1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Double Barrel Racing does the 2007 Baja 1000...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Team DBR, Dec 3, 2007.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    On the premise that, if some is good then more is better, Pyn, Eric and myself were back on the bikes riding to La Paz to catch the ferry over to the mainland.

The highlight of the day was a game of chicken with a Coca-Cola delivery truck trying in vain to pass a bakery box van whose driver was having none of it.

With no shoulder, and only an uninviting rubbish strewn ditch to the right, I pulled over onto the crumbling asphalt edge where the white stripe once lived, sucked in hard to make me, the bike, and the luggage thinner, and held my breath.

I couldn’t help but laugh when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Eric and his laden 950, still at full chat, land in a cloud of dust on the opposite side of the ditch after almost clearing the 4’ 1:1 drop off.

At about the same time the Coke truck driver gave up the ghost and laid on the anchors generating a massive plume of stinking blue smoke as his truck squealed like a banshee to an unceremonious halt just a few feet in front of us.

I glanced over my shoulder and laughed as Pyn gave the driver the international hand signal for “you’re number one” :rofl
  2. AntWare

Oddometer:
    If that was the highlight of the day, the lowlight was getting to the ferry terminal about 10 minutes after the office closed.
    Even though the ship didn’t leave for another few hours, the unhelpful chappy at the window wouldn’t even accept the offer of a few extra sheckles to squeeze on our bikes…Eric was none too chuffed.

[​IMG]

As we headed back into El Centro to find some digs for the night, we stopped off at a little beach cove café where we agreed,
    there’s a lot worse places to be stranded for the night than La Paz.

[​IMG]

:ken didn’t want a ride anyway…besides the view in the foreground more than made up for it.

[​IMG]

Sandy Beach. Chicks in bikinis. Fresh fish. Beer :thumb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:

:D :D :D

Best thread ever.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why did Pyn have to change that tire? Well, here's a series of shots from the night before... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    squid
  6. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ksteve
  7. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    That was the second 908 to die an early death by his hand in as many days :nod
  8. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolute SQUID!!! :lol3 It was the shear excitement and exhilaration of finishing the 1000 that did it......I don't always behave this way :D

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUA6LXiejsk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  9. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Good God...

I just read the thread from the beginning, took all day. And I'm not sorry! Great, great stuff. The amazing bikes, scenery, friendship, travel, challenges, victory, all out there publicly for us to enjoy! Thank you, thank you!

Keep rockin' those KTM twins! :beer:thumb:super

And Ned, I really want to attend one of your clinics! The DSR DVD has been an inspiration, I think I'm ready for the next level. Do you have an '08-'09 schedule set?
  10. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pyndon / Antware, Do you have tracks or GPS routes across from El Fuerte to Creel through the Canyon.

Pyn, where is Eric R. I have not seen him at the races. BTW where are you? India?
  11. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Is Pyndon in India [​IMG]
  12. BDKW1

BDKW1 KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer:
    Almost time to do it all over agian! :clap

To bad it's only going to be about 660 mile loop this year.
  13. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ant Man, remember this........." hey, some tw*t's nicked me chips!!" :lol3

[​IMG]

Spent the night here waiting for next days Ferry!

[​IMG]

So the next morning we finally manage to get a ferry accross to the mainland.....only problem was......:uhoh

[​IMG]

After a strip search :eek1 we eventually filtered the trafiic load the boat.

[​IMG]

And wait........and wait.......and wait! I think I listened to my whole i-pod over and over. In fact, swopped with Ant man for a bit for some new tunes :deal

Ant......chillin :bubba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally......we are off!

[​IMG]

Goodbye Baja............ Roll on mainland :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If we have to drive on the same road as this guy I'm worried......real worried! This truck driver was well over the limit and driving north to USA :eek1

[​IMG]

Mainland....first stop......SLEEP and let the drunken truck driver get far enough up front!

To be continued.........
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's how I usually see Ant.:freaky

The sober pictures are refreshing! Keep em coming! :clap
  15. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    +1
  16. Southerneagle

Southerneagle stuck in the snow in CO

Oddometer:
    and.........................................................................................
  17. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:

.... the radio played...Alaska? :dunno
  18. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Ant man.....wake up!!!
  19. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I&#8217;d forgotten about the dog. :rofl

&#8230;and I just now noticed the fella sitting on top of the bluff. :deal

D'ya think the dog was trained to nick food and share with his master?

&#8230;nah, me neither :lol3
    [​IMG]
  20. AntWare

Oddometer:
    And so, not wanting to get too much blood in our alcohol stream&#8230;Pyn and I hit the bars of La Paz.

I wish we&#8217;d taken a picture of the girl that took this shot&#8230;she looked like trouble with a capital T&#8230;cheers Gordy.

[​IMG]

The next morning, before checking out, the three of us walked down to a small beachfront café and had breakfast.
    I remembered back to the breakfast at the race sign in in Ensenada, passing Ricky Johnson on the way in, then sitting a few tables down from Malcolm.
    Here we were, a few days and hundreds of miles later, and at the table next to us was race winner Johnny Campbell with his family, looking like any other tourists enjoying a weekend break&#8230;and of course, all our cameras were back at the hotel. :bluduh

Hurry up and wait.

Paperwork.

[​IMG]

Probe.

[​IMG]

Front of the queue.

[​IMG]

More paperwork.

[​IMG]

More Waiting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Into the belly of the beast&#8230;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

&#8230;and off to the bar.

[​IMG]

So, things from here on out get a little blurry.
    I think the meals were included in the price of the ticket&#8230;but don&#8217;t quote me on that.
    The evening seemed to go&#8230;beer, nap, beer nap, beer, nap, eat&#8230;with the cafeteria opening up at the oddest of hours, signaled only by those in the know beginning the exodus.

This chappy was on his way for his first foray into the US with his tractor trailer.
    So nervous was he at the task that lay before him, he&#8217;d drank himself into a stupor.
    Despite his adamant claims that he was done drinking, I wasn&#8217;t about to take my eyes off of him, or release my death grip on the beer.

&#8220;&#8230;the minute he nods off, that Pot Noodles mine&#8221;

[​IMG]

Again, we hadn&#8217;t made any arrangements for a place to stay when we finally reached Topolobampo in the wee hours, but were lucky enough to run into a couple of fellas on the ferry from Colorado who had, so we cashed in some more road karma chips and followed them through the nippy foggy night the few short miles to the motel and managed to snag a room.

[​IMG]