Tell me where this plan sucks! Route plan, modified 'Grand Loop' (Credit Proettermann).

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Donttrustdolphins, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Donttrustdolphins

Donttrustdolphins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    I am heading out with a few dudes to ride a 3-day loop including most of the Rimrocker, Kokopelli, and Tabeguache trails (including La Sal Pass if snow has melted) in early June. Hoping any of you learned folks could take a gander at my route and tell me if I am missing anything important. I will return to this thread after the trip to upload the actual GPS tracks and pics. We live in western CO but haven't ridden any of these trails. We'll be on DRZ's, with the possibility of a jabroni in a truck coming and going.
    I am definitely interested in any sweet campsites (remote or at campgrounds) as well as course changes!

I have included detours from the main route in the event that the jabroni in the pickup truck ends up joining for a day or two. I am trying to capture areas of the route that a truck can't access in order to plan detours, so if you see any that I've missed please let me know.

Cheers, and thanks for any advice.

Credit to Proettermann, this route is mostly based on a route that he created and posted in this thread

Route:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EEXCVPoAk_ldsnnlpI4_lVfCFlX5k8x0
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something failed on my end opening your route, but I'll chime in a bit. I did the Rimrocker solo in November of 17. I camped at the ballpark campground along 141 near Uravan and rode out from there.
    Divide Road might not be open all the way. I've turned around in June up there already due to snow.
    A good primitive camp sight is along the river road between Bedrock and Uravan. A bit out of your way, but worth the effort. Look for a pullout along the river side that has remains of the hanging flume on the cliff across the river. Good river camp site below the road on the river side.
    Usually John Brown Canyon Road will be open by then.
    Donttrustdolphins likes this.
  3. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have had 200% of average snowfall this year, La Sal pass my be closed into July. We have a ranch in the Uncompahgre and it had 200” of snow, melted off now but our longtime neighbors are estimating the road to Montrose won’t be open until July either. I’ll follow the thread and update you on any change.
    The route is excellent, the higher you stay the more desert heat you’ll avoid.
  4. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Your orange section north from Buckeye to John Brown is the shady side of the LaSalles....and will likely still be buried in snow... But Buckeye Res is a great camping area, and truck accessible if you choose the right road.

Also, don't miss Onion Creek from the top down, it's just cool!
  5. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    Awesome, great info thanks. I have been getting turned around 1/2 mile up all my favorite trails because of the outrageous amount of snow this year so you're right, I bet it's going to be a factor.
  6. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    Dang that is crazy, we are still completely hemmed in by snow in CO as well. Thanks for the info, looks like we'll just stay low on Rimrocker, and keep up on snw conditions.
  7. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks. I am psyched for Onion Creek, looks super fun.
  8. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    We tend to do this at the end of August, as the passes are clear of snow, but this makes things plenty hot in the desert of course. We start riding before sunrise, and get the bulk out of the way before noon. The smart time of year would be October. Often work/school requirements do not allow for that, so August it is for my group haha...

Onion Creek is largely parellel to the route that takes you up/down Rosegarden Hill. Onion Creek is very easygoing and scenic at that, but unless you ride in a large circle, you will have to pick one or the other. Also: on a loaded DRZ Rosegarden Hill will be much easier downhill...
  9. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
  10. Donttrustdolphins

Oddometer:

Thanks for the awesome route!
    Proettermann likes this.