Tellico Plains,TN Route 112 miles PY01

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, Dec 27, 2006.

1. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Would you reccomend this route for a fairly inexperienced off-road rider on a 1200GS?
  2. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And how about an off road n00b on a DL650 with a set of Anakees? I suppose we can always turn around and go back if things get hairy but I see a lot of true dual sports in those pics and I'm just curious if a Strom could make it as well. The views look worth the trip but I just don't want to be stupid, either.:wink:

Thanks,
    Kevin
  3. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Yes, its just forest service roads.. some havent been worked on in years, but nothing major.. Except for the first section going down witt road (might be labeled old68 on mapsource), it has 4 creek crossings, 3 of em real easy, but one has some jagged rocks in it. Fixing to go to work, but when I get in, I'll mark an alternative route to avoid this...

Vist Tennessee's (and Surrounding Areas)
    Online Offroad/Dualsport community at ...

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com :ricky <!-- / sig -->
  4. Python423

Oddometer:
    The only section that would be tricky at all on a bigger bike would be the first section coming out of Tellico Plains heading south where you turned right onto Witt Road(labeled OldTN-68 then Witt in City Navigator). There are about 4 creek crossings, which all are VERY easy except one. the last one, it has like a big rock underneath the stream, which is kinda slick and ruff, but there is a groove you can go thru. I usually just go slow and walk mine thru this part in the rut.. You could do it on a bigger bike if you just do it that way, but if you are unsure or very noob, then plan this alternative route to skip the witt road section. Start up like your going toward skyway and branch off on a small road to the right that goes uphill near Tellico Beach, its Old Furnace road (CR-671), this is gravel and will be nice alternative route that will bring you back onto hwy-68 just a little ways down from where you would come back on it from the witt road section. Then just continue down hwy 68 until you hit the Buck Bald Road to the left (NF-198) also labeled OLD TN-68 as well on some maps.

As you can see if you wanted to add even more miles to the route (which not sure you would, as its a big route all ready), you could go on down and hit river road, and then get on wildcat road and take that route back to 68, which would bring you down further then the old furnace road would onto 68.

I've updated the .GPX to include an alternative route around the creek crossings in a seperate section. Its attached at bottom of this message.

Attached Files:

5. KevinMcCall

KevinMcCall Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the alt. route. I'm planning on being in the area in May and I look forward to exploring the area and I'm hoping this track will keep me out of trouble.

Thanks again,
    Kevin
  6. Carl.Custer

Carl.Custer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you really want a tour of the area, bug Jack Hunt.
    <jhunt1x@tds.net>

His family was one of the first in the area.
    He took a couple of buddies, one on an XR and another on a KTM, on a tour. "Agog" is a pretty good term for thier impression. :clap
    FWIW, Jack and Lorii are starting up "Hunt's Lodge" motorcycle campground just south of Tellico Plains. :D
  7. motopimp

motopimp Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the majority of this today, nice stuff. I really enjoyed the Witt road (btw I counted five creek crossings, another small one after the infamous 4th), and Spring Creek sections. Somehow I missed the trail 82 stuff, will have to look for that again before I leave. Thanks for the info.
  8. Python423

Oddometer:
    If your going up to buck Bald, right there at the fork where your turn left to go on the spiral road up to it, there right before the fork is 82, its singletrack. You'll miss it if you dont look closely for it. Its labeled also. I was going to come over and ride with Jermey and some of the guys, but something came up Saturday. Today Sunday, and got Church this morning, so I'm sure you guys will already be riding by time Church is out.. He said they were riding Monday also, but also leaving Monday evening/night, but were going to ride Monday anyway...

I could ride Monday for sure. What route you guys riding Monday? and what time you heading out?

