Tellico Adventure Trail & March Moto Madness

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Cannonshot, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Got a group together to run down to Tennessee to get some riding in after a long northern winter. Put on about 750 miles while we were down there. We opted to ride the Tellico Adventure Trail while we were there so I'll share a few pix and some video so others can see what it is like.

We arrived on Wednesday morning on the day before March Motor Madness began.

It was in the 70s that day. A welcome relief from the weather back in Wisconsin and northern Illinois. I should add for those thinking about the Tellico Adventure Trail that many of the USFS roads did not open until that very day so if you are heading down there in March it is best to check on the status of things.

The first day was spent riding the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon. We were on small/medium dual sports, but some of the guys brought supermoto wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doctor Zed discarded the name "Cherohala" in favor of "Chernobyl". After a few days of cold, wet, windy, limited visibility riding on the Cherohala Skyway we started to refer to it as the Chernobyl Iceway. Sadly a lone motorcyclist was killed in a fatal accident there on Thursday.

[​IMG]

Clouds frequently blew up the mountain and across the road. Sometimes they enveloped things in a heavy fog.

[​IMG]

It was cold, damp, and windy at elevation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4-s-hsky

[​IMG]

Craig on his new KLR. Hasn't ridden a bike for over 40 years and he thought this trip would be good for getting him back into it. :evil

[​IMG]

So things warmed up as we got off the Chernobyl and got to the Dragon. As usual there was a TN Trooper on the job there.

[​IMG]

Video of a KTM 500 EXC on knobbies following a Yamaha WR250 on moto wheels down the length of the Dragon.

You probably want to reset the resolution on the videos to the highest setting once you open them. Seems best watching them on youtube directly. :dunno

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1pqoUVUTUq8" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Cannon

[​IMG]

Someone asked about the mirrors I was using. They are Doubletake Mirrors and I continue to be remarkably pleased with them. Excellent range of adjustment, heavy duty, no vibration issues, and they fold in for tighter trail.

Stopped to look at stuff along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back over the Chernobyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a back way off the Chernobyl using scenic and entertaining forest roads. Kind of fun riding.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ssJmg1TArEE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at camp at MMM. Not very crowded . . . yet. :D

[​IMG]

Ben and Terry (BENRON and 4-s-hsky)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapping wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice weather on Wednesday.

[​IMG]
  2. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    You retired guys have all of the fun...:2cry
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Return trip on the Dragon following 4-s-hsky and BENRON.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KEStGfCYUCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    You just can't trust those ktm bike stands.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm just glad that heavy-ass WR didn't collapse the damn thing. I've got a half a can of orange paint invested in it.
  6. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Always up for a Canon report.

Rode quite a bit around there and waiting to see some gems you've found.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 2 Supposed to rain today. Never hit until just after we got back to camp.

As I mentioned, we opted to ride the Tellico Adventure Trail. It offered us full days of riding and we wanted to check it out. The loops are pretty similar terrain-wise, so I'll just throw up this overview as a reference.

[​IMG]

Mike missed the first day but was ready to ride with us today. Nice custom trailer.

[​IMG]

The dog started off a little wary of motorcycles (smart dog) but later was comfortable hanging out around the bikes.

[​IMG]

Chasing around the contour roads. Reset to HD.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q20Qm-FvPig" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks a little cool and cloudy over toward the Chernobyl Iceway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reset to HD.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cMseq5TnQIY" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Visited a TVA dam.

[​IMG]

We chatted a bit with a worker about dam problems in the region. One dam was built with a poor concrete mix in the rush to get power to build airplanes for the war. Another is under pressure from surrounding mountains. They did something to relieve the pressure and the dam immediately closed in on itself eliminating any gap.

[​IMG]

Workers have to walk the inside of this five mile long penstock once every five years. The penstock is not completely made of pipe. It uses tunnels as it passes through mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penstocks lead to power generating stations like this one.

[​IMG]

A little mishap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up a flat while riding the contours.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K9eT-iRs5q4" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Terry's nice tire pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got that bald spot from scratching my head wondering where all the other holes in the tube were after I patched the first two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neighborhood got a little more crowded while we were out. Still more folks to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burn out tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Great report! Great area!

john
  9. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Nice Bryan,

Sure were a lot of dogs there :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

BigDog
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Beautiful area with nice riding. The smaller dual sports were sporty but big bikes could be fun too.

Hi John. :wave

Indeed. :D

Great seeing you again!
  11. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    Moar - it's fun to see and hear what riders from other parts of the country think about out "backyard".

Chernobyl Parkway - :rofl this from a bunch of guys from Wisconsin.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    That's southern Wisconsin . . . ya'll.

:D
  13. Gerken

Gerken Training to be Crosscut Certified Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This was my first time on the Dragon and thanks Cannon for making it possible. I had heard stories from other riders that it was really no big deal but I had a hoot. The riding company surrounding me had a large factor in that I'm sure. The traffic was light and the few cars we happened upon pulled over and let us by. Very cool. Yes, law enforcement was present as well it should be but we behaved as per orders by our leader. It would not be my first traffic ticket on a CannonTrek but as Ben mentioned to the group, a ticket on the Dragon is frame-able and something to be proud of.
  14. Gerken

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Emma was a big sweetie. Part dog, part woodchuck, all energy. I miss Emma.
  15. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    Foxfire and I got down a little later on Wednesday and missed the Chernobyl/Dragon ride.
    We set up camp, and went out for a ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey look we found a dam too.
    [​IMG]

We put on about 100 miles that afternoon of awesome paved and gravel mountain roads.
    Then we stopped in Tellico Plains for dinner and found a nice place that served locally caught Grouper.

We chatted up the waitress a bit and had to clarify for her that Canada was a whole other country.

It was going to be a good trip.
  16. Gerken

Oddometer:
    I particularly enjoyed our dam visit. One of the first things we learned from the worker we spoke with was that we were not supposed to be there. Something about staying beyond the open gate we passed through. Key word "open". Excuse our ignorance.

[​IMG]

This did not stop us from inquiring about all things dam related and to his credit the gentleman was very helpful and informative. The highlight for me was when Cannon asked what it was like to walk the length of the penstock pipe during the inspection. In his best Tennessee Valley Authority drawl the response was "Well, it's like walking through a big pipe". Question answered.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Friday

Much cooler today.

Got a little snowy and icy at elevation. Ice on my face shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the sun came out, the ice was melting off the trees. As gusts came up, the ice broke free and pelted us as we rode through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reset to HD.

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ckfwWwvZtnY" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SZ6dtjqKNLo" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WwMZVAW4UbA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LSTLQ2itSwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Great report, thanks for sharing!

I'm seeing a lot of thumpers in the pictures, but the pics and video show all doubletrack. I'm thinking of doing this route on my 1190 this year, would I be wrong to think its all doable on a V Twin?
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think you'd be fine. I did the Kentucky Adventure Tour (similar) on my Super Tenere and it was fine - just not as much fun as on the smaller bike.
  20. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    Hold on, it can't be Friday yet. Josh and I haven't ridden the Dragon yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, now you can carry on.