Tell me all about the MZ 1000-series bikes

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sir Not Appearing, Aug 19, 2009.

1. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really,my younger brother who was a great carpenter said when asked by people "can you do this? " He would always say sure how much do you want to spend ? Just Google MZ 1050

[​IMG]
    Twinguy likes this.
  2. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. I've always thought those had Rotax powerplants in them. I have no idea what put that in my head :shrug

Either way, I'd love to have one.
  3. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    I would too, but they have a reputation for grenading at low miles. Maybe they should have used a Rotax! :D
  4. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's me! Picked this up from a fellow inmate a few weeks back....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool bikes but a bitch to find parts. I almost bought one when they were blowing them out in 2008 or 2009 when MZ abruptly shut their doors. Dont quote me on the year but I do remember the time.
    Guys loved them but there was only one or two places online to get parts and that was it. The plastics are unobtainium. Despite that it's a rare bird to appreciate. I know I would still love one.
  7. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always fancied these. More than enough performance to entertain on the streets, and it's something nobody else has. Variety is the spice of life, yo!
  8. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about parts or dealerships. If you lust after it, buy it and ride it. I have had Buells (after the demise) and scores of British bikes (also after the demise) as well as a constant diet of Moto Guzzi and Ducati. Can I get a part at the corner chopper shop? No. Can I order from BikeBandit or the superstore? No again. I can use the owners clubs, eBay, and creative scrounging to get anything.

I mean if people can still get parts for model T fords and even rarer Cords and such, you can keep a MZ running for as long as you wish. I hear all the doom and gloom about Moto Guzzi, limited dealers and bad dealers, and horrible parts support etc, etc, etc... I can get any part for any Guzzi ever produced, it's just a matter of time and money.

Get the MZ, be bold, be your own man and stop in at the Honda dealer on weekends to answer questions and buy chain lube.
    motorhead748 likes this.
  9. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur with vecchio's thoughts.

Parts are available for the MZ as much of the bike is component stuff that many bikes share. Electronics are Aprilia compatible. Body parts are the hardest as they are unique to no other bike BUT they are not impossible to find. Out of the supposed 29 of these imported to the US five of them are within 15 miles of my house, and the guy that has the other four knows the bikes inside and out as well as where to source anything they may need.

I wouldn't know what to do with a bike where I could get parts at a dealer, half the fun is the challenge!
    vecchio Lupo and frugal like this.
  10. foolonawheel

foolonawheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1000S that I could make you a good deal on. Has HMF carbon fiber slipons, BMC air filter and a Techlusion FI tuner. On our dyno it makes slightly better HP than most Ducati 996 (seemed like a good bike with which to compare it). Has 3000 miles on it and is still on the MSO. Make me a low ball offer. I have way too bikes at my house and I've got to thin out the collection a bit.

Parts are available from Grahams ; http://www.grahamsmotorcycles.com/2010 WEB SITE/MZ_SPARES_MENU.htm .
    spokester likes this.
  11. joe cool

joe cool Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PB180001.JPG I scored this a couple months ago. A very fun bike to ride I must admit.
    Scoozi likes this.
  12. joe cool

Oddometer:
    A little update: Twin twins of the parallel kind. Guess I'm hooked. P7160006.JPG P7160004.JPG
    Scoozi, bobw, jimroid and 2 others like this.
  13. joe cool

Oddometer:
    Anyone else own one ?
    bobw likes this.
  14. JBT

JBT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do.
    That summer, a friend of mine who was moving cleard its garage and gave me a MZ 1000SF with a broken engine. 80000km, failure of the starter freewheel that broke the engine case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found a engine from a bike wreck shop with just 7000km on the odo.
    I spent these last locked-in weeks to fix it, and started it for the first time yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    No road test yet, I can't tell much about it...
    Chillis, slipknot, ManxTT and 4 others like this.
  15. joe cool

Oddometer:
    Very nice JBT. Sounds like a solid runner. Please report back after you road test your MZ.
  16. JBT

JBT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I managed to run a hundred kilometers before winter...and before I sold this MZ.
    Not much, but enough to appreciate it and to undestand that it's not made for me.
    The engine is brilliant. Lot of torque, great push in the pack when revving, it reminded me Ducati or KTM twins, but its also smooth a low revs.
    Handling is OK also, much easier in corners than my Ducati 900 Monster who ask to force to lean, it's natural on the MZ.
    Excellent braking, and a very good confort, about suspensions and position. Strangely, I had the feeling of riding a trail bike: with a high seat, large bars, and a fork rake pretty open. I feeled that the center of gravity was much more rear than most of roadster bikes.
    So why didn't I keep it?
    I can't be reasonable with a bike. As I still will to live, I auto limit my rides to "slow " bikes, I prefer riding fast with a slow bike than riding slow with fast bikes.
    I can't be reasonable with bikes. 20 running, insured and road legal in the garage, it's enough.
    A friend of a friend, fond of the MZ brand, heard about mine and offered me a decent price.

Good to know: I stripped down the whole old engine by curiosity. A part the free wheel defect, it was in remarkable condition, with no signs of wear for 80 000 kms, and I was impressed by the quality of the design and the making of this mechanic. For potential buyers, you can absolutely trust the engine - but check the freewheel!
    joe cool likes this.
  17. joe cool

Oddometer:
    JBT, Thanks for reporting back. Sorry to hear that you sold it.
  18. joe cool

Oddometer:
    I've got a 1000s for sale in FM. PA130007.JPG
  19. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were an MZ dealer. A great bike.............with serious issues. Buy a 1st generation Tuono.
  20. joe cool

Oddometer:
    Such as ? From what I've read most are very dependable. I've had one for almost 5 years and only problem I've had was losing a coil once.