Tellico Adventure Trail, +SM500+, and Damascus-Augusta Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Baggi'tard, Sep 2, 2018.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Cool, glad I could help.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    After leaving Hot Springs and en route to Max Patch, I came upon another locked gate. Had to backtrack and run the "Rattler" (NC209) to a point where I could reconnect with the DAT. Don't know how often or why these gates are locked, but figured you may want to know. Once again, the road looked really rough and unmaintained past the gate.

20190525_173353.jpg
  3. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that certainly happens, slides, fires, lots of downed trees, or seasonally open/closed. The ranger districts don't always do a great job of posting which roads are temporarily closed and it seems lots of time you only find out about permanent closures when they revise a vehicle use map, and sometimes they are seasonally open/closed and that changes also depending on what wildlife agencies want. Or near me they took a seasonally opened road and turned it into a horse trail, with no public notice or input. I'll see if I can figure out if anything has changed with FS 278.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  4. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    The FS is sure making this hard...
  5. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    The rangers that I've had a chance to speak with over the last few months.... . Daniel Boone, Cherokee, Pisgah, Nantahala, have all mentioned the government shut down has them behind. Couple that with the weather. It seems reasonable to me. I don't know if that's the reason at these specific gates, but I've certainly come across my fair share so far this season.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  6. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    @GAS GUY , thanks for the feedback. I've fixed the things you've pointed out and routed around the seasonal roads. Seeing that Basecamp picked a trail to route, I double checked the area around the SMNP and sure enough found another short trail the track went down instead of the road, so fixed that. Then I decided to make Witt Rd a pink track and routed the main track along Steer Creek Rd (should have done that first time around). Shouldn't be running into any more seasonal/closed gates in the WNC/ETN/NGA area since I get to see and ride that a lot more. Knock on wood.

I have a revision 2 file, if you PM me your email again I can send it right out.
    GAS GUY and Amphib like this.
  7. rlloyd

rlloyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't need these today, but I have bookmarked for future use the next time I get up there from Durham. What an awesome resource - thank you!
  8. onthetrail

onthetrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Farmhouse Inn is also a great stop for people doing the TAT! Thanks for Kyle for taking care of me as I was passing through on the WR250R in 2017.

Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    TRACK FILE UPDATES!

Trail 81 has been blocked by a really large tree for a few months now. Instead of clearing it, seems the FS just came up with a new route, it's been well "ridden in." Got a track of it Sunday. It mostly follows along the FS road that parallels the north end of the trail, then climbs/descends steeply straight to the other steep section on the north, bypassing the whole "side slope" section. Here's the track. I've added it to Tellico ADV Trail revision X, DAT revision III, and +SM500+ revision II. DAT revision also includes the minor errors pointed out above and I changed some seasonal roads to an alternate route. Also, talked to a guy that lives near Max Patch NC and he said FS is considering closing Hurricane Creek Rd because the jeeps won't stay on the road and are riding on private land. So who knows, you might find that gated. Don't go around gates, and don't take outlaw trails, that doesn't benefit anybody.

I also added some of the nearby breweries in Copperhill, Andrews, Blue Ridge, and Murphy at the request of some recent beer hunter guests. Some other minor details and fixes as well.

Here's the Trail 81 alternate

81a.jpg
    Ginger Beard and rlloyd like this.
  10. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    Not sure what road that is, the map does not show road numbers?? Im familiar with that area, as I ride out of Fines Creek/ Match Patch several times a year. If that's Wolf Creek Road, it's hit or miss in that area. The FS has closed some of it and turned it into horse trails, although I never see horses in there, or do they even want to ride there as its pretty nasty trail. There are some really good road, trails in that area as well as quite a bit of single track ( outlaw) My motto there is stay silent and leave no trace and leave it like you found it. Have fun! Im really wanting to come again for a visit Kyle, I just haven't found time yet with another crumb snatcher on the way. - Mike