Tell me about vinyl siding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rufus, Aug 3, 2019.

1. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    1 car size Garage / storage shed. 20 years old, 5/8 T 111 with wood rot,.I cut off the bottom and patched it with cement board. Now I plan to cover it all with new siding.

I considered Hardi siding. I don't like leaving gaps as they recommend.

I may put thinner wood back. Now I'm thinking about vinyl, never used it and don't know anything about it.

Looking for advice and info.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long do you want it to last? If you are selling your house within 10 years, vinyl is fine, cheap and easy to install. If you are looking for significantly longer, Hardi siding is hard to beat. My house is 9 years old and the Hardi siding looks like new. Vinyl will eventually fade and crack, and in high heat/sun areas it can also warp a lot.
  3. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Vinyl siding, when installed correctly, requires small gaps between the nail head and the structure. This allows the vinyl to move (i.e., mild expansion and contraction) with the prevailing temperatures.
    severely and shinyribs like this.
  4. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Sold vinyl for las 15 years..some so good they are putting putting it on expensive homes .. so depending on multiple styles sizes , colors we can get anywhere from $375 to $700 a square Installed... go on the the Certainteed site and look at their gallery .. one option is to upload a picture of your house and then side it with their product .. also remember that a siding job includes soffits , facia, gable ends that someone has to bend aluminum on a brake..
    Www.certainteed.com
  5. rufus

Oddometer:

It is not my house,....it is a 14 X 22 storage shed/garage behind my house. This is more than I want /need. I am just putting siding over siding because the bottom 6 inches was rotten.
  6. rufus

Oddometer:

I don't want those problems. Most likely going with hardi plank. It seems like the best option for me. The Hardi sheets require doubled up studs at the joints. More work that I don't want to do.
  7. rufus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys!!
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    How far up did the rot go? 6 inches? T-111 is good stuff. If the rest is in good shape, I'd consider putting a pressure treated skirt board around the perimeter covering the rot if not up too high. Let it season and paint or stain the structure. Personally I dislike Hardie and vinyl from a contractor's perspective.
  9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Long timer

Oddometer:
    A wainscoting of metal covering 3 or 4 feet then paint the T1-11 a complentalry color.
  10. jimroid

jimroid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had all the exterior materials mentioned above. In your situation I think a Hardi board replacement for the bad stuff is the way to go.
  11. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    I understand was just trying to give an overview
  12. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    make sure at least 2-3 inches from ground or flat surface as per installation instructions

AND Paint any Raw or cut edges... sherwin Williams makes matching paint stored in their computer and then you will have some if it gets a ding.. We usually use Azek PVC at the corners..and caulk where they Butt
  13. rufus

Oddometer:

The butt joints are my main worry with hardi. Caulk has a 100% failure rate. Sooner or later it will fail.
    Do you use flashing behind the corner boards? I am considering wrapping the corners with heavy tar paper.
  14. rufus

Oddometer:

I built this shed about 20 years ago with 5/8 T111. Rot was only up 4 to 6 inches on about 1/2 of it. I cut out the rot and put in 5/8 permbase (cement board). I coated the bottom foot all the way around with hydroguard waterproofing. I don't want a lip or patch. I am going to cover it completely with Hardi or another layer of T111......There is also a few spots where the outer layer of siding is coming apart and
    delaminating. Small spots, not too bad. But I want to cover it all.

The easiest thing would be another layer of T111........... But I like the looks of Hardi plank. More work though.
    Amphib likes this.
  15. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hardi plank is fine PROVIDED you keep it painted, it'll last a year or so with water getting to it but not much more. If you can't keep that surface protection on it then don't bother.
  16. kokemill

kokemill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I built my own house 20 years ago and used vinyl siding and aluminum soffits. I didn't need to use a brake, the minor bending on some corners was accomplished with some special pliers. The house still looks like the siding is new. Our color selection may have helped, white and gray, no fading so far. The only damage is a tiny hole in one piece from a BB gun, which my wife is ok with since the kids didn't shoot their eye out. I think of vinyl siding as thick paint.
  17. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    Tyvek length of corner AZEK corner 6” tyvek 24 so you get full coverage
    Then tyvek or other wrap lenthof sides starting from bottom and overlaping each row approx 4”
    Where hardi seems meet the sell a 3” x 8” little flashing DO not call that seam
    Pain (sherwin williams ) matching paint any cuts or raw edges
    When total side done use OSI lifetime oil based caulk where hardi meets AZEK corner
    OR they sell the Solid pvc corners with built in J Channel
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You paint it before you install it.
  19. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    They make joint covers.

I paint the back side of the lower few courses before I install hardi plank

I paint the ends with foam brush when I cut one.

yes, the joints should be flashed.

I have used joint covers, way better than open joint

Look so much nicer.

Rod
    Cal likes this.
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I've remodeled three houses and all were done with Certainteed brand vinyl siding. All of them between 15-20 years ago. They all look as good as the day we hung it. Like Tallman said, hung properly it won't warp.

Some old school guys seemingly can't accept vinyl siding, but it's good stuff IMO.