Team Magoo Baja Ride - Part Deaux

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AteamNM, Feb 26, 2015.

1. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    Beaches, badlands, brews, bikes and.............
    BAJA
    [​IMG]

Beaches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Badlands
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brews
    [​IMG]

10 riders collected in Florence Arizona, Baja bound again. The recipe for a Baja cocktail was shaken, stirred and served up with a taste of dust, sand, salt, sweat, sun and smiles. Kevin Gallaher led Team Magoo on a second trip, 2013 for myself and a few others followed Big Sprocket all over Baja. The deadly hook of Baja was set, the taste of fish tacos and deep sand riding, missions, sunsets that make a post card, wildness and remoteness, little villages and lonely roads. That sweet taste of local cervezza's and the satisfaction of sharing a ride with honorable members of Team Magoo. Oh what a cocktail served to us all. Top Shelf Ingredients. :norton The taste, ecstasy!

Our team consists of Brain & Laurie Behling from Sipapu New Mexico (Taos). Both have been riding all over the country, trials riders and world travlers. This dynamic duo were a team of their own. We marveled at the determination and cheerful spirit in difficult times. Laurie rides a blinged out farkle queen Husky 250, she rides it standing 90% of the time. Brian is strapped into a KTM 500 that he managed so well in crazy fesh fesh fields. This ionic couple were admired daily by all of us. I have known Brian for over 25 years.

Bruce Bolander, is the ultimate team member on any team, including his all state selection in basketball this year. Motocross racing, skiing, riding a bicycle from Canada to Mexico, the list goes on and on. Bruce grew up and still lives at Sipapu ski resort and carries all the skills you could ever put on a Swiss army knife. Bruce was our sweeper and his efforts were so valuable and appreciated. Bruce rails his KTM 500. Bruce is kind of old but he acts 35 and backs it up. Chopo is also the mcGiver of Team Magoo. Do not, repeat DO NOT try to ride fast or ski fast with Bruce. :huh

Kevin Gallaher, AKA Big Sprocket. Kevin led us around 2 years ago and threw the wood to us all. We were truly missing our all star rider from last year Chuck Sutton, otherwise the whole Team Magoo was there to follow and ride our brains out. Kevin resides close to Baja in Apache Junction Arizona and now professionally guides dual sport rides all over the 4 corners. While out riding solo in the Pacific Northwest last year on his 990, Kevin managed to break is leg and shatter stuff out in the wilds. After a dramatic self rescue he made his way back to Arizona to rehab. Kevin is a work out maniac so he pushed his PT to the limits and against all doctors orders and common sense piloted his KTM 690 as if nothing ever happened. Mounting & dismounting on his 6 foot tall 690 was a dance to say the least.

Ray Roblin, Dallas Texas. Long time member of Team New Mexico and near 100 national trials competitions nation wide. Ray has been visiting the Land of Enchantment for decades. Ray made all DR 650 owners world wide proud riding his Suzuki beast in virgin to Ray desert conditions. Ray weeps of common sense and part of his style is just solid riding in all conditions. A big bike and a newb to Baja Ray earned his miles. Ray is also my best friend. :D

Andrew La Rosa is a newb to motorcycles and well the whole gambit of dual sport riding. Andrew assembled a basket case XR400 and the bike never missed a beat. Truly a great bike for Baja. Andrew drew on a lot of road racing bicycle experience and after meeting his new neighbor Big Sprocket, Andrew has like 3 motorcycles in his garage. Once the Baja Bug got into Andrews blood, he was hooked. Andrew just rode so well, everyday was a self guided discovery. Pressure, standing, the magic tempo and cadence of kick starting his Honda, loosing a tail bag of tools leaving Mikes Sky Ranch and adding the magical duct tape fix to riding boots only heightened the whole damn experience of riding Baja. Job well done Andrew.

Rob Byrd or Doc Rob lives in Albuquerque. Rob writes the book on consistency and dependability. Rob was so well sorted, an obvious veteran of dual sport and adventure riding. Always ready to go, always right in the thick of things providing his cheeky smile and assistance. Rob is that guy that quietly goes about his business and rides his DRZ 400 with precession and technique. I know that he and Curtis have put in a ton of miles together. I earned a few knuckle 5's from Rob, made my day.

Curtis Kohl - NMTrailBoss. Curtis is part geographer (map freak X100), a historian, a mechanic, a GPS guru and incredible navigator, a trials rider and a dual sport rider that has more moto experience in his ADV finger than I have in my whole body. Want to know about a mountain range, river, abandoned rail road or mines, killer routes in Death Valley or Jackson Wyoming, ask Curtis. Curtis is the white filling that holds the Oreo cookie together. Curtis is a guide and a navigator, that guy who is always counting heads and providing the pep talk. Oh one last comment that is a must to understand TrailBoss, he likes to take photos. He hogs the glory spot on the points at the beach with his big red pig XR650 and scurries around like a Beagle as soon as the bikes stop. He is also the last guy to saddle up when we are leaving. I think Curtis took over 1500 photos.

