1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Double Barrel Racing does the 2007 Baja 1000...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Team DBR, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Jhereg87

Jhereg87 The Outdoorsy One

Oddometer:
    WOW:eek1 Awesome thread, guys!

...Makes me want to start racing...:evil
  2. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    quite a bump. :lol2
  3. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
  4. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    Really :lol3

You guys need to this again, my t shirts are getting worn out.
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny this would pop up, most of us got together last week for some riding...

[​IMG]

It seems that friendships forged like ours were, have some staying power.
  6. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    No shit Ned, you meet on ADV Rider, agree to do the longest non-stop off-road race in the world in Mexico with a bunch of strangers and before you know it, your sat in a camel hair tent in the middle of Africa!

Cheers to that :clap

[​IMG]
  7. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Wish I could've made it - I miss these days.
  8. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Just amazing!
  9. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eight years ago I competed in the 40th anniversary of the longest non-stop off-road race in the world, the Baja 1000 in Baja, Mexico and this coming weekend I will compete in the 40th anniversary of the biggest desert race in Australia, the Tatts Finke Desert Race ‪#‎allineedismybike‬.

I've dropped a cylinder for the Finke so some might say it's only half the stupidity, but then again, riding here from the UK was pretty wild! ‪#‎2cylinderstwicethestupidity‬ ‪#‎racestoplaces‬ ‪#‎40YearsofFinke‬ ‪#‎Fnk40‬ ‪#‎Finke15‬ ‪#‎no622‬ ‪#‎Dakar‬ @Adventure-Spec

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    You also have a much better haircut this time round ;o)

Best of luck!

Jx
  11. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    .....and people keep knocking my long hair telling me to get it cut. I was gonna shave it all off but if Piglet likes it :D
  12. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    If you had Ned with you in Oz, you could have twice the squidly antics. :lol3 Would that make up for that lost cylinder?

Good luck, race hard, have fun.
    David
  13. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Doesn't happen to many of us! :hair
  14. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reflecting on my past, ADV Rider has been a big part of it.......

This is where adventure riding started for me and I've shared some crazy projects on there over the years, starting back in 2007 with the Baja 1000. Seeing the Baja race this week just prompted me to thank all of those people from ADV Rider than have supported my projects over the years. It's definitely been a team effort and the encouragement I have received through my video series and media provides a big part of the motivation I need to keep going. I'm already looking forward to sharing the next project and the daily footage from the Africa Eco Race this coming January. A project with a difference, a team of British, Australian, American and South African riders making a daily video series, it's going to be hectic. Loads more info and ways to get involved here: https://advrider.com/support-lyndon...o-places-7-days-remaining-on-the-kickstarter/
    hilslamer, CodyY, knight and 5 others like this.
  15. lahauteur

lahauteur n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just read through this great thread in the lead up to Pyndon's next team adventure, the 2020 Africa Eco Rally. Good luck, may the adventures continue.
    Hayduke likes this.
  16. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read this RR some years ago and just did it again. Even better the second time. Have to say, I am curious as to where everyone who was a part of this had their lives take them? Where in the world are they living and what have they done with their lives? The reason for the curiosity is that an event like this has a great impact on where a persons future goes. Anyway I do love Baja, it and it’s people are so truly special!!!! My wife and I in late November will start spending our winters on Baja s beaches in a weee toy wagon. I shall explore on my wr250r. A great read and a bow to all of you. Well done. Petepilot
    Beaumont Paco and Stephen like this.
  17. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    I hadn't looked at this thread in ages...which is not to say I forgot any of it. Pretty shocking how young I looked 13 years ago, LOL.

I did quite a few more trips down to Baja after this, but never raced down there again. Racing the AMRA series in addition to racing SCORE stuff was exhilarating but very time consuming and expensive. I pretty much got out of racing after my last successful season in 2009, in the AMRA series. "Quit while you're ahead," so to speak. As fun as it was, racing was taking every last spare dollar I had, and then the ~2009 recession subtracted a lot of my sponsorships so it got even more expensive. I really wanted to try racing the Western Hare Scrambles series, or something national, but had neither the time off of work or the money, and I wasn't willing to go into debt trying to make it as a privateer pro.

Decided to pursue adventure riding and the like after that - more riding for less money. I did a lot of that from 2009-2012, when the opportunity to move to New Zealand with my GF at the time came up and we packed everything in a container and left. Was supposed to be a 2-year position for her; I was pretty burnt out on Corporate America so I took a leave of absence from my job with the intention to work 'fun' jobs in NZ so I would have time to explore. I did a lot of riding of all kinds in NZ, and helped put on races like the NutBuster and some of the NZ National Enduro series, etc. I have not, to date, done any competition in NZ yet. I may get back to it just for fun.

Her contract got extended to three years, so I started looking for a real job again. About that time she decided she'd had enough of me, and I had found a good job in NZ. Ironically I met another American girl down in NZ not long after, and five years later we have a toddler and own a house on the South Island of NZ. I still have a 530EXC but it's been parked up so I can focus on fathering, but we're at the point now where I'll clean the carb out and get it going again soon.

If you had read this story to me on the way home from Baja after that race, I would have laughed and told you you were crazy.
  18. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Hilslamer that’s a hard 90 degree turn. New Zealand!!!! Even to a retired truck pilot who used to think coast to coast loads where no big deal. New Zealand, that’s big deal. Good on you. And obviously you much like the country. If ever your traveling in my corner of the world, do reach out. I be more than willing to help with the planning of a moto stroll. May I ask what part of the u.s.your lady from? Take Care Petepilot
    hilslamer likes this.