1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Double Barrel Racing does the 2007 Baja 1000...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Team DBR, Dec 3, 2007.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    So, the plan for the home stretch, so far as there was one, was to hit Copper Canyon for a few days, couple of days in Big Bend, then back to DFW.

We’d lost a few of days here and there over the last few weeks, but still had plenty of time to get in some stellar riding.

Eric had a birthday coming up that coincided with Thanksgiving and was making mumblings of heading home to spend it with family.

Pyn and myself had nowhere better to be.

I’ve done Copper Canyon a few times already, but knowing Pyn was going to be heading back to the UK in the New Year, this might be his one and only chance.

We decided that we’d steal a few days off of Big Bend, we’ve done it to death already anyhow, and spend a couple of days in the canyons.

We’d get Eric as far as Creel, then he could slab it home from there.

We stopped in Los Mochis for gas and some road brekkie…Mars bars and Dr Pepper…only to realise while faffing about in the store I’d left my lights on and drained the battery.

In hindsight, it would’ve been safer to hire some of the local farm labour…

[​IMG]

…but in the ongoing theme of Safety Third we opted to securely fasten two heavily laden bikes together and have one drag the other across a diesel covered car park.

Another good reason to used straps instead of bungees.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After getting up a head of steam I click it into second and drop on the seat only to have the rear lock and skid on the diesel.

Rapidly running out of room, I go for it again in third.
    As I drop on the seat, Pyn gets on the binders to avoid running into the wall on the other side of the freshly used, wet, soapy, car wash we’ve now entered, and promptly locks up both wheels.

I barely manage to pull in the clutch, and skid to a halt in the short length of the two straps separating us, and stop millimeters from collecting us both up and ploughing into the wall.
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    damn drunks. :loaded
  3. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    :huh
  4. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn I miss that bike!
  5. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm lost as to what day we are on here but I thought this would provide a good break from preparing for a job interview in a weeks time. 30 minutes of RR relaxation!

OK, that's not the only reason why. The thought of having another 'massive' ride report to start in the not too distant future, one with Camels and Tuareg Rebels :deal really makes me want to get o the end of this fella.

So without further a do......where were we?

Oh, Tony's bikes dead. So we get that going with a little help from another Orange tractor.

[​IMG]

And hit the road.......along with all the oil, grease, diesel and every other god damn fluid those highly maintained mexican vehicles throw all over the road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like what I see in the distance as we head inland........

[​IMG]

We passed a couple of local, friendly ADVers along the way too

[​IMG]

But no sooner had we hit the dirt roads, leading us into Copper Canyon, that we came accross a little issue. The road dissapeared into what looked like a lake. Not good really :scratch

[​IMG]

And it soon became apparent that we were not the only ones. Some other fella's soon turned up that were also on the ferry.

[​IMG]

:scratch

:scratch

"this is not on the map" :scratch

Plan B......

Ride around a bit and assess the size of the issue.

Ant rides off in search for an alternative.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe we can ride around it......NO, too many mountains

Maybe there's another way......2 hours later....NO, no other way! :becca

Plan C.....ask the locals at the nearest town.

So, we head back into town. Obviously they are pleased to see us, or do they just want steekers??

[​IMG]

We attempt to find out some information in our limited Spanish knowledge. Ant takes the lead on this, I am crap at language!

[​IMG]

No info from the locals so we headed back to the water. There was a couple of cars there so maybe somebody will come back whi knows a way around.

On our way back ther was a car coming the other way. A farther and two elder doughters IIRC.

:knary:knary doughters, remember we've been away from sivilisation for almost a month :lol3

Anyway, we got info :clap

Apparently there is a small car ferry to get you accross the reservoir. Unfortunately it's broke :baldy

Plan D.....

We see a fisherman and offer him cash :deal

You got it.....$40 later, on with the Pyn bike :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, as if one wasn't enough, the decision was made to take two at a time to save time.

Next up, AntWares bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This wasn't easy at all. Fully loaded and fully fuelled 950's, teetering on a railway sleeper and moving target. It took a while and temperatures didn't help, even in the shade.

