1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tellico Plains TN, Farmhouse Inn, Loop Tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Baggi'tard, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    removed
  2. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    This is the first paved only ride (honestly it would be quite easy to modify any of the SM rides to skip around the short sections of gravel, mostly). I'll prolly do a SM version of this area too as there are a number of gravel sections obviously. All of this stuff isn't too far off Hwy 68, but it's probably stuff the average passerby never considers, too bad because a lot of it is just spectacular riding, zero traffic, great scenery, etc. Ride down to Farner and then meander around far western NC (the three and four digit county roads in NC are generally just fantastic fun), cross back into TN briefly and head to Georgia. Lots of cool things to stop and check out in McCaysville and Copperhill.
  3. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    removed
  4. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your suggestions. Will be down your way soon to try some out.
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I hope you have a website for your B&B. Don't know if the rules will let you post a link, but I'm gonna look. Thanks for putting these loops together. Is there any more trail like stuff down your way? Not asking you to create a trail ride but would like to try some if it's in the vicinity and it's genuinely legal stuff. (like FS roads that are 4wd only)

How far from the Wheels of Time museum?

what's the weather like at the end of Nov. Or when is the spring riding first doable usually. sorry for all the questions.
  6. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am new to "following tracks". Which gps should I purchase for easy to understand and use?
    Thanks
    Tony in Tn near Nashville
  7. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:

easy enuff to google tellicofarmhouseinn dot com. LOL. There are only two trails that I know of Trail 81 and 82, both within 25 miles. There might be more trail stuff in north Georgia but I'm not positive. There are only a few open double track "roads" it seems too, one between the Cherohala and North River Road that I've yet to investigate (I think I went down it a little ways once, but I don't like getting into stuff like that by myself). I found one up above Bald River falls too (end of Miller Cemetary FR). Actually used to be an OHV area at the end of River Road TN/NC line, but the USFS closed it down a couple years ago, too much runoff and siltation of the streams I guess. The Tellico and Bald rivers run clear and are excellent fishing. Lots of closed forest roads actually, not sure how far many of them used to go, but lots of closed gates anyway. Starr Mountain has a lot of open trails, but they are for horses, so don't accidentally ride them.. :evil

We are 102 miles from Maggie Valley, via highways.

Weather here end of November is typically pretty good still. Not that we couldn't have a cold spell or even a little slushy snow, but honestly it really doesn't turn "winter" here until January and February, and even then there will be some nice weekends in the 40s and 50s and everybody will be out riding. Honestly the best riding here in the forests is in the winter if you ask me, all the leaves are down and you can see so much more.
  8. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Geez, that's a question fraught with danger. Believe it or not, many guys are just going to their smartphones or larger "phablets" (phone/tablet). Honestly my iPhone has a better $2 GPS app (Motion-X GPS) than any of my multi hundred dollar Garmin GPS. The Zumo 350 I have won't even import or read uploaded track files, nor will it create them, even though you can use up to 64 Gb data cards in it. That's STUPID! and the reason I'm not ever likely to buy another Garmin product. I like GPS cuz I use it as a scrolling map, I don't care for nor use the functions of it telling me where to go and how to get there, and I sure don't need it to tell me what lane to be in on the interstate. So I'm not happy with the Zumo/Nuvi type GPS as I am with my regular old model....

My older GPSmap 60CSX (it's really a hiking/handheld GPS) can read uploaded tracks, but the number of dots in the track are limited (but don't usually affect outcome, just have to revise the tracks to upload without being truncated. Again, kinda stupid for something that cost hundreds of dollars. Meanwhile my phone will read any size track file I can upload, using a $2 app, plus I have the choice of like 12 different map datasets or aerial photo backgrounds. you can buy all sorts of cases and mounts and power cords for your phone or tablet and have half the money in it as many dedicated GPS.

Trail Tech makes a GPS console thing called Voyager that is very track friendly and fairly inexpensive. If you get a GPS, just make sure you can upload and read tracks (all the Garmin handhelds will do it, and honestly have better functionality overall than the moto/auto based ones). My buddy uses a cheap little etrex model and it can upload and display tracks just fine.

I'd investigate the GPS forums here to try and help you figure it out for sure.
  9. oldgezzer

oldgezzer Country Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the time and effort you have invested in the routes. Now I have to find to spend a few days in Tellico Plains to try them out. Will definitely look up the Farmhouse Inn....
  10. Taunt

Taunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is making me homesick.. Originally from Athens, TN!
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Farmhouse has a very nice site. Don't want to say too much good about it. (don't want it filled when I want to come down :D)
  12. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Gives me an excuse to go out find/map stuff. I've lived in Knoxville 13 years, which is barely an hour away, but never investigated many many of these roads, so it's amazing how being that much closer frees me up to bomb around and verify stuff. And excuse to ride the ADV, supermoto, and Multi at different times for different styles of rides.. :clap
  13. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by tonymarchman [​IMG]
    I am new to "following tracks". Which gps should I purchase for easy to understand and use?
    Thanks
    Tony in Tn near Nashville

Geez, that's a question fraught with danger. Believe it or not, many guys are just going to their smartphones or larger "phablets" (phone/tablet). Honestly my iPhone has a better $2 GPS app (Motion-X GPS)

Which app would work best for samsung galaxy s2?
  14. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    removed
  15. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    removed
  16. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    In case you were wondering what Trail 81 looks like.

Attached Files:

17. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    And of course the nearby Trail 82.

Attached Files:

18. knoxnate79

knoxnate79 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in Knoxville and I really appreciate these routes as alternatives to the more famous, heavily trafficked, and frequently less enjoyable tracks.

I'm a novice off of pavement so I won't be venturing off gravel and dirt roads until I gain some skills, and hopefully find some other nuts to watch me crash and laugh at me.
  19. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:

You hit the whole point of this right on the head...:evil
  20. knoxnate79

knoxnate79 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been told I have a talent for stating the obvious. :rofl