Tell me about Tennessee

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by haystack, May 13, 2020.

1. Kayaks_N_Hops

Kayaks_N_Hops n00b

Oddometer:
    I have lived all over the southeast. I have lived in SC, KY, GA, AL, FL, and now permanently in east TN. I have always considered SC as home having lived there in the Greenville area for over 12 years, but the taxes are SO much better up here! As well as the weather. I am outside of Johnson City, heading west towards Greeneville. I have 6 acres that back up to the National Forest. Taxes are ridiculously cheap! Auto and MC insurance is dirt cheap as well. I do a bit of everything outside. I hike, whitewater kayak, ride motorcycles, have a small farm, and do a bit of extended canoe camping. The only down-side that I find a bit disturbing, is the surprise racism. You know when you are getting to know someone at work and they slip in a stereotype (lack of)humor or the rascist joke. They all think I am a crazy hippie anyways!! LoL I say, take trip out here and do some exploring!
    eddie bolted, haystack and klaviator like this.
  2. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
  3. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    I was born about 50 miles East of Memphis in Somerville, Tn. Still have most of the family still in the area! There’s very little riding (legally) without joining a club or pay to play! But we are used to that here in the Northeast!

I got 156 acres there that’s old family land! Mom’s got her 76. Upon retirement the plan is to buy out my cousins property next to mine! (I been paying his taxes the last 10+yrs! Just So he don’t lose it).
    Totals is just under 600 acres total!

The plan is to put in a campground Then build a woods /Mx track around the property! Hopefully the other family members all join in and give or sell me access to their portion of the Common wooded area! In total granddad had 3267acres in all one parcel when he died in 74. Between Kids and Grandkids it was all split up. All but one uncle still have their land!

I don’t care for that area of TN! This will just be phase II of life
    DirtMerchant and haystack like this.
  4. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
    I told the wife I wanted to retire in TN. East around Johnson city. I need bass fishing, shooting, of course motorcycling but that's easy, not too far from an interstate.

She says I have to wait until some assorted family members die off:(:...:evil
    haystack likes this.
  5. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head north up 231 on that super duke. 25 to 141 then go into Red boiling springs look to go east. 96 is another of my favorite roads out east of us.

I am in Lebanon, not to fond of it, close to family. I will head east when given the chance.
    motocopter, haystack and patmo like this.
  6. Dave Edwards

Dave Edwards Carminian

Oddometer:
    We just moved to Cookeville, Tn. Seems to be a great place to ride, as most any direction from here is all good. Good size hospital complex, university, and small town feel all in one.
  7. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just moved there in Feb. Great back roads! The only thing I miss is living 5 miles from a national forest. Cookeville dosen't have much in the way of dirt roads nearby.

I'm considering putting 705's on my xr250 since i'm riding 99% pavement these days.
    haystack likes this.
  8. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    haystack likes this.
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you gone to Windrock or brimstone?
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have lived in Middle Tennesse for many years, about an hour south of Nashville. I love it here. There is lots of great riding, despite the fact that we are not in the mountains. Speaking of which, I can be in Tellico Plains in just a few hours, and never touch the interstate. I just got back from a week in a vrbo near Bristol. I was very impressed with that area, and I would love to go back.

West Tennessee has it's own unique beauty. My family is from Gibson County, so I have some appreciation of the area. There are some good roads in W TN, but you have to know where to look. It's better for cruisers than for crotch rockets.
    klaviator and haystack like this.
  11. RidingforRebelGears

RidingforRebelGears Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ex250mike
    You should hit us up sometime to ride in the Crossville area. My son and I try to ride on most weekends. We can show you some dirt up on the plateau. We used to ride our XR's down in your area around 15-20 years ago between 111 and 85. Here is some stuff from last week. You too greasyfatman.

greasyfatman and haystack like this.
  12. thp865

thp865 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TN is a horrible place to live. Tell everyone you know.
    EGR, klaviator, Tallbastid and 6 others like this.
  13. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    I am looking at my schedule:D

Is this an open invitation?
    Understood.
    [​IMG]
  14. RidingforRebelGears

Oddometer:
    Haystack
    Yes we could show you around from mild to wild. We just ride a couple old stock CRF250L's and go wherever they can. 20200603_125504.png
  15. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you ever make it to windrock? We went last Saturday, that place is big.
  16. RidingforRebelGears

Oddometer:
    Greasyfatman,
    No I've never been there on the dirt but we have been around the "triangle" many times. We have been talking about going with a new riding buddy who kinda knows the area. Said he gets lost a lot. We have lots of good ground around us that we are still exploring. You should plan a ride with Brad and I, we would enjoy showing you around our neck of the woods.
    From Scratch and drm like this.
  17. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live a stones throw from greasyfayman. Been in TN all my life and will probably stay till the boys are grown.

RebelGears, ive ridden your area years ago while in school at Tech. Gonna send you a pm to see if you can jog my memory.

Id like to join in on some riding in your area...
    oldskool63 and peejman like this.
  18. RidingforRebelGears

Oddometer:
    You are welcome to join along in our rides, we've been showing a new friend around lately. They're doing some logging up here now so it has cut into alot of good area.
  19. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'll be oppressively hot in the valley for the next 3 months..I never did get used to that...
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's good conditioning in preparation of adventures in the southwest! :lol3