Tempted to go to Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by michocolombia, Jun 8, 2005.

1. michocolombia

michocolombia Aventurero de Corazon

Oddometer:
    Currently with a bunch of ideas for summer travelling in my head, Alaska is the one thatis ringing more bells and making me more anxious.

I am just tempted to hop on the bike and go with the flow. I am ready to leave any time. Am I crazy to just throw my leg over the bike and figure out things as I am headed north, or are there any big and important considerations i should keep in mind?

MOstly the most important questions I have are, how cold does it get during the months of June and July? Can I make it on or around $50 a day? How long will it take me to get there and back from SF, putting some decent daily mileage 300-500 miles a day?

Thanks for the input and the help. I appreciate any advice

cheers

ME
  2. WeAre138

WeAre138 fried calamari

Oddometer:
    I'm headed for Anchorage from S.F next Friday. I don't have any reservations along the way. Just some ocean kayaking planned once I get up there to my friends place. I say go for it. Temperatures should not bee too bad. Here is a purty graph of highs, lows and rainfall:
    http://www.weather.com/activities/events/sports/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USAK0012&from=36hr_bottomnav_sports
    Hope to see you on the road. I have a silver 1150GS with a nor cal sticker on my jesses. Cheers!

I'm taking 8 days to gut up there, and 2 weeks to get back along the inside passage. Checking out Vancouver island. ~450 miles per day. Yahoo says it is about 3200 miles one way.
  3. WeAre138

WeAre138 fried calamari

Oddometer:
    ...by the way $50/day may not cut it? At 450 miles/day I'm figuring this will be about $30 just in gas(fully loaded with gear) perhaps more in the more remote sections where they jack up the price. Currently it costs me about $18 to fill up with the good stuff on an 7.9g tank.
  4. michocolombia

michocolombia Aventurero de Corazon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info WeAre138. Greatly appreciated. Are you going to be taking backroads on the way up?? are you sticking mainly to a coast route?

It would be cool to run into you on the way up!
  5. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the trip from San Francisco in 2003.

Weatherwise, It was coldest way down in the Rockies in Alberta on the Icefields Parkway. But definitely plan for rain. Take extras of stuff, so you have a dry version. Fresh, dry gloves are a real pick-me-up on a cold day. There was the day when I rode from Fairbanks to Talkeetna and it rained 4 inches, with snow flurries around the entrance to Denali NP. Believe it or not, the one thing I would take next time would be an Umbrella! You see, the gas stations never seemed to have those canopies, and you could go for hours without ever once getting out of the rain.

Speaking of Icefields Parkway, if your leaving from SF I didn't find enough difference in the total mileage if I went what "appeared" to be the direct route, say up I-5 to Vancouver, versus including Banff and Jasper. so I took Banff and Jasper. From SF took I-5 to 299 east, just north of Redding; 299 to Alturas; 395 north to Burns; 20 east to 95 and 95 north all the way to Banff NP. From Jasper I took 16 to Prince George, which you will be going through anyway you come. My "BMW Odometer" reading at Prince George, not to be confused with the real distance, was 1959 miles, including a lot of exploring on the way.

If you are planning to stay in hotels/motels, except for Banff and Jasper, You don't need to make any reservations way ahead from here, unless you have your eye already on something special. But you should have a cell phone and plan on calling ahead to make sure they have room at your next stop. Some stretches of the highway have very few services and if there is roadwork or construction in the area, all the rooms for 200-300 miles might easily be reserved for the work crews.

$50 a day won't cut it unless you keep it down to gas, oil and Dorritos. To anything you buy, you almost have to factor in how much it would cost to send it from here airmail, to get a grasp of the prices.

That is one great ride, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Go for it, dude.

$50 per day will getcha fuel for 300-500, eats and a few brews.
    Gotta camp. Forget motels...they're high dollar up there.
    Beer is kinda expensive in Canada. Cigs are very expensive in Canada.
    Best to have Maple Leaf money when in Canada...some establishments think the exchange is one-to-one.
    Start with fresh rubber. Whitehorse has tires if you miscalculate.
    The Cassiar is better than the Alaska, but do em both.
    The hwy thru the Jasper park is awesome.
    Take rain gear. No, take good rain gear.
    I'd be prepared for temps ranging from 30s to 70s.
    The people are very nice.
  7. WeAre138

WeAre138 fried calamari

Oddometer:
    Sometime early next week I will reply to this post with a tentative plan/route, it would be cool to run into some adv folks on the road! I'm planning on shooting up there on mostly main roads and meandering along the inside passage and taking some ferries on the way back. Will be spending about a week around Anchorage area. I need to check out Vancouver island and Orcas island. Hopefully they will let me squeeze my bike on without prior reservations? Who knows maybe I'll get stranded and have to extend my trip :evil
  8. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Hey, everyone. Look for a tall Columbian dude on a cool white KLR and that will be Micho. And, don't worry about him coming up there since he's already promised me he's going :deal.
  9. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    If you want to get together with the Alaska bunch, let us know over on the "Over the Top Hop" thread which has become the defacto Alaska rider sticky. We plan a lot of our wekend rides there, even if we aren't going to Dawson or points north. There are quite a few interesting side trips, Whittier, Petersville, Hope, Exit Glacier, Jonesville mine, I could go on for a while here. We always enjoy meeting the travelers. :freaky