[​IMG]

With our bikes loaded onto the narrow boat.

"Grab your gear Ant, we're off!"

We climbed aboard and let the little 2-stroke motor do it's thing. Waving to the guys on the bank.

[​IMG]

Hoping nobody steels this while we are gone...

[​IMG]

It was a scary, but pleasant crossing. The pilot drinking tins of beer and rocking the boat didn't help. While they found it amusing, the thought of getting wet and $20,000 worth of motorcycles ending up in the bottom of the drink was not pleasant :huh

While the driver steered, the weeny 2-stroke motor in the back revving and coughing away trying to push the overweight trawler through the pond, and the remainder of us acting as bilge pumps to keep the leaking hull a-float :eek1

[​IMG]

Our Captain 'Chiko'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts of the old road, still visible along the banks of the reservoir....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we approached the other side, the old road (marked on the map) appears out of the water. And low and behold, there is the stricken ferry!

[​IMG]

It's getting late and the sun is heading home. We quickly unload as we know we need to get the guys back to the other side for the remainder of the bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I remember the crash bar of my bike going through the side of the fibre glass boat as we unload. AntWare making every attemp to keep the captain occupied so that he did not notice :eek1

Three bikes remaining at the other side, so this is where Plan E came about. To save having two trips, the local captain offered to use his engine to push the defunct ferry to the other side and bring all three bikes. Seemed a little bit too much to ask of the small outboard motor but he got on with it nonetheless..

[​IMG]

AntWare and I waited at this end, chilled out and took some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More locals having to make their daily commute by boat since the reservoir was built a few years back.

[​IMG]

Wait wait.......

It was a bit of a wait but they eventually arrived. What should of took us an hour to get from the ferry to here had taken us a whole day. Ah well, that's the spirit of adventure right there :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was time to go, crack a few more miles and find somewhere to sleep. We were all pretty tired and the sun had disappeared.

[​IMG]

It soon got dark and we found ourselves riding at night. The first stream crossing was well received as it gave us all chance to fill out camel backs.

[​IMG]

Just re-assessing the damage to the TouraTwat boxes........

[​IMG]

As we climbed into the hills (with the guys we had met on the ferry) it was time to set up camp and sleep. We needed to find a town for some food and drink tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NIGHT :wave

[​IMG]
  6. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Dudes... :eek1:lurk
  8. John K

John K Ambitious but rubbish

Oddometer:
    This has got to be a home page picture nomination! :clap

[​IMG]
  9. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hehe, already nominated........the Limey in Copper Canyon Mexico, damn that bikes been about! :D
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to see this thread back on the 1st page of ride reports.
    :clap :clap
    Your really gonna cramp Antware's style.:wave
  11. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    AntWare who?

This slouch?

You can tell he's thinking about ride reports.....yeah that's right, just thinkin'!

[​IMG]

:wave Ant
  12. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    I still laugh my ass off thinking about that afternoon. At the time we weren't exactly laughing though, especially when the bikes were about to take an unscheduled bath! Poor old boat....
  13. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    We sure did increase the depreciation on that boat :lol3
  14. NoMystery

NoMystery Jesse's Girl

Oddometer:
    Location Location: between Atlanta & the mountains
  15. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    Wow!

I found this thread because of the photo nomination. Damn glad to have done so.

Awesome story guys (and gals), well told and well photographed. Thanks for taking the time and efforrt to share it.
  16. nochance

nochance Über Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great report + pictures, it's the never ending story, love it
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Phew! Just got through this whole thing in about 2 days. Epic!!!

Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on completing this challenge. Definitely got me in the mood to start competing, although I'm smart enough (barely) to know it's not time for Two Barrels yet. Will probably pick up an 200 EXC this weekend, should be a bit better suited for the races (enduros) we mostly have over here than an SE.

:freaky To all the contributors!
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Wimp.
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Alright Mr. Funny Guy, are you aware of the fact that the "girly" 200 is still going to have more HP than your piggy DR? Huh? :wink::lol3
  20. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:

Oh all right then.

But you're not allowed to use anything more aggressive than TW42's.

And we want to see video :evil