Tellico Plains,TN Route 112 miles PY01

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    To help get this area of the site moving, I created a cool dual sport route starting in Tellico Plains, TN. The Entire loop is 112 miles with very minimal pavement contact. I saved it in .GPX format within mapsource, and left other waypoints of possible intrest in the area in the file. I created plenty of points in the route so it should pull up the same on anyones autorouting setup, no matter the settings.

The Route starts in Tellico Plains and heads south. Shortly after leaving Tellico Plains, this route takes you onto Witt Road (has a total of 4 creek crossings). This is very scenic section of the ride. There are also some falls nearby if you wanted to take the time to check them out.

That will bring you back out onto Highway 68 just for a tad, until you get on Buck Bald forest road. This will take you up to buck bald for an incrediable 360 degree view of the area. There is a waypoint in this section at the Buck Bald Fork that is Trail 82 Crossing. I haven't been on this trail yet, but plan on it. This is a single track trail that motorcycles are allowed on.

(http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/recreation/roz_ohv.shtml)
    (Designated Motorcycle Trails: Unicoi Trail #82 is a short 3.4-mile multiple use trail located on Ocoee/Hiwassee Ranger District in the southern section of Cherokee National Forest. The trail is open to motorcycle use, but not ATVs)

I'm not sure if it goes all way back down to 68 or not, if so you could come in this way. More exploring will be needed on my part before I can comment more on this area.

From Buck Bald, you go back down a very scenic rugged section that brings you down at the Hiwasee River. From there you get back on 68 for just a little bit, then back onto some forest roads. Down Dittney Mountain Road, and back up Smith Mountain Road. Very scenic and rugged roads here. This will bring you back up to the Lost Creek Forest Road.

Then back to Highway 30 just for a second, then onto Benton Mountain/Oswald Dome loop (another very scenic rugged road). Toward the end of this, it turns to pavement for a second, and there are some very scenic overlooks. One with a nice gazebo overlooking Benton. From there theres a gravel road that will take you back down to Benton (right in front of Bentons Shooter Supply), from there you will be on Highway 411 for just a short section.

Then onto Spring Creek Road (starts out pavement and turns to gravel), goes up along side the Hiwasee River for some killer views of the river. This will bring you back onto Highway 315.

From there just a short section on Pavement will put you on the Star Mountain Loop (forest roads).. This will end onto 39 where you have just a short section of pavement back to Tellico Plains. I believe the Motorcycle Resort is also on Highway 39 also.

This would make a killer dual sport ride from Tellico. I've explored the area quite a bit, and would gladly help or show others around the area. If you find this route enjoyable, I'd love to hear from you and your adventures.

Python,

PS - Love to hear from others who ride this area often, to ride with, share info,etc. Please email me.

Note, heres a few pics taken from rides off this route,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vist Tennessee's (and Surrounding Areas)
    Online Offroad/Dualsport community at ...

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com :ricky <!-- / sig -->

Attached Files:

onesaintsfan likes this.
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Thank you! A few of us on a local board have been talking about doing a ds ride around this area.
  3. Python423

Oddometer:
    Which local board? I'd like to join in. This is just one route of MANY I could come up with. Alot of good riding in this area, but not alot you can find online. Have to get out and explore find it on your own. I know the area pretty good. I live in Sweetwater, TN (30 mins from Tellico). Let me know when you guys plan on riding this area. I'll help ya in anyway I can.

4. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    Prolly georgiasportbike.com... Hi, BlueLghting! You've gotta tell me when you're in my neck of the woods - I'd love to meet you for lunch/dinner/a few miles. :wave
  5. Python423

Oddometer:
    Where you at in the Great Smoky Mountains? i'd love to adventure up there more, but I dont know my way around.

[​IMG]

6. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route. Hoping to make it down that way in March. Looks like I may have to spend another day!

Dave
  7. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Workerant gave one of them. www.georgiasportbike.com, although a lot of us with the DS bikes hang on www.blokessportbike.com. We do have a dirt/supermoto forum on Blokes. Both boards are mostly locals to the Atlanta area, which isn't very local to you, although we do have one guy that is in the Chatanooga area. Feel free to join though. We were just looking to take a DS trip up to near the Cherohola sometime in the coming months. We could definitely look you up for some help when we decide to venture that way.

We have a few of us that just got into the DS bikes and such and spend time in N. GA, but are looking for other places to go to for weekend trips and such.
  8. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Hey there! I will definitely let you know. We need to exchange numbers so I have an easy way to contact you in case it's last minute!
  9. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    Check your PMs for my phone number.

Python423: I live and work in Maryville (work at Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson). I see you on easttnriders.com too; Francois at Deal's Gap is my better half. The Dualsport section of easttnriders is growing, I guess, but most of the guys I ride dirt with (Dale Wesson, Harold Harrison, Bobby Morrow, Rick Stevens and one smoove mofo named Gene ?Something?) don't post (or plan their rides) very much.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Does this go through the Tellico ORV area? There is a long trail through there that would be great for a DS bike. If memory serves me right I believe its trail 4
  11. Python423

Oddometer:
    No.. This goes in the opposite direction, Southwest of Tellico, the forest roads over toward orv (other then the trails) are pretty tame compared to this.

12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Ok, when I go down to ride your loop I will probally add some of the ORV trails into it. I've been Jeeping down there a few times and love that area. :clap
  13. Python423

Oddometer:
    Yeah the OHV area is awesome...

14. TrailTime

TrailTime WannaB

Oddometer:
    :ricky I've been on all the roads you have listed at one time or another in my life and can't wait till I can get a DS to explore them again. I have an '83 XR350R and have it almost reliable enough to be put on the trail except for paint i'm no artist just mechanical. I hope come springtime to have a KLX-250S so no ranger can tell me I can't ride on NFS service roads. Maybe we can meet up and ride a few miles in the near future.:thumb Excellent pictures, I've also fished about every hole Hiwassee has to offer, a great place to recreate and enjoy the great outdoors.
  15. Python423

Oddometer:
    Cool, please email me (I sent the address thru a private message here on advirder or you could probably do it thru advrider). I am in sweetwater, and also ride offroad as well, I have a DRZ400E. I'm intersted in talking with you more about Starr mountain.

[​IMG]

16. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several of us are heading down there in March to do some DS riding. Looks like a lot of fun (not been there myself).

Say, is this the same location?
    Your pict:
    [​IMG]

Our club member's pict:
    [​IMG]
  17. Python423

Oddometer:
    Yes, same spot.. Buck Bald..

18. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Python423

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeramey, looks good. I'll compile some more leser known rides in the very near future. I'll try to use track format (if possible) for future routes so more people can view.

[​IMG]

20. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer: