1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

TdN

Discussion in 'Trials' started by heffergm, Sep 23, 2018.

1. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tough day for Mexico.... only one more loop to go!

Attached Files:

2. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    And 27 penalty points for Ireland after the first lap... Maybe for transporting Guinness across section lines? Either way, it means they're currently 7th when they should have been third after the first loop. Ouch.
  3. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 penalty points for Japan, drops them from second to forth. Anyone know what these are for? I'm assuming time, but they seem pretty severe .
    laser17 likes this.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I would think that would remove penalty points, not add them. :drink

Damn FIM keeping me Irish brothers down..... :bluduh

Thanks for the post, Heff! :D
    Huzband likes this.
  5. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20180923_092903.jpg
    Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  6. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm Pretty sure the Guinness championships in Dubland are run strictly No Stop as well.
    Brewtus likes this.
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Dang, what’s with all the penalty points...
  8. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    Spain does it surprise, surprise! Great Britain in second and only team with scores consistent on both laps. All other teams had higher scoring second loop. 6D3D9AC3-75C9-4765-A33C-331AD84E5D8E.png
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish the results showed what each rider scored in each section.
  11. irishgb

irishgb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dubland ??? is near Dublin ??
    Huzband, Brewtus and laser17 like this.
  12. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks., At least I spelled the beer right.
    DyrWolf and Brewtus like this.
  13. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Individual scores don't tell the whole story. It's a true team event, not just a collection of individual scores. There is a lot of strategy involved. Only the best 2 rides per section count. Riders may have to make sacrifices for the good of the team.

Teams pick a riding order among themselves. Sort of like baseball. Lead off hitter, 2nd and clean up. Or like in a 4 X 100 relay, you need a sprinter to get the lead and a great anchor to seal the deal. Each rider has his strengths and the team will have a game plan. Each rider has a role to play.

Here are just a few examples:

The 1st rider is key. If he goes clean then team confidence goes up and we only need one clean from the next two riders. Or he may be asked to sacrifice his ride and be the guinea pig and test a line or gear selection. Depending on how things go the other two riders will benefit. But now the pressure may be on, because you have used up your "throw away" ride.

The 2nd rider is pivotal. He or she must deliver consistently. This ride will determine what faces the anchor.

The 3rd rider may have all the pressure on him or none. If the first two go clean on a section then the pressure is off and his or her ride is a gimme and may only count in event of a tie breaker (cleans).

If the first two go clean-one, then what needed is a pressure ride "clean or nothing". The third rider will risk it all for the clean because that erases the one.

If the first two riders go clean-five then there are five points on the table waiting to be erased. Taking a safe one in this situation saves 4 points. Sometimes a one is better than risking it all and going for a clean. You have to know when to play it safe and when to risk it all.

This (and more) is what makes TdN great. It's a trial like no other.
    RDW920, Gordy, ZippyGasGas and 8 others like this.
  14. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool, appreciate the insight from someone who’s been involved. Hope to see the event firsthand someday. My reasoning for wanting to see individual scores however, was mainly to see how Pat compared to the rest of the International class riders.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  15. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one guy Ive seen a lot on the Czech team was Martin Matejicek. His control is impressive. I guess some of it rubbed off on at least one other guy on his team.

From his website:

"Motto: If you don’t know how to get over an obstacle, try 3rd gear wide open."

I'd say he's on the same sort of level as Pat.
    DyrWolf and Huzband like this.
  16. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are like a lot of us who would like to see how Pat measures up in Trial2. My guess is on the podium +.
    DyrWolf, RDW920, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  17. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer:
    Since Trial2 is now a mix of young riders coming up and some older experienced riders stepping down from TrialGP class, Pat might consider riding the Trial2 class at some TrialGP rounds?
  18. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is never gonna happen. He doesn't really like the no stop rules from what I hear, doesn't want to ride a 250, and generally just doesn't seem interested.
  19. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus there is the whole riding 'round Europe out of a suitcase thing that seems to be you love it or hate it. What is the money like in Trial2? Surely being a pro rider in the AMA Nationals @ $500 a win for purse money isn't that lucrative, not sure what other endorsements get but clearly you don't get rich in anything other than the big GP class.
  20. Greebe

Greebe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread needs some video. :D

DyrWolf, grizCP, Huzband and 6 others like this.