1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Team Hillbilly's attack on the Tour of Idaho (TOI) T1

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeff@TheQuadShop, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    If you've never heard the TOI, it's basically a 1600+ mile off road route from the UT/ID border all the way through ID to the Canadian border using mostly single track and ATV trails. You have 9 day's to complete the tour and must hit multiple challenge points and challenge sections along the way. If you earn enough points and stay on the track, you earn the right to be on the TOI finishers list. In 12 years several hundred people have tried but only 52 have completed the tour as described by the rules. I will be joined by my long time friend @KentuckyWR, my friends @RozzyCat and Roger Lohrum who finished in 2015 will be making their 2nd attempt 1 week before our departure date.

The head honcho of the TOI names each team, we have been named Team Hillbilly. I'm assuming that we were named that since we are from KY.

The web site is http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm and here is a fantastic video by off road legend Jimmy Lewis

Myself and @KentuckyWR aka Kent Anness will be making posts here for our and your amusement before during and after our TOI attempt.
    mbabc and Motero2 like this.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Me and my ride...

I've been riding and racing for 30+ years all over the US and earned many national, regional and local championships along the way. My focus now (besides my family) is the Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT) http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-kentucky-adventure-tour-kat.919224/ and long distance off road rides and a few races just for fun.

My bike started out as a low mileage street ridden only 99 Suzuki DR350SEX model.

[​IMG]

Over the last several years I have modified it to be my ideal long distance off road bike. The following pics are of the setup that I will be using on my TOI attempt. I may change a couple of things but they will most likely be minor as I do a couple of shake down runs over the next two months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a list of some of the major mods that I made and why I made them over stock.

5.8 gallon XR650L Acerbis tank. You have to have a maximum range of 250 miles between gas stations on the TOI, this will get me just over 300 miles.
    Fishers modified seat. I had it made taller and wider for my height and comfort for long days in the saddle.
    ProTaper CR-Hi bend bars. I've ran these for my entire 30 year racing career, I can't imagine using anything else!
    Highway Dirt Bike hand guards. They are simply the strongest on the market and have built in mirrors that actually work.
    Highway Dirt Bike top clamp. This is a great place to mount switches and Powerlet ports for running the GPS's that I will need.
    DRZ400 digital speedometer. More compact than stock and has 2 reset-able trips.
    TrailTech mini tach and volt meters. Good info.
    Grip heaters. It will get below freezing at some point on the TOI, I like my hands warm!
    OEM Honda grips. I've used them for 30 years.
    Cyclops dual LED lights. Some mornings we will leave before the sun comes up and get in after dark, these turn night into day!
    ADV Monster H4 LED bulb for stock headlight. Same as above.
    Early DR650 headlight fairing. Because I like it.
    DRZ400SE 49mm Cartridge forks. Although the 43mm forks that come on the later models DR's work very well, the DRZ forks work even better with almost no flex but remain super plush for the rocks and roots.
    Rear shock resprung and revalved by Works Enduro Rider. The stock shock settings are simply too soft and do under dampened for my riding style.
    Thumper Racing skid plate. I wouldn't risk riding without one!
    Anti Gravity battery. They are very reliable and super light weight.
    Skaggs rear rack. The only one on the market that I could find that I really liked, it's held up great.
    PM Racks pannier racks. Keeps the bags off of the exhaust and side panels.
    FMF PowerCore with the 1 1/8" quiet core. I hate loud pipes but wanted to shed some weight over the heavy stock one. With the quiet core, it's almost as quiet as stock but less than half the weight.
    The tires will be Dunlop AT81 RC's. They are proven to last the whole distance with knobs to spare.
    Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with Slime. No one likes a flat!
    15/47 Sunstart sprockets and DID X-Ring ATV chain. I may change to 14/47 pending testing.
    Fuzeblock FZ-1 fuse panel for the electronics.
    Tool Tube for the tools. Self explanatory.
    Giant Loop Mojavi bags. Some of the best in the business!
    Wolfman Enduro Pocket. For the quick to reach stuff.
    Ram mounts for iPhone and Garmin 478 with Touratech flat mount.
    IMS Pegs with dirt DR mounts.
    Motero2, gwhis, mrgrimm and 2 others like this.
  3. KentuckyWR

KentuckyWR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the Team Name, "Team Hillbilly" is a term of endearment in that Martin is also from Kentucky AND I saw that same name on some road racing leathers hanging on the wall in his garage!

My bike of choice for the Tour of Idaho is a barely used 2015 WR450F. I picked it up from our local shop as a guy traded it in on a crotch rocket. The odometer read 97 miles when I loaded it in the van. It now has right around 400 miles on it and the vast majority of that mileage was accumulated during a November outing with @Jeff@TheQuadShop while he was exploring new routes for the Kentucky Adventure Tour. I typically ride a 2-stroke and haven't spent much time on a 4 stroke since I sold my 2003 WR450 in 2008. As a result, a big part of the adventure will be re-adapting to the heavier 4-stroke machine.

Below are some pics and a listing of upgrades, most of which were done specifically for the Tour outing.

