Tellico Plains,TN Ultimate DS Ride (by Python)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, May 29, 2007.

1. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    You can also stop in to Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge/campground on Hwy 64 just south of town. Jack, the proprietor, grew up there and knows the roads like the back of hands. He rides a DR, but can suggest routes suitable for big bikes. You are correct; trails 81 and 82 are too narrow for big bikes to navigate and often have downed trees.
  2. Ironman

Ironman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It just so happens that we will be staying at Hunt's Lodge. Sounds like we have a good plan and a good weekend ahead. We'll definitely keep the big bikes off the narrow, rocky stuff. I would hate to have to try to 'right' one of the beasts out of some of the stuff that the pics show:-). Thanks guys!
  3. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Tell Jack Elzi sends greetings and to get ready for a week of riding in June. And ask him about the 650GS with narcolepsy :evil

There are plenty of fun offroads to ride with your pigs. ;)
  4. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Hope to see ya at the Tellco Rally Texas Shadow.. when u get to that singletrack, u mgiht want to try tne entire trail, the 2nd half has been somethed down alot by mike and crew over at Tellioc Mtorocycle outfitters..
  5. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Trail 82 will be the first one we hit :evil It was already smooth when we rode it last time!
    We do plan on riding the entire trail.

We'll be getting in sometime on Saturday; we should be able to swing by the Ralley after setting up camp. Hope to see you there, too.
  6. Python423

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM, I'll give u my cell #.. I was under impression u only rode the short 1 or 2 mile section. it crosses there at buck bald, which before was kinda rocky and some pucker moments.. supposingly mike took out some fo the big rocks and roots..
  7. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    We did; the southern portion. It fit in with the overall route for the day. I look forward to riding the trail in entirety.

In addition to campfire cobbler, I'm putting together a Big Bend slideshow for the group at Jack's. You're invited to join in.

I'll enter your contact info in The Black Book (TM). Can't wait till June.....
  8. joburocks

joburocks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hit it today with my brother. Thanks for taking the time to make up the gps route, helped alot. The last river crossing on whits rd, got a little deep when I went left instead of staying on the rocks. Just shy of the seat! Got me nervous for a second but made it through. Had we done it on the DR rather than the XRL could have been a little water in the airbox.

Fun trip.
  9. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    The best way to cross that one is to the right of the rock ridges (going west?). Not as deep, no ridges, but requires a hard and quick turn to the left to avoid the Big Green Marshmallow.

We ran that road (plus 65 miles more of it all) last Wednesday.

Just got back from a week there. Will post ride report + photos when I wake up (pulled in at 1:30 am).

Sorry we missed you, Python. :(
  10. Python423

Oddometer:
    Slight update to the file in post #1. Has Route options now.. But since the singletrack is not routeable (not on the maps), I had to put several routes in it, up to the trail point.. Then follow trail afterwords.. then after trail load the next route.

Also since some of the tracks criss-cross, I put the first part in Blue and last part in Red, so not to confuse anyone. Also added few waypoints here and there. Also put in Singletrack trail 81 as option in this track..

Sorry Missed you too Texas Shadow!! wish you guys could have stayed thru sunday, I could have rode.

Let me know if anyone has any more questions.. be glad to help with this route or others in the area.. please stop by my site , www.TnAdvRiders.com for more info in this area.

[​IMG]
  11. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Our stories on the recent one-week stay in TN is here. Starts with three posts dated 6.16.09 (earlier posts are from trip in October, 2007). Posts are in reverse chronology, so the first post is ~half-way down the web page.
    I still have two more days/rides to post up, both off-road.

We will be back!
  12. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    Well I downloaded the GPX files and am headed that way on the 16th of July. I will try and ride what I can before having to head back to the flat lands of West TN.

Thanks for the info Python! I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge of the area. Unless it sucks. :lol3
  13. Python423

Oddometer:
    email or pm me here or on www.TnAdvRiders.com (Tennessee Adventure Riders) closer to your trip, if I'm off work when your in town, be glad to show ya around, aslo if ya need more riding, I can help draw up custom gpx's..
  14. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    Will do!
  15. j_brawner

j_brawner Nashville, TN

Oddometer:
    Myself and a couple others are planning to come out your way and ride the route you've posted and i'm wondering if i downloaded the GPX file in the first post on this thread is that the latest update you've made?

Thanks so much for sharing and we are really looking forward to riding the route!!!:super
  16. Python423

Oddometer:
    Yes latest file.. email me when u come if I am off work I'll join ya.. also check us out over at www.tnadvriders.com
  17. j_brawner

j_brawner Nashville, TN

Oddometer:
    I've already joined and checked it out.. didn't seem like there was much activity going on there. But i'll let you know when we're headed that way!

Can you recommend a good place to camp around there? Somewhere we can get to gas/food without too much hassle would be nice!
  18. Python423

Oddometer:
    theres gas stations and restarunats in the GPS file.. quick 30 min drive to Athens, u have alot more options for food...
  19. simpson

simpson wild rover of hell

Oddometer:
    Hey python, do you know if I can ride smith creek road across the hiwassee? It looks like there's a dam there on google maps. I was just
    curious to see if you had any info on that road. I was planning on riding most of the roads you have your loop, except for the single track, and then camping out Saturday night. Thanks for any help you can give.

[​IMG]
  20. Python423

Oddometer:
    You can't cross there. There is a Dam but its gated on both ends. You can go across lost creek and come out in reliance which is on other side of hiwasee then cross over bridge and be near where that would have come out.

Let me know when your in town, If I'm not doing anything and you want some company, I could tag along.