TDM advice

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JBtourer, Apr 20, 2009.

1. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day all

I've really used my 1991 TDM850 for mainly sealed roads up till now but I want to set it up for more remote/rough/gravel etc roads.Can anyone make any recommendations re suspension upgrades and dual purpose tyres to suit.
    I am also looking at getting some Hepco and Becker pannier frames and either hard cases or Andy Strapz Expedition panniers.Any thoughts/advice on these would be appreciated.

cheers

JBtourer
  2. Hammock dweller

Hammock dweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a '91 for 14 years and loved it. The original 360 crank engines were smooth and torquey. There are lots of luggage solutions. If you're going to be doing a lot of touring just fit a Givi wing rack. Tough bit of kit.

As for tyres i always just used road tyres on gravel. If you end up on mud even dual purpose tyres will clog up so there's little point fitting them. It's a real pain trying to find 18" 110/80 in anything other than road patterns anyway. The only solution for agressive tyres is to fit a rear tyre backwards on the front. Lots of people have done this successfully.

Here's a bike from OZ (IIRC)...

[​IMG]
  3. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    Masterbrewer in Adelaide is your man for TDMs.
    Do a search.
  4. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Karoo fitted to the rear and Continental TKC80 on the front. This is the bike TBAM used in the Longest Day Ride last year.
  5. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys.I did a search on Master Brewer.It appears he is definitely the man for TDM info.I may have to pick his brain a bit.

cheers

JBtourer
  6. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    Gday JBtourer & welcome :thumb

Where're at? ( ......... hint! ... complete ya profile) :wink:

My TDM has been a real surprise and an enjoyable distance dirt tourer.:raabia with the occasional quick day squirt with the Dirt Bike World boys.

Basically suspension is all standard apart from having to replace a shagged rear shocker (fortunate enough to find an Ohlins ........ amazing difference :wings ) and a slight overfill in the forks.

I've really only improved protection & tailored creature comforts to my size, (all made myself with the occasional outside help) the rest has been basically being aware that it isn't an off road race bike. You know the saying ........... "slower strokes for older folks" :lol3

I very happy with the current tyre setup; Fronts: IRC GP110's 410S18 (rears reversed); Rears: Heidenau K60 140/80/17

Here's the latest set up

[​IMG]

On my last ride I was thankful to have previously changed the front guard so it could be removed without taking the wheel off ................ damn clay :lol3

[​IMG]

That Carpe-TDM forum is excellent for info & help :thumb

Happy to help with ideas etc in any way.:photog

You'll have a ball on yours.
  8. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day Masterbrewer,
    Thanks for the welcome.I am an Sydney(I'll get around to the profile one day).How do your tyres go on the highways and what effect does putting a reversed rear on the front have?
    What did the Ohlins cost?
    Where are those tyres available?

Sorry for the multi questions,I want of course to get the best set up I can for mainly gravel/dirt roads but obviously there will be times when I have to spend considerable k's on the slab.Even with the current road tyres the TDM is pretty stable on the dirt but I am looking to go a bit further afield.
    Great shots of your TDM.There is just something about these bikes that looks good.
    As per your point the front guard will be one of my first projects,either make a quick release setup or at least raise it a bit.

Thanks for your input.

cheers

JBtourer
  9. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Highway use the IRC's are great because the centre treads are close together, thus reducing noise & vibration, while overall the tread pattern is quite open for good grip on dirt. Strange no one else seems to use them, though. I run pressures on tar 32psi; dirt 22-24psi & sand 18-22psi (just have to be aware of potential rim slip and ride accordingly, but I've rarely had issues in that regard either, despite where I've taken the ol' girl)

Got over 25k kms from my first set without any punctures (touch wood, for the next :lol3 ) & found grip good, wet or dry, but I'm no real racer either.

Here's an example.
    [​IMG]

I've not noticed any ill effects with the IRC tyres reversed, in fact I have tried them both ways, but due to potential braking loads with tyre construction, I keep them reversed. Unfortunately I have to run them tubed.

You can get them at most dealers, some may have to order them in, less than $100 from memory, it was a long time ago though :wink:

With the Heidenau's, I found them quite tall, which is OK for distance, but when I'm riding local I just drop the front sprocket from 16 to 15 tooth & it's a different bike. My last one in Feb not fitted cost $205 for the 140/80/17 or if I wanted the 150/ it was gunna cost about $280. There's a thread on here somewhere about 'em.

Got over 13k kms outa the last one which I reckon is good value for the price. Pressures: tar 36psi, dirt 28- 30psi depending on load.

I feel I won the lottery with the Ohlins though: second hand price $200; rebuild $175 = great adjustable ride :wings (New price I think is something like over $1,300.)

Watch the plastics, they like to snap quite easy.

Here's another link worth keepin' an eye on too; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98401&page=47

Good Luck :lurk