station is on.

If you think of it while at the gas station, I'd appreciate you noting a long and lat and posting it here. I'm sure a lot of inmates will appreciate the post, Ted for one, and me included.
    Down the road, and when this Covid crap ends, I hope to do the BC portion as well. I'd think about doing it now, but since I'm in the high risk category, I don't want to take the chance by travelling at this point in time.

Riske Creek Gas.jpg
  6. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    And.... one more post regarding fuel at Riske Creek.
    The latest TCAT file 8.0 shows gas at Riske Creek on Hwy 20, but I'm pretty sure it's not.
    Location: Long and lat: N51 56 03.9 W122 30 34.7 (In different position formats: N51 56.065 W122 30.579 or N51.93442 W122.50965)
    Waypoint: "GasBC Riske Creek"
    If you get gas here, would you confirm the gps coordinates and post here? If this info is correct, then either of us could forward this info to Ted, the creator of the TCAT file.

Riske Creek Gas Map.jpg
  7. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up that way in a year or so, but the only gas I can think of is a reserve (native) fuel station, Not sure if it's in riske creek though. Trying to rack my memory.
  8. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    I was through there two years ago and there was no gas at the location on the highway on Hill Climber's map. There is gas just east of there on the Toosey reserve south of the highway but call ahead as many of the reserves are currently not allowing visitors due to Covid 19. Also check on the Big Bar ferry if you're going that way as it is currently out of service due to high water. You could aim for Clinton for fuel. My KLR made it from about 20 km north of there to Wms Lake via Gang Ranch. I can't remember how much I had left to spare but I don't think I was even on reserve. 22L tank but bigger, less efficient bike than your 500 I think.
  9. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, you guys are great. Thank you!

I’m happy you pointed out the location of the gas station on the gpx. is very likely not accurate. I will have to try and contact the gas station in the native reserve and see if they are open.

There are about 6 of us partaking on the trip. We will be doing it East to West. We are mostly spread all over, Squamish, Nanaimo, Kelowna, Revelstoke and Edmonton. We agreed upon finishing the trip at the ferry terminal. It works great for myself as I live in Squamish, Ha! Tentative start day is Sept 1st.

We were originally going to do the Tour of Idaho. Covid made that dream disappear quite quickly
    Hill Climber likes this.
  10. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, you're welcome!!
    Tour of Idaho.... which route were you guys hoping to do? T1, 3 or 4?
  11. LTTLTD

LTTLTD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No fuel at Riske Crk. Only a half an hour to williams lake on Hwy 20 if needed.
  12. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:
    There is definitely fuel at the reserve at Risk Creek with a very prominent sign on the highway. Thanks for the help though.
  13. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:
    I can confirm the gas station is at the Stoosey Reserve and not actually in Riske Creek. The street view screen shot of the sign is the signage for said gas station. The location on the gpx. file Is incorrect. There is also a gas station up highway 20 about 15 km from Hanceville in Tl’etinqox. Both are very small gas stations on native land. There was signage for a future Esso station in Tl’etinqox.
    Hill Climber likes this.
  14. Disko

Disko n00b

Oddometer:
    hopefully doing the T3 next summer!
    Hill Climber likes this.