Tell me why I shouldn't buy this DR650...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mr.jadkowski, Dec 12, 2018.

1. mr.jadkowski

mr.jadkowski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started with a DRZ400E, but it made my hands go numb on the highway from all the vibration. I sold that and bought a V-strom 650, which is great on the highway but it's a real handful (for me) in rough dirt. It seems like I'm bracketing a big bore thumper as my ideal bike. A mostly stock 2003 DR650 with 12,800 miles came up for sale locally for $2500. I checked it out today, and for the age it looks to be in great shape. It starts easily and runs great, the brakes and suspension all feel good (although it'll be due for some new brake pads soon), and other than a little surface corrosion here and there it appears to be in great cosmetic and structural condition. It seems like a good deal to me; am I wrong?

Also, is the DR650 the wrong bike for me? I'm looking for something that's most comfortable on dirt road or double track, with some mud and chunky rock thrown in here and there, but I also need something that won't wear me out after an hour of highway riding. I'm not a hardcore offroad rider who is going to be riding fast in rough dirt, but I want something that's considerably lighter than my V-strom (I bet mine is pushing 500 lbs) and more nimble for poking through rough sections. If the big DR isn't the right bike for me, what is?
  2. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the DR is the perfect bike for you. It's a solid machine and it looks like it will be the last of the big Japanese thumpers left. I like the XR650L more personally but I could care less about pavement. Different strokes, different folks.
    Fredthemexican and PlowHand like this.
  3. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy who recently sold his KTM 950 ADV Bike and GasGas 450 Dual Sport for a 1999 DR650. He just bought the '99 with 1300 miles for $2500.00 smackers. He wants to go back to a one bike quiver. Out of all the bikes he has owned (60 plus motorcycles, including a previous DR650) he looks to the 650 as the most venerable do it all bike he has owned. Nice on the road and nice in the dirt. It is the one bike that does it all for him, so I'm sure he would say you can't go wrong.

Of course the title of your thread is "Tell me why I shouldn't buy it". Because it's a dinosaur that does a few things good, but nothing great. I think I saw one on a rerun of CHIPS the other night.
    Bucho likes this.
  4. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    highway for an hour would be terrible imo
    vector6 likes this.
  5. everready

everready Retired!!!

Oddometer:
    Didn't some year models have a problem with blowing the head gasket? Wasn't the gasket material changed to metal around 2007 ish............?
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet 629.2275 Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you go with the DR and want to use it at highway speed, I suggest sticking with the stock 15/42 gearing, or bumping up to 16/42. Mine came with a 14T front and I have not regretted switching back to 15T, even off road. I also like my Parabellum Rally screen, though at 6' tall I might like something just a smidge higher better.

Driving range is an issue. The stock 3.4 gallon tank is good for about 140 miles, which means I'm filling up about every 100. Many have added a larger tank but 6+lbs/gallon for fuel plus an aesthetic attachment to my current tank has me sticking with stock for now.

The lean carb calls for some attention too. Most seem to go with the Procycle Breath Easy Kit (or the TM40 carb - $$$). I put the James Dean Jetting Kit in mine and spent the rest of the riding season messing with it. The bike handles MUCH better but now I am tuning for efficiency and I have a learning curve in all things mechanical.

The guys over on the DR Thread might also suggest a suspension upgrade, but I have not felt lacking enough in that department to justify the outlay of cash.

The DR is a versatile pick. It's a blank canvas that can be easily farkled to suit your needs. So the reason not to but it could be because once you do you probably won't stop messing with it.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not usually fun for the rider, but the bike doesn't mind at all.
    No head gasket issues. The base gasket is the one you're thinking of. It was paper and was switched to metal sometime in the '03 models. It's easy to tell if it's metal because there's a tab on the front right of the engine that's an extension of the base gasket.
    everready likes this.
  8. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    For my area the price seems high, check NADA and see what they say in your location but for my area NADA has avg retail at $1500... that's dealer retail... I don't know of any really good source for actual consumer retail prices.

For your stated uses, DR sounds like it should be at least close. In the end only you can decide if it's right, if it were me I'd probably offer $1000-$1200... no big loss if you end up turning around and selling it ;-)
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a DR for a while. Mine was an ‘06. I can’t really find anything bad to say, other than I found it kinda blah, and it always had an identity crisis in my garage. It wasn’t a street bike. I had a DL650 that sat next to it. And it wasn’t a dirtbike. I had several of those that sat on the other side of it.

