TE610 Clutch Cable

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Xfool, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had about 10,000 on my cable when it broke. When you say, "no issues", have you inspected the cable at the top for broken strands?

One problem is the hole in the lever in on the bottom like all bikes. However this prevents you from noticing any freying of the cable without an ocasional inspection from the bottom. Probably also should have greased the barrel with each oil change.

I think I had a warning and was too stupid to check it out. The cable started getting too much slack and I actually had to take some out at the bottom. I thought it was just clutch wear but now I think it probably was cable getting longer.
  2. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    did the cable actually break or did the ball come off?
    I've thought about routing the old one.
  3. SepticSkeptic

SepticSkeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed one on my '08 after tweaking my stocker while improvising a trail fix for a broken lever. The improvement in action is noticable and the quality is top notch.

I routed around the throttle side of the clamps but it gets pinched while turning all the way to the right. If someone has figured out a good route Id' like to see it.
  4. SepticSkeptic

SepticSkeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just broke my Barnett, I had about 2500 miles on it. Moto Forza suggested it to me, so I had never ordered it, I assume it was part#101-37-10610 for the TE610. The barrel size where it attaches to the lever is larger than stock, requireing the removal of the plastic bushing. I assume this is what you all have done? I suspect that the removal of the bushing may have contributed to the failure. Then again, if none of you have had any problems it could be operator error. :bluduh Anyway, I contacted Barnett and showed them what was going on, they said to send it in, they might be able to make it with a smaller barrel:

I must admit I don't know exactly what the cable looked like we duplicated because it was a customers and it was returned, however we do have that barrel (Suzuki's) that we can put on. So send in your cable and we can change it out.

Not sure if the Suzuki's will work, I might see if I can get a hold of a spare clutch lever and send it in aswell so they can size it up as best they can.

I just put the stocker back on and it made me realize how smooth the Barnett was. I'm not aware of anyone else experiencing this problem, but I'll keep you posted as to how the new order goes. Barnett's response to my emails was damn near instantaneous. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<table width="98%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="tdgray2"></tr><tr class="tdgray2"> <td nowrap="nowrap">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  5. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    was adjusting mine today and noticed some broken strands right at the lever.. not what I would expect from a $60 cable.. think I'll go to the OEM for almost one third the price
  6. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread but for what its worth I just replaced my stock cable with a Barnett. $58, really nice looking cable, works very smooth. The bad side is they list it specifically for the 2006 610, I would think it would actually fit correctly. I ordered the longer than stock, what I got was barely stock length and neither end fit worth a flip. The button on the bottom end is too long to bend the tab behind. Then I had to drill out the clutch handle perch because their version was over sized and wouldn't even begin to fit, not to mention had to be ground down on one end to align the cable with the cable slot. Not overly impressed and since they are closed for the Christmas season I did what I had to do to get back to riding.
  7. blueknob

blueknob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i went with the motion pro cable, part no.10-0123, they can be had for about $30, been workin great:p3rry
  8. Xcuvator

Xcuvator Justa Venturer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like they sent you the wrong one. I got one for my 08 and moved it to my 07 and it fit both bikes fine. I'm sure that 06-09 are the same cable.
  9. OklahomaRider

OklahomaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure thinking so, hopefully when they reopen I will get that figured out. Buying a new clutch handle is no big deal, never hurts to have a spare, just kind of a strange thing.
  10. aussiehusky

aussiehusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Altough this is a "very late" post on this subject, I am sure that the cable breakages are still occuring, in addition i have always had a very heavy clutch on the 610 (2006) I have now modified my bike to use a Hydraulic clutch system, not a difficult job for the mod and currently putting it all back together, clutch lever weight is slightly less, but it seems to pull okay, testing will be in the next couple of days so anyone is interested or replies I'll post the results and the fitting. on another subject if you have had issues with the airbox nuts letting go and you can't get it seperated, an issue I had after it was done up to tight, I have done a small change to fix this issue as well.
    Let me know if there is interest in me putting up more details
    Pat S (down unda)