Tellico Plains,TN Ultimate DS Ride (by Python)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, May 29, 2007.

1. RS22b

RS22b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THis looks like a great ride!

Im only down the Dragon way once a year with the rally car to ride such roads as you guys are. I would love to get on some more adventurous roads that have more water crossings and such!

These look like great roads and will see if i can drive/ride them in the spring when im down there.

_billy
  2. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    Two of us will be tooling around those roads on our two-fiddy's in a few weeks. Looking forward to it!
    :clap
  3. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do these trails require street licensed bikes? I could go either way, but my son would really like to take his KDX200 offroad bike. What are normal weather (wet, dry, etc. around Thanksgiving ) conditions this time of year?
  4. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Yes Street Licensed Bikes. The OHV info is here,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272953

Thanksgiving should be nice.. We took a cold spell this week tho with highs in the lower 50's.. that is cold to me, but warm to most.
  5. Python423

Oddometer:
    Plan a trip to brimstone if you want to go offroad riding,

http://www.brimstonerecreation.com/

More info here, (2nd and 3rd messages, with links to past ride reports)

http://tndualsport.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=4
  6. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can a KLR with hardbags get through that singletrack?
  7. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Might be a tight fit in some places. I had to cock the front wheel sideways to fit in between a few trees in a spot or two. And tilted the bike sideways quite a bit while feathering the throttle/clutch to go under a fallen tree (was on a Sherpa).
  8. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    anyone heading down from the northeast? looking to hitch a ride. i can split the bills and driving. all my gear will fit on my bike.
  9. jonathanneely

jonathanneely n00b

Oddometer:
    Is anyone planning on doing this ride anytime soon?
  10. Python423

Oddometer:
    Let me know when u are in town.. I ride the area often.
  11. KawDlr

KawDlr Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer:
    Python, might try and do this run on Friday Oct 3 2008. How long does the run take from the fuel station in Telico taking in acount I am an avid D/S rider and new to this route. We have riden the slabs in this area since I was a kid, but this coming weekend I am free to ride d/s Friday afternoon.
    [​IMG]
  12. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Maps loaded easily and opened fine.:thumb
  13. Ironman

Ironman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Python,
    A couple of buddies and myself will be up in the area the weekend of March 20th. Thanks a ton for the track, as we'll definitely be dual sporting it.

Cheers!
  14. Python423

Oddometer:
    Hollar at me closer to that weekend, maybe I could join u guys.. hollar at us over at www.tnadvriders.com also for more tracks.
  15. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    I'll be back there second week in June, too. A full week! Jack will have his DR up and running by then. The three of us plan on riding new routes in addition to what we rode back in '07. Including that great single track.
    I'll check in with you closer to June in case you'd like to join us.(and I'll probably have questions about routes even though Jack lives there in TP :wink:)
  16. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this is affected, but I saw something on another board about the USFS closing Tellico while it develops a use plan or something. Sorry - I can't find the original post, but you might want to check out the current situation.

Dave
  17. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    thanks. If I'm not mistaken, this pertains mostly to the OHV Park. Not sure if it does to the entire OHV road system or not. I'll have to inquire.

We plan to ride in the TP and southern regions of the Cherokee NF and in Natahala NF.
  18. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Murphy on vacation from 3/21-3/27. I sure would like to hook up with ya'll. I'm bringing my KLR & FJR.

David
  19. Ironman

Ironman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Python,
    Again, thanks for the great info. Quick question for you, as we'll be headed into Tellico late Friday of this week. Two of us are riding "big" dual sports, one an 1150gsa and the other a 1200gsa. We both have ridden a decent amount offroad (smaller dualsports included), and consider our skill level to be a 4 out of 5 mostly. I've reviewed the pics and tracks and wanted to get your opinion on accessibility with our big bikes. It looks like we may want to avoid trail 82 and 81 due to rock outcroppings and thin singletrack. Would that be a good assessment? Let us know if you are going to be around. We plan on an all day ride on Saturday.
    Peace,
    Ironman
  20. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

Stop in and talk with Mike at Tellico Outfitters. He's been working on some of those trails and has a bigger bike (HP2), so he may be able to stear you in the right direction.

http://www.tellicomoto.com/