[​IMG]

I rode it around Lake Superior just for fun. It did ok. I never minded it on pavement at any speed. And I tried to ride it like a dirtbike on logging roads and 2-track. I learned that too much of doing that and I was going to end up on my head. After a while it kinda became expendable. So I sold it to an Inmate in NY.

[​IMG]

It never standed me, didn’t require much maintenance, and it always started, although that little starter would make you think otherwise. I determined that its best asset was probably being a great ‘only’ bike. Meaning if you could only have one bike that it would probably be a good one to have.
    wee-twin, Mow-ree, Plebeian and 2 others like this.
  10. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its like Toyota Corolla in bike scene.
  11. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just don't get this sort of thing... not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, you definitely are... and, not saying your wrong. Your statement is purely subjective, so it really can't be.

But, here's the thing. We're talking about motorcycles, right? And, not only that, we're talking "thumpers" around here. Two wheels, no doors, and a single cylinder thumpin' along. Why are these bikes not considered highway worthy by so many? Too much wind? Too much noise? Too much vibration? It's a single-cylinder motorcycle... wind, noise and thumping is kind of the point...

You can spend big bucks on a big bike that tries desperately to give you a car-like experience. But riding one for an hour sounds boring in my opinion. I mean, what's the point? Just get a convertible or something.
    wee-twin likes this.
  12. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    NADA says the same thing for me, but KBB is more around the $3,000 mark. The local Craigslist and FB marketplace listings seem to be more around $3000-$3500 for other mid-2000 DR650s. That seems like a pretty big premium to pay for ~5000 less miles and (possibly) a metal bottom case gasket instead of a paper one. I should mention that the top of my budget is around $3000 before I go shopping for doodads (big tank, rack, ect.).
  13. mr.jadkowski

Oddometer:
    That is precisely the situation I'm in. I don't have a garage to store a bunch of bikes in, and I have too many hobbies to keep a fleet of the maintained. I need something that is going to be content to sit outside under a cover for a month, and then fire right up to take me 50 miles down the interstate to get to the good riding, and then spend the day cruising forest roads comfortably. It sounds like this is the bike for me.
    wee-twin and Bultaco206 like this.
  14. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    dr sounds like the closest match to your wants. almost makes to much sense to get one.
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, its pretty subjective. Ive become very spoiled with my van. I hauled my DR650 45 mins on the highway to ride at a state forest. The bike is totally capable of doing highway. Once, I rode it from Nasville TN home to Maryland in a long day on the highway. I just dont really want to anymore...
    Plebeian likes this.
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    To the OP, the DR650 sounds like it could be a good bike for you.

A few minor farkles can really help. A more comfortable seat for that hour on the highway. I like a 14 tooth front sprocket (to me is a good compromise). Better DOT knobbies...
    PlowHand likes this.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Do the suspension and don't look back.

Adanac rider likes this.
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a great only bike. That's how I'm set up too. I have a garage, I just don't have time for multiple bikes. The only thing that concerns me is the just letting it sit for a month between uses. It's a carbureted bike and that's asking for carb problems. I'm not saying you will have problems, must that it's a higher risk on that rising schedule. There's an easy solution though: ride it more! Trust me, you'll want too!
  19. 6Strings

6Strings n00b

Oddometer:
    In case you’re looking for a newer DR650... I bought a 2014 DR650SE. A Touratech friend of mine stripped it down to the frame and got it fully setup - including Zega Pro top case, panniers, crash bars, bash plate, accessory lights, custom seat, bigger tank, enduro pegs, folding mirrors, windshield, and more - for a round-the-world trip. I rodw the bike from Seattle to Boston, then up to Alaska. A friend took it round trip from Kentucky to Alaska. The bike’s got 34k miles on it now. The current owner is selling it for $3400 in Kentucky. New tires and Ortlieb bags included. Will PM his contact info if you’d like.
  20. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    do it. you won't lose much money on it if any. they did have some 3rd gear blowups & leaking countershaft seals... those things are documented on many forums, including this one. don't think it was a huge problem. IMS makes a big fuel tank. the seat is not very comfortable, but thats true of a lot of bikes & there are fixes. the other contenders are the KLR & XR. a kitted out DR should do everything you want