Team Magoo Baja Ride - Part Deaux

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AteamNM, Feb 26, 2015.

1. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:

:lol3
  2. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geology, biology and history. We need to ride Baja together. I think it would be a hoot. You guys had a well rounded group.

PS - when are the finals :rofl
  3. belleringer

belleringer standing on the pegs

Oddometer:
    dallas, but a long suffering dolphins fan
    and i thought geologists had the runny mouths ... i stand corrected by the big chief!
  4. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer:
    As we left Chucks Landing the gravel road just east of Mex Highway 5 was typical boulder strewn & loose rutted hill climb out of the tidal basin (Chucks Landing). I was following Big Sprocket and we were jostling up the hill and the ruts in the road started getting deeper and the rocks started getting bigger. Kevin was staying right and the ruts were converging to the outcrop on his right. Ultimately Kevin stopped and I rode a bit past him and stopped. We were on a steep hill and the footing was loose scree and large roving Oboma Heads. At this point I rode on up the hill and crossed several large ruts. I guess this is where some members of Team Magoo were watching from below and commented that my rear tire was dancing. I was looking for a place to stop and park when a sneaky ass Oboma Head rolled under my rear tire and down the bike went. My second dirt nap of the day. I picked up the bike and was HOT! The temperature was warm and I was working hard.

I quickly went back to consult with Big Sprocket. There is no way the Team is going to follow us up this road. Kevin agreed and we got his bike turned around. Bruce was soon there, parked his bike near the bottom and walked up as we repositioned the 690 KTM. First the 690 beast does not t have a turning radius worth a damn, I guess more point and shoot. Secondly the clutch:huh Ohmygodwhatasmoothbutterfeelinglever. Damnit Kevin why did I ever feel this trials clutch? I have thought of that smooth and easy clutch more than once.

We got Kevin's bike back down the hill and I went back to my bike. I wanted to ride on and connect back to the highway but thought that the last day I don't need to be laid out here like Chuck was 2 years ago. We re-grouped back on the highway and Ray got a bit of video here. This little area south of the Cow Patty is just awesome and seems to be one to respect.

Oh yea, my earlier dirt nap was when Big Sprocket and I turned around on a very deep sand road that terminated into a stream channel that I remembered from 2 years ago. Making a turn in this stuff was crazy. As I rode back to head off the team I came upon another dirt nap scene, not sure who it was that was sleeping on the job. I rode through the crowd and was doing a great job of trials riding and stopped next to Bruce and immediately dropped the bike in the sand. Thanks Bruce for helping me with my bike, it's a bitch to pick up a bike in deep sand.

On to the Cow Patty, and of course Laurie makes friends with critters immediately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to San Felipe.
    [​IMG]
  5. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. Big Sprocket

Big Sprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Big Sprocket has been described by many as being "Full of it". He does know his crap about crap however.:puke1
  7. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Coprolite One Oh One
    Just think if you studied geology, you could have specialized in the study of coprolites. :pynd

Coprolite (meaning "dung stone" - kopros means dung and lithikos means stone in Greek) is fossilized feces (animal waste). And no, coprolite does not smell bad - it had undergone a fossilization process.

[​IMG]

By formal definition, coprolites are the fossilization or preservation of the contents of the intestine and the excrement of organisms, or quite simply they are fossilized feces. Coprolites are quite rare because they tend to decay rapidly, but when they are found, they are most commonly found among sea organisms. Coprolites of fish and reptiles are especially common. Typically nodular or contorted in appearance, coprolites are composed of pulverized indigestible remnants of the organism's food, such as portions of scales, bones, teeth or shells, hence, they are very phosphatic in composition as well. These pulverized remains of food, otherwise known as "dung-stone," are preserved by process of petrification or cast and mold.
    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/paleo/fossilsarchive/coprol.html

:cob
  8. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    On our way from the Cow Patty to SF Kevin and I got ahead of the group on the slab so we waited at a cross roads. About 7 Baja Buggy's crossed the highway while we waited. Those buggy's look like a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

In downtown San Felipe. Traffic, WTF :ear
    [​IMG]

Curtis will have a photo bomb later, he is working on a customers trials bike today.

Ray captured some more stealth video so I assembled a few clips and put together this compilation of our tourista ride today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DrJApwVhD4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. Big Sprocket

Big Sprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you base your ride out of San Felipe, once your trip is completed, it is a Baja ritual to bypass any thoughts of going straight to the motel and giving in to "the trip is over". One and all must head to the Bar Miramar Cantina at the end of the Malecon and keep the ride & party alive. But don't park outside, ride up the ramp into the covered outside "Drinking" area and park inside the bar. This would not be allowed if in the states. Thank the Motorcycle Gods that Baja is not the US. I'm just adhering to the way I was taught. Besides that, it was hot and the Big Sprocket was mighty thirsty. Thanks to Tony who walked in first to make sure it was still OK to ride in. As I say, thank the MG's that Baja ain't in the States.
  10. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    Great job on this ride report, Tony & Curtis! :clap

Can't wait till the next Baja ride----:ricky
  11. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl

Oddometer:
    After the fishing village dogs :eek1 and just plain ol' cats at Coco's :rolleyes, it was nice to meet such a friendly dog!
    [​IMG]
    I could say the dog was so nice because she sure looked part heeler like my dog Lucy.

and it was interesting to spot in Cowpatty's what I wouldn't expect to see in Baja:
    [​IMG]
    but it made Brian (raised in Ann Arbor, MI) feel a touch of home.