[​IMG]
    The WR Prior to Significant Upgrades in Spring 2017

[​IMG]
    The WR in November 2017 Prior to KAT Exploration Outing

[​IMG]
    A Recent Close Up of Some Upgrades

[​IMG]
    Front View Showing Baja Designs Headlight

[​IMG]
    My Simple "Dashboard"

Below is a fairly comprehensive and updated listing of upgrades:

Yamaha GYTR Competition Programmable ECU
    Yamaha GYTR Power Tuner
    Baja Designs Dual Sport Taillight
    Baja Designs License Plate Holder
    Solid Rear Rotor
    Cycra Yamaha-branded ProBend Hand Guards
    Scott Full Waffle Grips
    FMF Q4 Hex Exhaust
    YZ250 KYB SSS Forks
    Yamaha GYTR Radiator Braces
    Universal 12 Volt Horn (Black 2.25”)
    Mirror Mount for Clutch Perch
    Safari Gas Tank
    Double Take Enduro Mirror & Mount
    Scotts Performance Steering Stabilizer Tower
    Fisher Custom Seat
    Sunstar Steel Rear Sprocket (52)
    Giant Loop Mojavi Saddle Bag
    Kriega US-10 Drypack
    Kriega US-5 Drypack
    Kriega Pack Mounts (2 sets = total of 8)
    Boyesen Supercooler Kit (WPK-38M)
    Wolfman Front Fender Bag
    Kriega Dry Bags (2 small & 1 medium)
    Giant Loop One Gallon Gas Bag & Funnel
    Fisher Seat
    Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount for Montana Series
    TM Designworks Skidplate (Blue)
    TM Designworks Case Saver
    TM Designworks Factory Edition 2 Chain Guide
    TM Designworks Rear Disc Guard
    AntiGravity XP3 Power Supply/Jump Starter
    AntiGravity 8-cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Baja Designs XL Pro Lighting System
    Rear Tire (GoldenTyre GT333 120/100 x 18)
    Front Tire (GoldenTyre GT216AA – "FATTY")
    Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Front Tube
    Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Rear Tube
    DID Pro VX Ring 520VX2
    Sunstar Front Sprocket (14)
    Sunstar Rear Sprocket - Steel (52)

More details on the bike and why these upgrades were made can be found here: http://annessky.net/blog/?p=2845

Information on the initial bike prep upgrades are here: http://annessky.net/blog/?p=2581

See this link to view our countdown page: http://annessky.net/toi.html

Thanks to @RozzyCat for getting us interested in the Tour of Idaho. Wish us luck on our adventure!

See you on the trail!
  4. brianpeck

brianpeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stoked for you guys & to follow along. Looks like an awesome journey!
    Jeff@TheQuadShop and KentuckyWR like this.
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    We can post up our SPOT tracker links before we go if you guys want to keep an eye on our progress.
    slane6, smthng and Greg Bender like this.
  6. Dolmar

Dolmar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your Dr is a real inspiration for my solo Simpson desert crossing build. I too will be going with the xr650 tank and some similar mods. Really looking forward to how your Dr performs. Great bike and good luck!!
    KentuckyWR and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  7. Sootgrinder

Sootgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! The T1 is on my bucket list. I will follow along and will be cheering you cats on the whole way !
  8. Sootgrinder

Oddometer:
    I have a logistics/ planning question. As per the rules you cannot have a support truck nor can you stage supplies. Once you reach the end you are roughly 1600 miles from where you started and will have a bald or darn near bald set of tires. How do you get back to the starting point or your truck/ trailer? Do you pre stage a second vehicle at the end? Do you ride back on the road and hope to get a fresh set of rubber on the way? What is your vision for the logistics?
    Soot
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    We will be renting a U-Haul truck to get the bikes back. There are a couple of locals that offer transport as well.
    KentuckyWR likes this.
  10. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys! I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Day one of the Tour of Idaho T1 bike and equipment test went great. We rode the 70 mile Redbird Crest loop, both bikes and bag setups worked better than expected. Tomorrow we will be riding Hard 5 of the Kentucky Adventure Tour.

52B3FE28-91AF-4A31-A6F9-970E9B496F28.jpeg
  12. KankakeeBenjamin

KankakeeBenjamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me and a buddy attempted the TOI last year 2017. We didn’t make it very far. Looks like you guys know what your doing but if I was going to throw advice out it would be to leave half the stuff you packed behind.

Light is definitely right!!!
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    The stuff that we have is basically only what Martin recommends.
    KankakeeBenjamin likes this.
  14. KankakeeBenjamin

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you guys are far more prepared. We made a few fatal flaws that we quickly recognized.

Have a blast and I look forward to your posts.

Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Care to share what those flaws were?
  16. KankakeeBenjamin

Oddometer:
    We rode a bunch to prepare but never rode our bikes with the 5.3 gallon tanks and 25 pounds of luggage. That was our biggest error.

The bikes were very difficult to handle with the added weight. Unfortunately we never took the time to ride the bikes in TOI form.

Gates and navigation was another challenge. We must have opened 10/15 gates the first 6 hours. Might sound simple but getting on and off your bike that many times with all the gear is a little time consuming. Also you will never find a flat spot to park your bike while passing through gates.

Navigation we did ok but every error or stop to check yourself costs time.

I plan to try again (for fun not the challenge) in 2019. Ultimately we didn’t have enough experience yet.

I would say have fun and be prepared to persevere. Sounds like you guys are pretty well dialed in.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motero2 and Jeff@TheQuadShop like this.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Day 2 of our Tour of Idaho bike and equipment test was a blast. There was a heavy rain that came through this morning that made the Kentucky Adventure Tour hard 5 trail a bit slick but we didn’t have any problems. Just a couple of minor adjustments to be made for both of us and we’ll be ready to head west. We will be posting up the helmet cam videos in a day or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SSE likes this.
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Video's to come soon.
  19. Sootgrinder

Oddometer:
    Great job guys. And thanks Ben for sharing your lessons learned with the rest of us. I'm hoping to do either the TOI, or the ridaho in a year or so, and I'm eager to learn as much as I can.
    KankakeeBenjamin likes this.
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Here's some video's of our test ride...

@KentuckyWR 's view...