Tell me all about the MZ 1000-series bikes

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sir Not Appearing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    From what I can find on the interwebs, the MZ 1000S was imported into the US but I'm unsure of the naked SF or the ST touring version. Has anyone ever owned or ridden one? What was it like? How was the fit and finish?

My guess is they are quite rare in the US. I've seen a couple on Ebay and one was probably a steal as I remember it selling for about $5000 and it was virtually new. The few reports I've read were favorable, but with MZ closing its doors and then being bought out with Chinese money on top of very few being imported in the first place would scare me about parts availability.

Here are a few pictures:

1000SF

[​IMG]

1000S

[​IMG]

1000ST

[​IMG]
    Chillis and rauchman like this.
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode an S while they were being imported -- fun bike, but not as much fun as the price would have indicated --

at this point, unless I could pick up a bike and a rolling parts department for little lucre, I'd give it a miss -- it simply wasn't that great a bike.

Disregard all this tripe if your the kinda fella that just HAS to ride something no one else has ever seen -- you know, one of those Royal ENfield or Ural early-adoptors -- if that's the case, buy the bike now -- you'll be thrilled!
  3. Sir Not Appearing

Oddometer:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cnsparks%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Actually, that is why I was looking :shog I’ve actually been looking at Enfields, but I have this odd curiosity with Russian and eastern-bloc machinery and while MZ Skorpions are fairly plentiful and parts are somewhat common, the 1000S intrigued me and looks very modern even though it debuted in ’02. I’ve seen a couple very nice examples go for around $5k-$6k, but I don’t know if I would want to spend that kind of money on a bike that parts would be tough to find.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I also wanted a Rotax-powered Laverda when I bought my Triumph for the same reason. They were rare as hen’s teeth at least in central-Indiana but the shop that sold them closed a few months before I was bike shopping. So I bought the Triumph which was rare when I bought it because most of our dealers closed and to this day I’ve only ever seen 2 other T595/955i models on the road. At least I can still get parts for the Daytona :dunno

<o:p></o:p>
  4. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize those were ever imported to the US? Don't they have the Honda VTR Super Hawk motor?
  5. Sir Not Appearing

Oddometer:
    No, its a big-ass parallel twin of MZ's own design. I read where it was their first in-house 4-stroke.
  6. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    The MZ dealer here in Houston was MPH Cycles. Mike there can answer any questions you may have. He sold his last one back to MZ. http://www.mphcycles.com/
    It was a way cool bike. But a flash in the pan.
    rauchman likes this.
  7. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sir -- I have a tube framed Buell and a Triumph in the motorpool -- I understand your affliction ;-} I just have a lesser case, is all
  8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I think you are going to be miserable buying a bike with no dealership support here in the U.S. Just go beat yourself across the face with a stick, it is much cheaper. :lol3
  9. Rich Dubbya

Rich Dubbya Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer:
    They're great bikes . I know of a place in NYS who I think still has a new 06 on the floor . Just can't sell them . Might just be that there are no parts for them .....:lol3

MuZ did a shnazzy job on they're dealers after they went under .

If you want an MuZ get a Skorpion . At least you can fix the Yammie 5 valver .
  10. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

I'll third that! All of the MZ parallel twins I've seen have been massive piles of oil leaking , plug fouling, gasket blowing hunks of shit.

Get one with a Yamaha engine, if you must dare to be different. Or, just go beat yourself across the face with a stick. :lol3
  11. Sir Not Appearing

Oddometer:
    LOL....Now there is a no-holds-barred review. Maybe the Skorpion is a better idea or I should forget the Russian/Eastern-bloc idea and go back to looking at Enfields. Or maybe a Rotax-powered Laverda. Those are probably hell finding parts for too......
  12. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Just how many have you seen ???

Extremely reliable motor with plenty of power.

There were between 30 and 50 MZ 1000 S models imported into the USA.

I own the only MZ1000 SF in the US and also have the duel-sport 660 Baggy both bikes are loads of fun.
    The motor was developed by MZ and a bike mag.broke one down with 50,000 miles and everything measured as new.Burns oil ? I think not...

Chillis likes this.
  13. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
    I always liked the ST.

Why not call Mike and get the real story concerning reliability and service. He's a straight shooter.

German Ebay seems to have parts.

Most of what you read here is just opinion.

M
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Galen Miller of Bikeworx in Maynard, MA tried racing one in Moto-ST a couple years ago. I don't think it finished a race, but you could call him and ask. I saw it and my lasting impression is of that tube frame with the sheet metal gussets welded on...
  15. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    I follow Italian bikes pretty closely and this is the first time I've ever heard of a production (sold to the public) Laverda with a Rotax engine. The only Laverda so equipped that I know of was the ill-conceived SFC show bike trotted out a few years ago. That bike was a thinly disguised Aprilia and was roundly booed by the Laverda faithful, so never built. Sure you're not thinking of the Laverda 650/668/750 series bikes that were based on an old 500cc proprietary design from the '70s?

'77 500 Alpino
    [​IMG]

'99 750S
    [​IMG]

'04 SFC prototype
    [​IMG]
    Chillis likes this.
  16. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd rather go to the MZ forum and get an opinion than any salesman myself. You know people that own and ride them.The ST never made it to the US.That's how I try and evaluate a bike.They didn't sell because they went for around $12,000

http://www.mzriders.com/index.php?sid=3bf1835b446d53c3917eeeda2404ac41

There are a few MZ forums the largest in Germany and you can use Google translate to understand.

I don't need to as I've put thousands of miles on my Super fighter without issue.
    If you can't change the oil and air filter then no the bike is not for you and as they are pretty rare you don't see them but a couple a year.
  17. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a Skorpion, bought used and wrecked. I put it back together as a naked and made risers to mount superbike bars.
    It worked really well, I did a 400 mile day on it through Tennesse and North Carolina including Charohala Skyway and Deals gap.
    I sold it after putting 10,000 trouble free miles on ,and got all my money back. This past year while leaving Vintage Days I saw another.They had been trying to sell it for less than the one I sold . I himmed and hawwed, then bought it for a grand.
    Plenty of people don't know squat about MZ, history or other wise.So there is a exotic angle, and you don't have to tell them it's a Yamaha motor. Let em' stew.
    The big twin is a totally different animal. I have seen a couple ,but never even seen one run.As far as I know it's not going to be produced anymore so good luck with parts or support.
    Do you have a pic of a Rotax powered Laverda?
  18. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think most of the major US mags reviewed the 1000 when it first came to the states. Reviews were mostly positive, but none too earth shattering from my memory.
  19. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1000 cc parallel twin at 113 /117 hp never said it was the new Aprilia RSV4 at what 186 hp.

It is what it is.Here's the off road version. [​IMG] small you can see a larger version here.

[​IMG]

20. MikJogg

MikJogg Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :tb sweeet,but never build.

Prototype on the intermot 2006

Attached Files: