Teluride to Moab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Never enough time, May 20, 2019.

1. Never enough time

Never enough time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Colorado for the 10th year in a row been single tracking but this year a shoulder surgery is forcing us to bring the adventure bikes out and do some dirt roading. Leaving Co Springs via gold camp to Cripple creek then Canon City South around to Cotopaxi then west towards Rio Grande reservoir rd back up to Silverton..then hopefully up over Black Bear to teluride. I have already done most of these but my son and friend have not. Its the Teluride to Moab part I need some help with. Hopefully while in Moab we can get to do all the White rim because we have only rode parts of it in the past, then would like to return on Rimrocker to Montrose.
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. VagrantStain

VagrantStain n00b

Oddometer:
    Good call! I did the RimRocker last year. Montrose to Moab Day 1. Moab to Montrose Day 2. Its a mix of dirt roads, jeep trails and single track. Bring good maps to accompany your GPS. I got turned around a few times but overall the trail is pretty well marked. Experienced, cold, cold rain, snow, sunshine and heat. Beautiful country. Saw very few riders on the trail and one very lost Jeeper.
  4. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    We will be doing this on 2 ktm 1090s a how tight is the single track on rimrocker?
    And still looking for the best route from Teluride to Moab.
  5. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you read the Rim Rocker website info this apparently has a double track trail all the way through since the Jeep crowds travel this frequently. So if you wanted to stay safe you stay on the double track portion.
  6. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  7. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So a nice route to Moab from Telluride, if you only want to ride Rimrocker on the return, would be to head towards Ridgway and then go North off hwy 62 on the 60X rd. You’d make a few jogs but head for the Divide Rd.. That runs North through the Uncompaghre Natl Forest. Map that out to go to Gateway Co. , good lunch at the resort there. After lunch, up John Brown Canyon on Gateway/ Castleton Rd. Till you get to the Polar Mesa turnoff. Ride down Polar Mesa to Onion creek, out to Hwy 128 then into Moab along the river. This route is probably 80% dirt 20% asphalt.
    You did not post when you want to do this, there’s probably several feet of snow on Divide now and we just had another storm pass through that left more. I think this route will be possible late June/ early July ?
    miken0vf and Bikedude987 like this.
  8. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    Will be there the week of July 14--19 . Yes we are worried about the snow up in the elevations it really messed us up in the Taylor park area last year. Thanks i looked at that route just now and that would be a new area for all of us so its a go for that route.
    SAM13 likes this.
  9. SAM13

Oddometer:
    You should be good that week :drif You can PM me closer to that date and I may ride the Divide stretch with you if you guys want company.:smile6
  10. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    Oh ya.. that would be great
  11. jcp636

jcp636 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep us updated! Me and a buddy are doing a very similar route in August. Start from CO Springs, make our way to Telluride on a mix of on and off road, hit black bear pass among others, then rim rocker to Moab and the White Rim trail.
  12. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    Had to change our plans not coming out to Colorado until the week of August 18th now for a few reasons. Hopefully the snow will be melted by then. can still pM you if your ;ooking to tag along.
  13. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    When will you be there? We just changed our plans... we are coming out to Colorado Spring the week of August 18 th now.
  14. jcp636

jcp636 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We’re leaving the Philly area August 6-7th, we’ll be on our way back on the 18th most likely.
  15. SAM13

Oddometer:
    Its not melted off in the San Juans but the route I suggested is all clear. I rode a lot of Divide Rd. Last weekend with the spousal unit. Just PM me when your out and I can see what I’m up too but likely free as school will have started by then.
  16. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    We will be crossing paths we are leaving Indiana Pa Friday the 16th. Have a great trip and Please let me know how you do.
    jcp636 likes this.
  17. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    I see Ophir is open to jeeps we are hoping Blackbear will be open by then.
    i am still trying to find out if Rio grand res road over stoney pass is open would like to come into Silverton that way.
  18. jcp636

jcp636 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks you too! I’ll post up some updates or maybe start a new thread and link it here.
  19. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do Stoney Pass, post up about Timber Hill. It was pretty rocky when I did it a number of years ago and I wonder if it got tore up even more by the jeeps and S×S

We also did Lost Creek Trail from the Reservoir and came out at Wagner Gulch as I recall. That was a very good ride as well..
  20. Never enough time

Oddometer:
    How was your ride ?
    We’re just passing Hays Kansas