Tellico Plans thru Highlands,NC onto Helen,GA need points of intrest

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Python423, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Planning an upcoming 4 day trip leaving East TN. Want to go up 64 toward Highalnds, NC and check out the falls then down warwoman road and onto Helen,GA. May not do this all in one day. So looking for cheap lodging solutions somewhere after the falls near Higlands.. Here is my proposed route to Helen as of now.. And some North GA waypoints I collected a while back... Some of them may be offroad oriented.. This will be a street ride..

So any favorite eating spots, lodging, or scenic spots on this route or near it, would greatly be appreciated ... or route changes/suggestions...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Hi Python, we've traded waypoints before.

If I was planning this route I would take the Cherohala and then 28 into Franklin. The rest of the route looks good, although I can't remember if Davis Gap is paved. Instead of going west on 76 from Clayton, we usually go South on Old GA 441 and pick up Bridge Creek Road in Tiger.

It's only 170 miles. Don't know how you could spend two days doing that. Regardless, Highlands will be the most expensive place you could stop. You should plan for either Franklin or Clayton as alternatives.

In spite of the dramatic elevation, there's not as much to do in Highlands on street bikes as you might imagine. If you're looking for a hike, Whiteside mountain is impressive (2 mile hike). You can also go to Glen Falls. Let me know if you want waypoints.

Also, remember that Highlands makes it own weather. If there is rain anywhere within 100 miles, it will be raining in Highlands. I've spent about six months of my life living in Highlands 2-4 weeks at a time, but not much in the last 5 years. Most of my favorite restaurants have gone upscale or out of business.
  3. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend 28 from Lauada to Franklin. It's my favorite motorcycling road anywhere if you want to get a little sporty. The Teli Cafe in Tellico has great food at times and pretty good food for a good price most of the time. A lot of campgrounds have rustic one room cabins that go for about half the rate of a typical motel room. Just Google "lodging" or "campground" and the name of the town, and you should find some good lodging ideas.
  4. Python423

Oddometer:
    We ride the Cherohla all the time... Plus we may want to leave early that day.. Normally like to go thru US129,NC28,etc but can't get thru from the TN side now.. was just thinking the Cherohala might be chilly early in the morning on top.. Was reason I picked going down hwy68.. Tho not sure what that section of 64 north to frankin would be scenic or not.. Just want a easy day, enuff time to stop at bridel veil falls and dry falls (which requires a mile or two hike i think).. and of course several breaks on the way... May can go all way to helen no prob... just looking for options as might be cheaper stay 1 of the 3 nights somewhere else.. if u know better route, please modify the route and send it to me in gpx... I was just taking that suggestion from someone over at blokessportbike... Ive only been over in that area once before and its been a long time ago.. any waypoints route changes/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. heading out friday morning!
  5. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I love the stretch of 64 between Franklin, NC and Hayesville, NC. Big wide radius high-speed sweepers and good views on both sides of the mountains.

In Haysville there is a great little mom-n-pop restaurant/deli. Can't remember the name off-hand, but I'm sure any of the locals can point you to it. Just outside of downtown Hayesville.

From Hayesville you can head south to Helen, again great little twisty stretch of road over a mountain between Haiwassee, GA and Helen.

I Helen check out a store I believe named "Sue's" It's on a side street on the north end of town. They have the best selection of food and drink in town and also a great deli section where you can get a boxed lunch for the road.

From Helen there's all kinds of great roads to explore in the N GA area.

(disclaimer - My spelling sucks, so the town names above might be near misses.)
  6. GARider

GARider Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer:
    The words cheap and Highlands don't go together. This is about as cheap a place as I have found in Highlands. It is on the left as you come into town from 64. http://www.mountainhighlodge.com/ For as food it about the same deal. There is a place right across from the motel thats not to bad, can't remember the name.

Roger
  7. Python423

Oddometer:
    good deal.. I was unsure what this section of road was like... If it was 4 lane or scenic.. Rather go this way to keep from going over the skyway early in the morning..

Cool.. I'll keep eye for it.. Stop for gas in Hayesville and ask around...

I've been on this section before of 17.. Its very pretty... Tho my riding partner, Melody hasnt been over up the section of 64 to Higlands and I'm wanting to show her something new and different.. Really would like to head up that way before making a round about trip to Helen.. All depends on what time we get started and weather I guess..

Yea I know all roads around Helen are awesome.. I was down there for a week years ago and explored alot.. going to have a couple days so need plan a trip or two leaving helen while down there this time.. Maybe go see Anna ruby falls or something else cool nearby..
  8. Python423

Oddometer:
    I didnt figure there would be any.. Looks like maybe Franklin, NC for 50-60 a nite.. Tho I stayed there one time at a cheap motel and it was nasty.. If I remember there was a bowling alley there that had a little bar in it.. seemed like the only place u could buy beer around there..
  9. brownie2

brownie2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't look at your tracks but I might help a little.
    Davis Gap rd west of Clayton is a paved road. Hwy 197 has plenty of curves. Best food in Hayesville right now is Burger Boy off the round about, Rib Country just south of town on 17/69. The Cottage or Cottage deli was probably what was mentioned earlier. The Cottage is closed but deli is open.
    Hwy 348?, Richard Russell Hwy, near Helen is closed and they are giving tickets to people passing the barriers.
    I'm not sure but I think Dry Falls is a short walk, I think that's the one they were rebuilding the parking lot.
    Check out the Nantahala river area, Wayah rd.
  10. Python423

Oddometer:
  11. Python423

Oddometer:
    Ok guys got a question here.. Have comments the section of 64 between Hayesville,NC and Franklin,NC on 64 has some good views... But looking at the GPS data, instead of doing this section, I could stay on 129 instead of getting on 64 and go North a little ways and Get on Wayah Road and that would bring me just south of Franklin Also.. I've been on Wayah Road once before a long time ago and know its scenic.. But not sure what the section of 129 from Murphy up to Wayah Road is like? Any comments? which would be the best option?

1. Murphy up 129 to Wayah road over to franklink,

2. or 129 to 64 on up to Franklin ??
  12. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
    Rode Wayah for the first time last week - would trade that section of 64 for Wayah.
  13. Python423

Oddometer:
    I rode wayah road on the way back, in the rain. Be a good road for an adv bike I guess. But I didnt like it for a sport bike. Alot of loose gravel in the road.. And in the rain with a loaded down sport bike.. We had to be extremely careful going thru there.