Great pics Tony and Curtis :clap! Great explanations Tony for the rocks and Kevin for the, uh, "cowpatties" :lol3
  12. TEAMDEADEND

TEAMDEADEND Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Team magoo day 6 ....love the videos ateam and bellringer put together just a value added aspect to the rr. And with great soundtracks.......thx again.
    The ride "into" miramar bar reinforced we were indeed south of the border and put an exclamation point on the trip nicely but the tasty meal we had that night on the malecon was also great as we mulled over how big sprocket and crew made a sincere effort to create beer shortages all over northern baja and move the local economies, of each town, well ahead of their quarterly projections for 2015! Big sprocket would nod and quietly say "por nada".
    Thanks again to big sprocket pulling this large group through baja even coast to coast in one day (day 4) with the extended "evening ride excursion @zero dark thirty" being one of my favorite value added moments of the trip.
    To anyone who has looked at this ride report and wondered if maybe possibly i need to do this... We hope you do. Just get started now about thinking big because baja is about exceeding your expectations.... The place, the people, the riding....so lucky to have shared it with team magoo..adios
  13. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    In keeping with Sprocket's trip ending tradition in San Felipe, when we got to town, he rode right past our motel and headed right down the main drag in San Felipe, pulled up to the Bar Miramar and stopped. Rob and I looked at each other saying "what the f**k is he doing?" :dunno Tony gets off the bike and runs into the bar for a few seconds and returns with the thumbs up... :thumb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, right behind Tony, a lady comes running out and is waving to us all to come in. :huh Sprocket fires up his bike and heads between the Toyota and the small car in the photo above, hops the curb and rides right up the ramp into the bar! One by one, we all ride our bikes up the ramp into the bar and park on either side! This Baja place is crazy!! :scratch....:loco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We parked and got our helmets off and the lady (unfortunately I never caught her name) seems excited to see 10 bikes in the bar and asks if she can get photos of a young girl with the bikes. "Absolutely!" we said!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the lady arranges several tables together for us on the patio and then the bartender comes by bringing us two buckets of beer and ice with cups of limes! I love this Baja place!! The Big Sprocket knows where to party...let the trip ending celebration begin!! :clap......:freaky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Celebrating Rob's first Baja trip in the bag!!
    [​IMG]

Post ride massage!
    [​IMG]

One last sticker donation to Baja for this trip!
    [​IMG]

A lot of dead soldiers after a short while there! :photog
    [​IMG]

As we were getting up to leave, two guys on 990 Adventures pulled up inside the bar as well...gotta love this place! :rofl
    [​IMG]

Finally had to head back to the motel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few minutes later we pull up to our motel to finish the ride. :cry It had been an awesome ride with great friends and amazingly we had experienced NO flats or mechanical problems at all (other than a broken sidestand bolt). :eek1 I attribute a lot of this to Kevin preaching bike prep before the trip and our team all did a great job of having the bikes ready for this ride. Pretty amazing for 10 bikes/20 wheels to have no flats in 6 days of riding!
    [​IMG]

Went ahead and loaded the bikes for the drive back home the next day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final helmet shot in the tradition of the first Team Magoo Baja ride! :wings
    [​IMG]

Trip's over but we still have the final celebration dinner on our last night in Baja! :dg
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  14. Big Sprocket

Big Sprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:

Tony, you are a Geologist, not a Crapoligist like me. My trained eye knows that this is not fossilized animal waste or "Kot" as the Germans would say. The Latin word for Kot is "Merda" (also an ex girlfriends name), the Canadian word for Merda is "Crap, Eh?" Extensive seconds of research suggests that this is from a human who suffered greatly from "Verstopfung" (German) for constipation. Proof of this is in the pudding. Notice the nodular, almost right angle contorsion, of the Kot proving signs of Expellation Struggle or ES. Dehydration, caused from lack of hydration, is the cause. Otherwise known as a TT (trail turd), they often occur in remote places in Baja. But when your keen eye found this trail side treasure, you had to be speechless. So was I, as I was the culprit. Most times you can blame the leader, who sometimes gets ahead of the pack on purpose. He has to visit the bank to make a "Certificate of Deposit". Then when the rest of the pack shows up, the "depositor" is furthest away from the Bank Teller, in this case you.
    Typically, Kot, in this case is made up of partially digested fish & shrimp taco's, chips & salsa, carne asada and lots of hot sauce, etc...this is where the deception comes in. Due to the harsh Baja climate, which is atypical to the distal if not the anterior nature and according to Al Gore, things age very quickly there. Just ask him. That Coprolite looked a million years old to your trained eye...but in reality was only five minutes old!!!!!!! I love ya Tony!!!!!!!:lobby
  15. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it's time for some tire pics!

