Tellico Plains,TN Ultimate DS Ride (by Python)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, May 29, 2007.

1. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Is that the new KLr? I see they haven't fixed the dohicky problem yet:rofl . Just want to say thanks again for everyones hard work on the trails. Andy
  2. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Hey Python...thanks for the great GPS tracks. May be coming down there with 2 08 KLR650 and one F800GS in a few weeks. Question on the water crossings...are they all gravel bottom or are some of them that slippery slimy/snotty stuff you can't even WALK on much less ride on?
  3. MikeNC

MikeNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother ran most of the GPS track on F800's. Witt road had most of the creek crossings. I only remember one that had a solid rock bottom. We went through fine but just went with the flow as the bike moved around a bit. I think the locals know the best line through - by luck I picked a much better line than my brother.
  4. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    Down to 3 riders as one has turned smurfy :eek1 (black and blue) after is Husky bucked him off. He's OK but at 66 yrs being S.O.R.E. takes recovery time.

The more I look at the county maps, due the Polk Co. roads south of the Ocoee river warrant riding a southern loop?
    Sina / Sawmill / Peavine Sheeds / Big Frog / Gassaway etc... ?

If so, is the Gassaway / Rt 64 bridge open?

Also, We are open to any additional suggestions that were not previously mentioned on this thread.

Thanks again for this great info!
  5. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I haven't hit those roads South of the Ocoee River; but, all my buddies have & they said I missed a good ride. Not sure about the bridge. Will try to find out from Tom today or tomorrow.
  6. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Just came back from a great week in N Ga ,Tn, and Nc. From the middle of the week till Sunday we put on over 750 miles of mostly nf roads. Thanks for the Witt road route, we got wet before the creek crossings . I would highly recommend the roads south of Occoee .Hit NF-45 off of HW 74 west of the whitewater center then west on 221 to Big frog loop down to Old Ga 2 back up to Tumbling Creek-NF22-2. The road graders had been thru a couple days before hand and pulled up alot of tennis ball and bigger rocks .Thanks again for everyones work on the trails-82 was a handfull on a Klr 650 but still fun.:clap Andy
  7. Kieffer4

Kieffer4 Somebody stop me!

Oddometer:
    We will be in the Tellico area from 10/21 to 10/24. I am planning to try and ride as much of this as I can find. I have never downloaded a track into my GPS but this will be my first try. Looks like a great ride! :D
  8. Gravetter

Gravetter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are doing a little adventure tour of the area and are starting near Townsend. Is there a decent route to hook up with your trails from there?
  9. Gravetter

Oddometer:

Anyone?
  10. Grizz Adams

Grizz Adams When in Doubt Throttle Out!!

Oddometer:
    I will look at the route I rode in that area a year or so ago. When are you leaving?
  11. Gravetter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Mid April. We're renting bikes from gsmmotorent.com whom are located in townsend. We are couple of old friends that want to see beautiful views and get away from it all before I get hitched in June. Any ideas are appreciated.
  12. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    Lt. Dan, the owner of bike shop you plan on renting from, has lots of routes he will give you if you ask.

There is ton's of roads in the area both paved and unpaved. Head towards tellico and visit mini mike's dual sport shop and he can also point you to places to ride as well.

Ping me off line and I can help as well.

Coop
  13. kg4cfx

kg4cfx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on a trip to the Robinsonville area in a couple of weeks I would like to find some off the beaten path /NFS roads to ride trying to get my skills and confidence up. My idea of a ADV ride so far is Forest rd 81 the dirt rd along the Cherohala skyway and Parsons branch. But i am looking for something more. So what i am looking for is some routes i can plug in the GPS and go explore.

Thanks
    Chris
  14. brownie2

brownie2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weekend of May 20th (I think) there's a big group rally at Crawfords at tellico. KLR world has info. It is free.
  15. J Banning

J Banning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread!

How many offcambers and steep climbs are there? The reason I ask is that myself and a couple friends will down there for a week starting this Saturday riding our supermotos in/around Tellico Plains, Robbinsville & Franklin and I'd love to hit these stream crossings and some of the singletrack. I'm an experienced trail rider with past hare scramble experience, so as long as its dry I'd like to check some of this out with the motard. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    -Banning.
  16. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine...
  17. opaque_machete

opaque_machete girls wanna have fun

Oddometer:
  18. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    It works, but looks like they might have lost the name when it expired.
  19. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    I have an '11 R1200GSA with Metzler Tourance tires, my 17yo son has an '09 KLR650 I gave him for his birthday with new Metzler MFE99 tires. We will be riding down to the Gap Thursday June 23rd through Sunday the 26th from central Indiana. We will be taking all back roads and no highways, as I think he will gain more experience from riding the back roads instead of the highway.
    I have 2 weeks of hard trail experience in MOAB last year on various trails riding my '09 KLX250S as well as about 3 solid years of on road experience, and I road down to the Dragon last month on my GS, my son road the ATV along with me in MOAB last year. He has about one year of on road motorcycle experience on the KLX250S(70%), and on the KLR650(30%). He has only been off road on the ATV last year in MOAB.

When we get down there, we will be camping in the area as well. So we will have all of our gear with us. We will be riding the Dragon a few times and the foothill parkway next to it to get him acclimated and more comfortable with riding other than going straight. We will then be making our way to the Cherohala Parkway. After that, Saturday, I would like to hit some trails/fire roads. Not too advanced as I haven't been offroad on my GS and of course we will also have our panniers and gear. My son has never been offroad on a bike. I will be taking him to some limited offroad trails on the 250 near home in the next couple of days. Can anyone offer any advise on where to go. We would be happy to ride with any more experienced riders if in the area. I just don't want to get into a situation where we get stuck on a trail with a damaged bike, or broken bones. Thanks in advance for anyone's advise.
  20. URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER

URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER Getting There!

Oddometer:
    I planned on getting some Continental TKC80s prior to the trip.