Tech: Water pump tube alignment

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Louge, May 16, 2006.

1. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    I've replaced O rings twice in 2500 miles. The second time I packed the area between the O rings with waterproof lithium grease. The grease was held under compression and worked for awhile before the familiar drip reappeared.

I was about to replace them again when I noticed the angle on the tube didn't align with the water pump body. All of the O ring's tolerance is consumed due to poor alignment.
  2. Louge

Oddometer:
    The clik clamp at the other end of the tube was released. I was able to raise the tube about .050" before resecuring the attachment.

Notice the wiring junction in the middle of the aluminum V. The tie wrapped junction was applying downward pressure on the water lines. Cutting the tie wrap helped.

I then added the tie wrap shown directly behind the oil tank and raised the line one click at a time.

All three of these things made modest contributions to raise the line.
  3. Louge

Oddometer:
    This is the line after being realigned. The O rings should be comfortably back inside of their respective tolerances now. It didn't leak any overnight.

Heading to Hot Springs over the weekend. We'll see how they do ...
  4. Louge

Oddometer:
    Update:

I've put 1500 miles on since aligning the water pump tube. The O rings have wept slightly a couple of times (compression memory?) but haven't leaked any further.

I'd suggest aligning the water pump tube with any future O ring replacement.
  5. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Operation pending on mine.. didn't even know it was a known issue!
    Do you have a part number for the O ring at hand? possibly the dimensions of it couse i have quite a lot in stock here :)
  6. Louge

Oddometer:
    O-ring: 25.00 X 3.00 NBR 70
    P/N: 0770250030

Two O-rings are required. I consider these consumables and keep spares on hand.