TCAT is......GO..!! (2020)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by flipflopdog, Oct 16, 2019.

1. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Flipflop is coming to Canada and I can't wait, just doing my navigation schooling at present, got the routes from Gravel Travel and have been customising POI's etc but the route IS the route or should I say trails and they have inspired me somewhat. In true 'Mad Dog Englishman' tradition I truly want to camp the whole way regardless of all matters and concerns and yes I expect some strong advice on this aspect....

I'm thinking of May/June as the starting date from Signal Hill and an expected 4 month west bound trip roughly but with no strict deadline for completion.
    I am bringing my MSR tent along with my new found love of 'The Hammock'... I suffer with typical bad back problems but nothing too intense and since joining the 'Ibuprofen Chapter' it is kept at bay but my point is, Hammock sleeping is very good for the back issues. I am just in the throws of devising a method for elevating my hammock off the ground sufficient to avoid a rambling bears eye's but not his nose (that's a whole different story...). It will involve a whole bunch of extra equipment but I'm willing to make sacrifices in other area's to facilitate.

I am bringing my trusty little Honda Dualsporter for the trip, see below.

All input truly welcomed and my thanks in advance....
    FFD IMG_2209.JPG
    Maggot12, juames and Candubrain like this.
  2. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be safe, not even bears will eat bangers and mash....lol.....just kidding.

I can tell you I experienced snow in Gander NFLD near the end of June 2018, so bring your cold winter gear. Also there was a polar bear warning at that time in the northern area of NFLD, apparently they come in on drift ice....very hungry too.

You are probably already aware of the vast numbers of moose on the island.

Black bears in Labrador have no fear of people and are not intimidated by motorcycles.....watch out for their young as mama will be near by.

Black flies and mosquitos; I travelled with a head net that I would put on immediately after removing my helmet. I've read some people wear the head net under their helmet to protect their exposed neck and face when stopped.

Wishing you the best on this adventure and I will be following this post

brian
  3. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Oh, almost forgot, if you are a believer in the Flat Earth Society, you must visit Fogo Island as it's one of the four corners.

IMG_4749.jpeg

And don't forget to get Screeched in at Chritians Pub downtown St Johns. They are the original and best

IMG_1632.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg
    flipflopdog likes this.
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I had a couple from Tennessee here doing the same ride along the same timeframe and camping. Ice in the Strait of Belle Isle made the crossing questionable but they did get to Labrador. Heated gear head to toe. While they were in Marys Harbour a polar bear was wandering the road in St Lewis across the arm. They took a room. Polar bears are the only species of bear that hunt humans.
    Shipping the bike to Halifax?
  5. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Make sure you write a RR.
    I’ve ridden the Manitoba to the west coast sections and have a couple of ride reports if you’re looking for ideas on what to expect. It is a brilliant, remote and least direct path across Canada. Enjoy!
  6. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    My Cod, that look delicious!
    fullofbs and Northern_Rider777 like this.
  7. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Got a link to those RR's ?
    I also planning to ride across country next year, starting in Vancouver though.I've got the TCAT gps track and paper maps so far, but that's all. Its be nice to get an idea of what I'm in for.
  8. powderzone

Oddometer:
    ztaj and Lycan1 like this.
  9. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input so far, every little bit helps tremendously. So, it would appear I'm entering the 'Food Chain'...?!!! Caution well noted.....
    Labrador in June, bar muffs or just heated grips..?? I think some input from my electrical self is required, some provision for electrical heated clobber will be a must. Perhaps a rethink on the wild camping desire also....
    @damurph, I will ship bike to New York and ride the 1000 mile to Sydney NS and ferry across, take a rest in St Johns and get me some Screech Juice/ snog a Cod etc etc (thanks Brian for that....) before setting off. Can I get bear spray in St Johns....???
  10. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Missing camping would be a mistake in my opinion, there are some good forestry campsites along the way if you dislike established private campsites and on the other spectrum "wild camping" as you called it. you don't meet anyone sitting in a motel.
    Northern_Rider777, mroddis and Lycan1 like this.
  11. powderzone

Oddometer:
    Agreed. If you’re concerned about bears, buy a food bin and put everything in there that smells good (including toothpaste and deodorant). Bears are mostly curious but they have an incredible sense of smell. Put the foodbin well away from your tent and you’ll be fine. Most camping stores (REI) will sell the bins and bear spray. No problem bringing bear spray across the border. You can’t fly with it obviously but you’ll be able to pick up those supplies en route from the US.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  12. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't spend too much time worrying about bears, just take a few precautions and become familiar with the deterrents. In meeting well over 200 bears in the wilds I've never even reached for bear spray.....which is a good thing cause it's been deeply packed away......deeper each year, in fact. Although that temps fate....might review that next year.
    Like shark attacks, this is overly anticipated....and bad encounters are very rare
    Northern_Rider777, gpfan and Lycan1 like this.
  13. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    Nah I'm fine with camping, the Polar bear thing got me a little uneasy, that's just in Labrador and at the start of the trip. Lot's of great advice here and being duly noted. S'gonna be a great trip.....
    shuswap1 likes this.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Polar bears are unlikely to be an issue but being aware when they are around is common sense. Same rules apply to grizzly in the west.
  15. sleepyhead65

sleepyhead65 Honda Varadero XL1000, Suzuki DR650

Oddometer:
    If you insist on camping in the St. John’s area I have a couple of trees in my backyard available. I will defer to damurph though as he is a host extraordinaire!
    flipflopdog likes this.
  16. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    I found the Oxford heated grips kept my palm warm but the outside froze. I added Hippo Hands (hand muffs) with those I could wear summer weight gloves and maintain dexterity. I also suffer from Raynauds, everyone is different
    brian
    MFS and flipflopdog like this.
  17. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about the Polar Bears they like tourists.

Polar Bear Cartoon.jpg
    flipflopdog likes this.
  18. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    I would most definitely like to take up your tree offer, most kind sir..!!! Nearer the time I'll get your exact location Mr Sleepyhead.....
    sleepyhead65 likes this.
  19. flipflopdog

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking muffs too...!!
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip :thumb
    flipflopdog likes this.