Tellico Adventure Trail, +SM500+, and Damascus-Augusta Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Baggi'tard, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Farmhouse Inn presents the Tellico Adventure Trail. Four main tracks that total 660 miles and two alternate tracks that total 330 miles. Of course the vast majority are gravel roads, but no way to not mix in a few hot backroads and a few miles of highway as needed. Due to road closures in Dec 2015, I revised several of the loops. The named loops are big bike friendly (the bike shouldn't be the issue anyway), but you should at least have some dual sport tires, not street.

• Apalachia is 172 miles. This track takes in many of the interesting sites associated with Apalachia Dam, Apalachia Powerhouse, the penstock, and historic McFarland work camp ruins.
    • DoublecampBald is 150 miles. Includes some seasonally open (fall hunting) roads north of the Cherohala Skyway, the Doublecamp loop, and Bald River areas.
    • DoublecampBald_Alt is an alternate when the seasonal roads are closed.
    • BlackBear and BlackBearAlternate are 170 miles. You might have great luck seeing bears in either the Cohutta Wilderness in Georgia or Big Frog Wilderness in Tennessee.
    • Snowbird Tears is 170 miles. Includes several high balds, the Trail of Tears, and the Snowbird Wilderness
    • JoeBrownDog is also about 170 miles and was an original track that includes some of Snowbird and Doublecamp prior to Tatham Gap road re-opening.
    • Trail 81 and Trail 82 (single track moto trails) are also included.
    • In SnowbirdTears, seasonal closures in NC include Joyce Kilmer and Tatham Gap; they are open from 4/1 to 12/31.
    • In DoublecampBald seasonal closures in TN include the section that runs north of Rafter Rd to Citico Creek (Miller Ridge); that area is only open 10/1 to 12/18. Use Doublecamp_Altduring other times.
    I've completed a revision to the popular Smoky Mountain 500 track done by @andy29847. The +Smoky Mountain 500+ (+SM500+). Those of you that know ammo, know that +p+ is the hottest! This track is more small and medium dual sport friendly than Andy's version, and takes in a few things I know to be a bit rowdier, and less highway. If you like a more technical challenge, get your +SM500+ track here! I've also added an additional track between Iron Horse and Tellico Plains, the Blue Ribbon track, it takes in the MOST technical riding there is near here. And I've added a day ride loop centered around Suches (or one of the other nearby campgrounds), called the Ranger Loop. See posts on about page 31+ for more info.

If you are looking to extend your Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route (MABDR) to the south, then I have a track for you as well. The Damascus to Augusta Trail (DAT). You also use this track to merge in with the SEAT track.

As detailed below the gpskevin TAT track is STILL routed into and through the SMNP, Cades Cove, and the closed road Parsons Branch. If you want to avoid all this miserable traffic, take this Maggie Valley to Andrews alternate track.

Road Closures (as of July 2018)
    FR311 is still closed south of Buck Bald down to the Hiwasee River (can take Trail 82). Ocoee Ranger District seems to have no plans to fix this minor washout.

You can PM or post questions here, you can also call the Farmhouse Inn at 423-253-3123. Of course I would love for you to stay with us, but if not, we have many options in Tellico Plains. Even if you don't stay here stop by and sign the Tellico Adventure Trail book, grab a water, sit on the porch and take a break, or buy a T-shirt. We also have craft beer for sale! Stop by after your ride and we can chat by the fire.

If you don't want to figure out where to ride, or don't like GPS technology, or just like to follow the leader, then we offer the Adventure Package at the Farmhouse Inn. For an additional daily fee per rider, you get lunch, dinner, and two local craft beers. Plus I'll take you on any type of riding you want, paved, on-Trail, or off-Trail. Call or PM for more info.

PROBLEM:

So, some of you know I pulled the tracks last year after it was evident some of the "pay to play" tracks had been revised on the free stuff that either myself or Andy (SM500 and SM1000 tracks) have put out. That's "aggravating" to put it mildly. Well you know what's even more aggravating? Having fellow adventure riders have a miserable experience because of road closures or just horrible routing provided by guys that don't seem to either really know or care.