Tony Herald - ME! I have ridden a whole lot of observed trials. I bought a XR 250 on a whim. I then got a moto license and flew to Virginia and rode a KLR back to NM. I like to ride motorcycles, especially with a great group in an incredible place like Baja. My first trip to Baja was on a borrowed DRZ. I bought Casper the DRZ not long after my first Baja trip. I have a trials mentality when I ride. It gets me in trouble. :evil I also like to document trips like these. Photos and a few videos. I am also that guy that seems to get into trouble. Someone has to be a pain in the ass on these trips. Big Sprocket laughs at my jokes. I live near ABQ and part time in Kentucky.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Chris Corcoran is Team Magoo. Chris is the brain child of this trip. We all can thank Captain Magoo everyday we bring up Baja memories. Chris has an arsenal of bikes to choose from and he left the Harley (a friends in his garage and it looks silly next to a KTM, Vee Strom, a Sherco trials bike and a XR650). Chris took his well sorted XR650 and I think he surprised himself on what a Baja Beast that bike is. Magoo is the nucleus of our team and his Spanish skilz and banking skilz are a large part of making our trip so easy and fun. Chris also works tirelessly as a board member of NMOHVA. Our yearly Sipapu ShinDig and Monticello Box organized rides are a large part of Chris's efforts with NMOHVA. Thank you Chris :clap:clap

Drum Roll.....................
    Team Magoo - Part Deaux

[​IMG]

Day 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ride report will be a collective effort from all 10 Team Magoo members including Team Dead End. Photo bombs and witty commentary to follow. I don't think I'm the only one that smells fish tacos in the air and the weight of riding boots sitting on the beach in BAJA!
  2. Bear Creek West

Bear Creek West Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, even though you had me at Baha, your team description makes me want to tag along even more! :clap:clap

Must be great living in NM within striking distance of such great riding.

Bring on the updates!
  3. belleringer

belleringer standing on the pegs

Oddometer:
    dallas, but a long suffering dolphins fan
    an epic trip; great friends and fresh sand for everyone, no lines and no waiting when the big chief gets the hat on. the first day had what i thought was everything i could imagine but it was only a taste of the good ride ...
  4. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    :clap:ear:clap
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All in, loved the last one---great intro!!
  6. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    I am a fellow NorthernNewMexican and envious as Hell, I was just there @ X-mas time. Now this is seducing me to return to that drink called ECTASea. Baja is such a wonderful place to disappear. Not sure what it is but there is something special about that spit of land. "Must be the taco's". Hasta la vista muchachos y muchacha. Happy Trials. ODC. :pynd:ricky
  7. NevBlu

NevBlu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride, eat, sleep, and repeat. I will be reading too. :D
  8. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's read!
  9. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet!!! Looking forward to the rest of the ride.
  10. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Great intro. Tony!!

This was indeed a great trip with an outstanding team of riders of all skill levels. A few minor mishaps along the way but we worked through the minor issues as a team and had a great experience that I'm sure we will not soon forget! Let the stories begin! :deal
  11. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    In, ready to live vicariously through you guys!
    :clap
  12. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

another AteamNM ride report in the works! :clap

Baja is a special place, yesterday was Coco's 78th birthday!
  13. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Team Magoo in Baja? :ear

I'm on that LIKE BARTEK ON A TACO!!

:dg

Go,Tony, go! :clap
  14. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I am in. Great pics ! Can you tell me where the above map is from? Or is it software ? Love the detail.
  15. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    It is a screen shot of our day 1 track on the Cartografia E32 Mexico software on Mapsource. As you zoom in, there is much more detail and good topography. These were great maps/software for this ride and I highly recommend them for any Baja/Mexico riding. :deal
  16. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will let Tony start us off on day one and will provide some MyBaja comments as a Baja newbie. Glad to see we got some popcorn eaters!
  17. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    :jose Picture time, first day was a great shake down. 10 riders are always going to stay tight and in a well mannered formation, right.:muutt
    A short slab ride north out of San Felipe put us on a dirt road weasterly off Mex 5 to Mike's Sky Ranch. In Baja roads change condition based on elevation and the basin and range topography. A well packed dirt road can go to sheeeet in a New York minute.

[​IMG]

The difference between a sandy road and fesh fesh is determined by how many trophy trucks rip through the area. Team Magoo quickly found riding conditions - different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short work or what :ear
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    On a long deep sandy road somehow we lost the group behind Kevin, Curtis and myself. Where could the other 7 riders be? Curtis consulted his GPS and discovered a slight variation of our actual route versus the GPS mapped route. We waited :ddog and waited.

I knew that a lake bed was coming up. I love lake bed riding. 2 years ago Big Sprocket hit 101 MPH on his GPS. I was thinking about a new land speed DRZ record, where the heck is our team. :jive

In the meantime the lost riders were enjoying time along. Fact is they went off piste looking for anything that was not deep silt death fesh.
    [​IMG]
  19. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl

Oddometer:
    Certainly, subscribed! :lurk
    Wow, what a fabulous intro, Tony! :clap. Thanks for being the RR leader! :nod.

And other thanks are in order:
    Magoo for being the banker! The heady number of pesos spent (vs USD), even just at the Pemex, was probably at the 5-figure level. And if it wasn't, that's a good reason for me to never have been the banker. :lol3

Chopo for tirelessly--and cheerfully-- picking up my bike at least a half-dozen times. :bow.

TeamDeadEnd for providing great help to Brian, having a nice wide highway of a track to follow in the first day's sand :D, and also picking up my bike

NMTrailBoss for all the Google Earth GPS track and waypoint work, and also picking up my bike

Big Sprocket for leading and trying to keep us on schedule

Sin Luz for having another bike like mine that didn't like going 60mph on the pavement :freaky

BelleRinger for having that visible-from-space (and many miles behind him) hi-viz helmet

And of course NMTrialsGuy, the other part of my positive/negative ionic couple :clap

LittleWan, you would not believe how often Brian and I said to each other "make sand your favorite". Often through gritted, and gritty!, teeth...
  20. AteamNM

Oddometer:

Curtis provided the screen shots to me. I then copy the photo and insert into PowerPoint. From this program I can add notes and comments. The GPS software the team purchased was better than what my Garmin Oregon was showing. I then save the file as a jpeg and save into SmugMug. A map of each day is a very good visual. :deal