Tell me about Tennessee

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by haystack, May 13, 2020.

1. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Haystackwife and I are starting to consider a move. We are looking around at possible relocation destinations. Tennessee is on our short list.

So tell me everything! The good, the bad and the ugly.
  2. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's all good if your are in East Tennessee and ride a bike!
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a big state. East TN is great. You couldn't pay me to live in Memphis.
  4. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    I definitely will be riding. Street, trail, singletrack, and roadtrips. I race an occasional enduro.

Haystackwife has a few horses, so I will need some rural property.
  5. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    I'm not interested in Memphis (or any urban area). I prefer outdoor recreation and open space
    klaviator likes this.
  6. cleanerman

Oddometer:
    What is your time frame?
    haystack likes this.
  7. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    No income tax but 9 1/2% sales tax is common. Middle TN is very nice, but expensive anywhere around Nashville. The central plateau between Nashville and Knoxville has some really nice road riding areas and cost of living/land is pretty good. Don’t know about trail riding in that area. It’s a looooong way from one end of the stat to the other and conditions, costs, and geography vary greatly across the state. Personally, I love Tennessee would move back to middle Tennessee tomorrow if I could convince the kids and grandkids to do the same.
    haystack likes this.
  8. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    next few years

Right now we are trying to work out an escape plan.
  9. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    So you would prefer Tennessee over Kentucky?
  10. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer E TN over Ky, but, western NC and North GA are very nice and IMO better than E TN. Alot of great dualsport riding all along the mtns from VA all the way to their end on North Ga. We live about 30 miles west of Knoxville, which has very heavy traffic, though not as bad as Nashville. There is still alot of space left outside the cities, so you should be able to find a nice place for horses. The Big Southfork Recreation area is really a horse park with alot of nice pasture areas nearby.
    haystack likes this.
  11. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We live in the Chattanooga area. We're less than an hour ride from the GA mountains, 2 hours to the Dragon, 3 to the NC mountains, 2 hours to Nashville. Just across the line in N GA land is cheaper, but they have a state income tax. Traffic in Chattanooga itself is terrible, but if you stay off the interstates the surrounding areas are nice. If I were you I would consider drawing a box from Chattanooga to Knoxville to Asheville, NC to Dawsonville, GA. There is a lot of rural land in that box and it's a beautiful area with a lot of nice small towns.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weather here is great. Some of the best sun sets I have seen. No state income tax but a dividend tax took me by surprise. I like what @Samspade is saying.

Kentucky border has some spots. I like Kingsport a lot too.
    haystack likes this.
  13. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    East TN is full. Thanks for stopping by. :wave
    rdbonds, EGR, mrbreeze and 4 others like this.
  14. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard call to make as I’ve lived in Northern Kentucky since the mid 1980’s and really love a lot about the state. I grew up in Cincinnati through college and early work career and still live within the metro area, just in the Kentucky part of the tri-state area. My wife and I bought a house some years back in Franklin, TN. (Just south of Nashville). When our kids started having kids, we sold it and moved back up here full time. But we travel back to Franklin 3-4 times a year and there is nowhere else that I have enjoyed living more. The year round weather is really nice and the live music scene is outstanding. We love visiting and always look forward to it. Can't say what it would be like to LIVE in other areas of the state, but I do really enjoy riding in eastern and central Tenn. But I can say the same thing about eastern and central Kentucky.
    haystack likes this.
  15. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    East TN is a hot zone for outdoor recreation. Western NC is the same but a bit less crowded. Mountain hub cities of Knoxville and Asheville are right in the good stuff. Chattanooga not quite as close but cheaper to live. I would look at Lexington KY, and the Tri cities area of TN. North GA town Clayton and Dahlonega too. Also, Greeneville SC is to be considered. Look at a town called crossville TN also. It's a cute spot in the plateau and just south of some great riding.
    haystack likes this.
  16. Gil Favor

Gil Favor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Cumberland Plateau at 2000' elevation moderates the summer heat, and the latitude moderates winter extremes. According to the old Scottish proverb "If wishes were horses, beggers could ride"* and I'd be living in Cumberland or Fentress county. Reasonable land prices, low cost of living, low overall taxes, surrounded by great riding describes most of ETN. My personal second choice would be anyplace above 1600 feet in Johnson, Sullivan, Carter counties (Shady Valley is very pretty). The twisty roads that make MC riding great, might make hauling a long horse trailer down steep switchbacks rather challenging if you're not used to them.

*I guess the modern version of the proverb for this forum would be "If wishes were motorcycles, everyone would ride"
    CapitalG5 and haystack like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    North Carolina is great but the taxes are pretty high. I know a lot of people who retired in the N. GA Mtns. One retired in NC then moved back to GA due to Taxes. I am retired in N. Alabama. Love it here but one of the things I love about it is being so close to all the great riding in TN, GA and NC.

If you want someplace with great employment opportunities then the Huntsville, Al area is growing as fast or faster than anywhere in the country. I doubt that the pandemic will slow things down much if at all. If you are looking for a retirement home then TN will be hard to beat but I would also look at N. GA.
    AST236, spokester and haystack like this.
  18. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    I will still do some kinda work. Semi retired. Maybe some travel. Looking for low cost of living and some farm property up in the hills.
  19. cleanerman

Oddometer:
  20. clogan

clogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more. We lived in Chattanooga for 34 years; absolutely loved it! Moved to Murfreesboro 2 years ago (grandbaby is here). I don't know how they get people to live here. Miserable place for my tastes. Flat as a pancake. It's 40 miles to the nearest hill, LOL! I'd be outta here tomorrow except for the grandbaby. I'm 70 next year, so I guess I'm here for the duration now.

But anywhere east of the Cumberland Plateau is nice. The further east, the better: more mountains.
    haystack likes this.