Telegraph Creek

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BlackdogADV, Aug 4, 2019.

1. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple weekends ago I took the ride from Dease Lake to Telegraph Creek. I was expecting to see an old ghost town but all I seen were some cabins and a fairly modern school. I could tell a fire swept through last year, did it destroy the old buildings? I followed my GPS to the town and even went about 5 miles past. Is there anything left of Telegraph Creek?
  2. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there since the fire, but I gather that much of it was burned, yes.
  3. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t recall seeing this church.

FBCA8850-4971-47E0-B367-61B5258A44A8.jpeg
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was planning on going into Telegraph on my journey last year but it was right when it was on Fire and Deese Lake was pandemonium. With reports that roads were being closed I skedaddled up to Boya Lake where there was no smoke. I think they lost a lot
  5. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The photo where the church is sitting is right on the edge of the stikine river. You might have missed the old part if you didn't drop down to the river from the bench above. I have not been down in years, don't know if last years fire killed that part of T creek. Cool place, lots of history.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the road to the historic section on the river is a hard left off the main road, then down the hill. the 2018 fire did not reach the river on the Telegraph Creek side, and the hotel/cafe is open this season. parts of the First Nation community did burn, and a number of homes were lost.
    Holaday and kegonlegs like this.
  7. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode as far as the RCMP Detachment in Telegraph Creek in late June this year but didn't leave the main road due to time constraints. Will definitely spend more time exploring that area and overnight there if we go back.
    Locals said the road has never been better and I took some short footage of the that which you can see here: https://bobinkpen.smugmug.com/Alaska-2019/i-8tjJJdg