9. FLGSARider

FLGSARider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the risk of showing my GPS ignorance, if I wanted to plug this route into my Garmin 2720, how do I do it? This looks like a great ride and my buddy with a Uly and me with a GSA would like to try this route. Would appreciate any assistance the group may have. Thanks
  10. Python423

Oddometer:
    get the 2nd file, it has it in route and track format, http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100441&d=1169751882

I'm not famialr with the Garmin 2720, but I'm sure you use Mapsource dont you? on your computer? just open the file in Mapsource, and click to send to receiver, and it will send it over. note if you have other routes/tracks, it will overwrite them. If you have other routes/tracks, first load the .gpx then receive from the receiver, that way it will add whats on your receiver plus whats on mapsoruce in one file. Then delete all tracks/routes on the Garmin 2720, and resend all the tracks/routes back. Also you might want to do waypoints same way, as this file has waypoints in it for possible points of intrest. Keep me posted what days you want to ride, maybe I could lead the ride or ride with you guys. I'm off work for a month or two longer..

11. FLGSARider

FLGSARider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    PYthon423 - Thanks much for the information I will give it a try. We are going to be up there April 25th - 30th. I will PM you as it gets closer and hopefully I won't have any trouble downloading this as it looks like a great route. Thanks again. :clap

12. Python423

Oddometer:
    Here is update to the alternative route file. This one just adds a little more to the original alternative route. 2nd alternative would be go up 165, then to river road, then to Miller Cementary Road, onto Smithfield road back to 68 instead of the Old Furnace Road. Either route is good, but I'd take the original route (witt road route) if you don't mind the Creek Crossings. I'd encourage anyone riding this area in the next few months to contact me via email, I'm off work for a while, and could easily guide a tour or tag along on some d/s rides in this area. Also added a couple waypoints to this file.

Attached Files:

13. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is going to be a big KLR rally at the Cherohala Motorcycle Campground in Tellico Plains in May. I went last year and had a ball. This year is supposed to be bigger and better. They would sure like to hook up with you, I know. There are opportunities to lead on rides and stuff. Check out the link:

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,1675.0.html

Great folks.

David
  14. Python423

Oddometer:
    I been in contact with em, Me and Cherokee Chuck (from Clevelend) are doing some scouting out there today for the Hooligan ride.. Fixing to leave here in a few minutes..

15. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cherokee Chuck is a great guy. He was one of the main scouts/guides last year and is heading up that task this year. He is a super ride guide and knows how to get the most out of a route. I'll tell you this, though, don't be fooled by his old Barbie KLR. He can ride the wheels off of it! He's usually at the next waypoint off the bike looking at his route when the next guy catches up.

Wish I could make this year. I'll be in Islamorada instead. Oh well!

David
  16. Python423

Oddometer:
    I rode with him Yesterday. I was impressed how well he could move the KLR around, and the places he could take it.

17. jimwms

jimwms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Python 423: Four of us ran the route you posted today. I can't thank you enough. We had a great time and look forward to exploring that area some more.:clap:clap

Jim
  18. Python423

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys had a good time. Which route did you take? did you go thru the creek crossings? just curious how high the water was if u did. I passed a group of 4 riders on my to Cherohala Market yesterday, looked like a mixture of Kawasaki's and Suzuki's. it was around 10:45am I guess. We were meeting for a D/S ride there at the market. One of our riders was at the market when the 4 where they, they told him to tell python thanks for posting the d/s routes. I'll be putting together some more routes and posting them up very soon. Glad ya'll liked it.

19. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Python, that was us that passed you, and me that left the message. Just pm'ed you too. Wish we had left a few minutes later, we could have thanked you in person. We had a ball. The creek crossings were all fine, though that last one got a little squirrely. It wasn't as deep as some of the earlier ones.
  20. jimwms

jimwms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was us. Two KLR's and two drz 400's. We did the creek crossings. The water didn't seem too high, especially given the rain the day before. The last one was challenging, as you said, but we all got through OK. We wondered if at any time you could do that one without going on the rock by going to the side. Seemed a little deep yesterday.
    I'll post a pic of one of us crossing when I get back to the home computer.

Thanks again,

Jim