Tell us about your Mikuni TM-40

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Jan 12, 2005.

1. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    i've been doing some reading over the past month or so (time permitting) and have found the TM-40 to sound promising but there seems very little actual feedback on it and particularly in a single location for searching...............so lets hear what you have to say about the "other" Mikuni?!!?

TIA!!!
  2. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

I had one on my 2001 KTM 640. It was a hoot. Fitment is a littel finicky, and power delivery is made a little peakier. But, definitely cranks up the juice.

My 640 would wheelie over crests in the road at 90kph with the TM40 on...but...the compromise is that it was also harder to manage tracktion with that power delivery.

See and installation guide at www.motorally.ca follow the menu to one the web and links.

Cheers!
  3. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    i'd looked at your guide but it doesn't have feedback like you just provided. excellent info, now lets hear from others................did you have the same experience as Flanny?
  4. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the stock Kehin on my XR600 w/ a TM40 (non pumper). It took some fiddling to setup, but it sure made starting easier. I think it freed up some top end power too. This according to my uncalibrated butt dyno. I mostly made the switch becuase the keihin slide would stick off idle making low rpm throttle control impossible.
  5. stoo

stoo n00b

Oddometer:
    Did the same on my XR650R 'tard. (though my TM40 is a pumper - is there a non pump version as well?)

Can't really say much about extra power, cos I changed the exhaust and did some fairly severe airbox mods at the same time as the carb swap. :evil

The big difference I noticed was how much smoother it brings in the power when rolling on from a closed throttle.

Also, the old Keihin used to be an absolute nightmare to restart the bike after a crash. Now it's ..... slightly less of a nightmare. :D Naah - it's much improved. Still need to clear the carb out with a fair few kicks with the throttle wide open, and the decomp lever in - but it'll start once you've done that once or twice. With the old carb I've been sat there kicking away for 5 minutes solid and the thing still wouldn't go!

It does look and feel cheaply made compared to the TMRs and the FCRs though. But then it WAS less than half the price. :thumb