Chopo's MotoZ Hybrid, new at start on his KTM 500 EXC. He said it was ok. Not a glowing endorsement, sounded to me. Hey Team Magoo: anyone else talk to Bruce about how he thought the Hybrid did? :dunno
    [​IMG]

BelleRinger's Dunlop D606, new at start on his DR650. Unfortunately I either didn't ask Ray about how well he liked the tire, or I asked after the end-of-ride beer and remember nothing! :augie
    [​IMG]

Big Sprocket's Maxxis Desert IT, new at start on his KTM 690. He was very happy with it.
    [​IMG]
    A pensive Big Sprocket at one of the last Sea of Cortez overlooks:
    [​IMG]

My Pirelli MT43, new at start on my Husky TE250. I had never ridden deep sand before nor a full knobbie (trials tires give me a warm comfy feeling :D) and Kevin said we (Brian and I, the ionic couple :norton :lol3) would've been better served by full knobbie in the sand.
    [​IMG]

and the last stats: :cry
    [​IMG]

777 total miles! :clap

no more of this
    [​IMG]
  16. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Ah, I see know what you mean Big Sprocket. Geology is a speculative, arm waving, geo-fantasizing endeavor at best. Interpretation is heart & soul of bane. Generally we spout our theories but know deep in our core that we will likely stand corrected, we find other truths and facts that reveal yet another failed hypothesis, as TC Chamberlian reminds of in his teachings and the Multiple Working Hypothesis. So in repetitive fashion I stand corrected and will for now forward understand these rare trail side excrements as Ursa Sprokitous CopraBajitas. Maybe my hand lens, geo hammer and field bag will be required on our next Baja adventure? Your coprolite scientific abstract was just marvelous:clap:clap:clap

:cromag

A many heavy pack we sling,
    By the thought and dent of hammerin'.

We measure strata thick and thin,
    We run our lines and tie them in.

We wear a patch on our behind,
    We pick away on the old earth rind;
    Oh a merrier group you'll never find.

And Sunday's work is never sin,
    By the thought and dent of hammerin'.

:rilla

:hide
  17. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Ride Report foot note:

We are near 32,000 views
    477 responses
    32 pages

Curtis and I talked about the report to some degree.

• We wanted the report to be a LOT of photos.
    • We wanted our report to be chronological ( I tried :evil).
    • We wanted the report to include everyone's contribution
    • We wanted our report to be historically informative.
    • We wanted the report to contain great graphics and routes.
    • We wanted the report to have cool videos of each day.
    • We wanted a lot of people to read and hopefully enjoy our report.

We were highly successful. We ran our lines and tied them in.

• Curtis wanted 30 pages, check.
    • Curtis wanted 450 responses, check
    • Curtis wanted 30,000 views, check
    HUBU friggin' HUBA :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I wanted 5 Stars Metal Jockey, check

[​IMG]

Thank you
  18. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Awesome Laurie.

[​IMG]

Perelli MT21 front & back on the DRZ. I have them on my KLR as well. Good wear life, great in any conditions, marginal on pavement until they get bald,
    then they are awesome on twisties.

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]
  19. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    After several more beers at the motel and a hot shower, we headed back to the malecon on foot to find something to eat. Tony tried on some hats along the way... :smooch
    [​IMG]

We ended up at the Baja Mar Steak House.
    [​IMG]

Everything looks good!
    [​IMG]

Drinks to start!
    [​IMG]

Everybody enjoying a final night's meal in San Felipe! I see Magoo gets his shameless plug in for NMOHVA's Rubber Chicken Ride! :deal
    [​IMG]

We had a very good waiter this evening who made many outstanding suggestions for drinks and especially appetizers. We tried two or three of his appetizer suggestions and they were awesome!!
    Here's the waiter with Bruce.
    [​IMG]

I had the carne asada dinner with shrimp tacos and it was outstanding! :clap We had also ordered some extra fish and shrimp taco plates to be shared and add to our meals. This was probably the best meal of the entire trip!
    [​IMG]

Not sure what belleringer had here but pretty sure it was swimming just a few hours earlier!
    [​IMG]

After a great dinner and many more drinks, the waiter took our group photo...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and we stumbled back to the motel to end a great evening and an even better trip!

I just wanted to personally thank every member of this group for everything they brought to the team on this ride and for their participation in this ride report. This was an amazing trip and a bucket list check off for many of this group. It was doubly special for me because it was my third trip to Baja but the first one that I was able to actually finish without mishap! :lol3 Special kudos go out to Mr. Big Sprocket for his work in planning this trip, great advice with bike and trip prep for Baja and his insane knowledge of this beautiful area and the willingness to share that with this group! :thumb

Also a shout out and thank you to all that tagged along with us and shared thoughts and comments in this ride report. It was a real blast reliving the memories of this trip through our friends on ADVrider!! Ride safe...ride often! :thumb

:ricky:wings:rayof:ricky

Until Team Magoo/Team Dead End Baja Trip Round Three!! :clap
  20. Big Sprocket

Big Sprocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :superUrsa Sprokitous