SOLUTION:
    In the spirit of the ADV community, provide the tracks and updated information to maximize the riding experience. I already try to keep up with information in my direct area, but I'm going to go back to providing the tracks to people that ask. If you want to help support this effort with feedback, road/trail suggestions, buying a t-shirt, sending me a few bucks in paypal, joining a trail organization, attending public access planning meetings, or having a beer together then great. If you just want the tracks then that's OK too. Why? Read about the Trans Euro Trail and see what they've accomplished and are providing for free, pretty impressive and inspiring. I'm really hoping people will help me add on and expand the area the tracks cover.

So if you want the tracks please send me a PM with your email address, Kyle.

The current Tellico Adventure Trail overview:
    TAT.jpg

and +SM500+ overview:

SM500.jpg

and the Damascus-Augusta Trail overview:

DAT.jpg
    fatbikeracer, slime, WNCSte and 4 others like this.
  2. Ridethat

Ridethat Ride Orange

Oddometer:
    Please send the 3 tracks to me if possible.
    I am willing to support your cause. Let me know how to contribute via PayPal or however I can.
    We are looking at doing this ride in the spring.

Thanks

Kurt

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
  3. jeg29063

jeg29063 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would love to have the tracks-please send asap. week of in mid November
    and want to head up your way.
    Thanks
    John
  4. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM with your email John.
  5. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    PM Sent! Thanks for your hard work. I know how difficult it is to gather and organize all this information.
    Baggi'tard likes this.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    How many miles long is the DAT ?
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    914 miles
    GAS GUY likes this.
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Are there any reports or additional information on the DAT. Couldn't find anything.
  9. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    There's been a few people that have done portions of it, including some jeeps, but nobody has gotten back about the whole thing, or any comments. What additional info would you be after?
    GAS GUY likes this.
  10. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Just general road and trail conditions or points of interest I guess. Was just curious. Last year I rode the MABDR and enjoyed that immensely. Am hoping to get down and ride some or all of the DAT route this year. I'm guessing it is pretty much a continuation of the MABDR ? Thanks for your efforts on your routes and GPX tracks.
  11. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you'll find a LOT more dirt/gravel forest roads (the vast majority), based on the few comments I've heard about the MABDR. For general "what's it like" on the FS roads in the area, I've posted a ton of video on youtube (Tellico Adventure Trail). Just disregard the silly stuff on the single track trails, Squally, the old OHV areas, etc, none of that is planned in the DAT.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the DAT information! I'm considering linking it to the MABDR this spring . . . should keep me out of trouble for a bit ;-}
  13. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    How are the trails looking up there? Headed around the SM500 loop with some friends (maybe one or two of us on the 950s) Friday thru Sunday. Would like to hit 81/82 and/or the guardrail trail Saturday.

We are camping off the bikes so not sure our full plans yet and the group size but at least a few of us will brave the weather and keep our fingers crossed.

@Baggi'tard you are welcome to join us Saturday if you want.
  14. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Can't give an up to date report on those, even if i rode them today and they were clear that might not mean anything on Saturday. Won't be here to ride, will be in Greece riding.
    slime and SpeedyR like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Gravel travel in the Unaka Mountain Range - while traversing the DAT. Near the Tennessee and North Carolina border; back and forth actually. No state line signs up there though.

20190525_145052.jpg
    CaseyB likes this.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Lost the route at this point and figured I should alert you. Seems to be some kind of discrepancy here. The road is actually more like a driveway and leads you up a hill and into someone's property and house. It's a dead end at the house with only grassy yard and woods ahead, even though the GPX file shows the route going straight ahead.

Screenshot_20190525-152009_OsmAnd.jpg
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Here is a close-up. The road that I spoke of is called: Leonard Road.

Screenshot_20190525-152036_OsmAnd.jpg
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Looking at the shape of the proposed route and the shape of the Appalachian Trail that runs through this questionable section, it appears as if the A.T. is the supposed route. But we know we can't ride on the Appalachian Trail. Any ideas ?
  19. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    yup, looks like a small error when routing I never caught, you were on Dennis Cove Rd, shoulda stayed on that road into Hampton, but routing veered off onto Leonard Rd to try and save 10 feet or something. Thanks for letting me know.
    Kyle
    GAS GUY likes this.
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    This gate was open for Forest Service road 278 in Pisgah National Forest (off of 19W) while following the DAT towards the Smokies.

20190525_171737.jpg

But a few miles up the mountain there was a locked gate impeding any further travel. The road past the gate looked pretty beat up and rough. Had to backtrack and ride 19W to where the DAT came back down and reconnected with 19W.

Screenshot_20190521-122339_OsmAnd.jpg