Tecate Mexico crossing with picture to explain process

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by WileyRTW, Apr 12, 2019.

1. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I just posted this elsewhere but in case people searching want to know what to do at the Tecate crossing, this amazing photo makes it a piece of cake. Credit goes to "Earth-Roamers" where I found the pic with Google. Tecate is a quick, painless way to get into Mexico, and the drive is so much better than San Ysidro as it takes you through some nice mountainous terrain between San Diego and Tecate, and then into Valle de Guadalupe (wine country) on the Mexico side.

A block or two on you left prior to reaching the entrance at #1 you will see a place selling insurance, which is mandatory in Mexico.

So drive from #1 to the parking spot in Mexico (#2) without stopping unless they want to inspect you. As you go past the metal gate where you are now entering the streets of Mexico, immediately to the right is where I park on the sidewalk behind the gate/wall (#2). Instead of walking back through the metal gate where you might get yelled at, follow the yellow crosswalk to the pedestrian entrance (where tree is in pic) with the turnstyle thing. This will take you by #5, but ignore all that and cross over to the aduana office (#3). Here you will fill out the paper work for the FMM, they will then send you to the banjercito to pay (#4). They will send you back into #3 to get the FMM, and then do the process for the TVIP. Back to #4 to pay for that, and then back to #3 to finalize the paperwork. Once complete, you then exit via the pedestrian walkway near #3 which has an x-ray booth for any bags you carried in and a turnstyle, dropping you back into Mexico and hopefully finding your bike still at your parking spot at #2:rofl

When returning to the US, assuming you have no plan to return to Mexico, you will need to cancel your TVIP to get your money back, and more importantly prove you did not leave the bike behind, so you do not have any issues trying to get back into Mexico at a future time.. The FMM does not need to be canceled, you can just let it expire, jumping back and forth as much as possible before it does!

Note - last time I already had my FMM so only did the TVIP, and it's Mexico, so the steps may be in a slightly different order for you.

Tecate.jpg
    Motorius likes this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    TVIP for Baja? A TVIP is not required for any of Baja or much of Sonora.

Perhaps the bank is needed for the TVIP, but not for a FMM, it can all be done in the Migracion office, no need to go back and forth any longer.
  3. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Many of us don't stop at Baja, we jump over to mainland via the ferry, and while some have success obtaining the TVIP in La Paz, many are not permitted onto the ferry and are told to return to TJ. The Cabo airport is also another option to try, with mixed results. I suspect the ones unsuccessful have limited Spanish since some have gotten their TVIP down there, but Tecate is quick and easy, so why play games? It would be great if they were consistent, as you can then save your 180 days, but you need the FMM so what is the difference the clock starts when you head South either way. Get it all in Tecate, it is quick and painless.

How recently was this, I just went two months ago and had to go to the banjercito for the TVIP, but had gotten my FMM 4 or so months ago so it certainly could have changed. You paid the guy in the office for an FMM?
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet less than 10% of us that enter through Baja cross on the Ferry to the mainland. Consistency in Mexico?? Jajajajajaja!

Last year in Tecate, also last year in San Rio Colorado, paid the lady at the counter in Migracion for the FMM. Like I said, the reason for sending you to the bank was most likely for your TVIP.
  5. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    A lot of people use Alaska/California to Argentina via Baja as a main route. Obviously if YOU do not need a TVIP don't bother with it, but enough people have been told to go back, so if needed, it should be done here ahead of time.

Like I said, I did my FMM as a stand alone 4 months ago, your Tecate crossing sounds like it was a one off regarding not needing a banjercito, all my crossings, and anything I have read elsewhere indicate otherwise. Just further proof that no two crossings are the same for anyone in Mexico!
  6. PDXbuddy1

PDXbuddy1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Super helpful. I’m also wondering:
    Have had much advice from another (FB )forum, then found this site. I am particularly interested in any help with finding a spot for a truck and bike trailer for storing NOV/DEC - preferably near Tecate ( our planned crossing