Tenere 700 linkage and swing arm problems

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CO1K, Aug 8, 2020.

1. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d like to address this to all Tenere700 owners that have gotten some miles now on their T7.

I have close to 3500 miles on my Yamaha Tenere700 that I bought in late June, and I have experienced this knocking noise coming from the rear swing arm linkage that I had never experienced before on any other bike I had owned.
    Tolerances between the axle bolt and the bushing are to big, creating a play between the two therefore the knocking noise on theTenere700’s when riding off road.

Is there anyone else noticing this knocking noise coming from the swing arm on their Tenere700.

Don’t confuse it with chain slap, it’s not chain slap, it’s a knock you can even feel in your foot pegs.
    I had taken the swing arm linkage apart and there is a 1mm tolerance between the axle bolt and bushing .
    :eek2
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    How about getting a bush made thats perfect, and greaseing it up?
    Benduro likes this.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I would take that back to the garage that is a warranty issue
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I’ve had mine apart, it was spot on
    sidetrack one likes this.
  5. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if only US and even EU bike have this problem. If you lookup certain vids on you tube you could hear the knock noise that the bike has only on rough terrain and especially on washboard. So not all the bikes have this issue, maybe bike in OZ don’t.....
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    There is another post on one of the Tenere forums where an owner was complaining about this a few months ago. I think they were in Europe. It was before they were released in the USA.
    Can't help with any more detail than that.
  7. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Service info on the swingarm:

Attached Files:

CO1K likes this.
  9. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mcmann, I plan on taking apart soon. I need to change the rear tire anyway.
    mcmann likes this.
  10. Duane1969

Duane1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please keep us posted on what you find
  11. 350Rizzer

350Rizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has some play in the upper shock mount. I can hear it when I lift the rear off the ground. The bolt doesn't move so it seems like the shock sleeve is over sized.
  12. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem when I lifted rear of my bike by hand. Turns out it was the internals of the shock. Manufacturer warranted the shock after the warranty had expired
  13. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    you havent taken it apart yet ?
  14. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Super Tenere has this issue. The forward suspension linkage pivot has a clearance of ~1mm between the bushing and the frame mount when the clearance should be zero . Only showed up on washboard roads when I would feel the repetitive 'thunk' of the bushing shifting on the bolt.
    CO1K likes this.
  15. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting observations
    I will check mine
  16. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    948F3FD3-8009-42E0-A609-536A9701325B.jpeg
    Took the swing arm off and I can confirm that there is a 1.1mm play between the collar and the 3 bearings in the arm. Even the pivot shaft has a .4mm clearance between it and the collar. All this play contributes to the rattle/ knock noise coming from the swing arm plus shock linkage as it’s got its own problems with all the lower connections and it gets worse when adjusting rear suspension to harder setting. I also went up to an 85# spring, that actually aggravated things, now it sounds even worse and it’s really annoying.
    At this point machining a collar to the right spec wouldn’t be the fix, so far didn’t hear anything about Yamaha coming up with a fix. I did have a chance of checking another guys T7 and the swing arm had the same play, just to confirm there are more bikes out there if not all with the same issue. I also talked to the local dealer about it and they’ll talk to Yamaha rep regarding this.
  17. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how will all this play out, in the long term

Can't be good once the miles rack up
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    This thread will die pretty quickly

Adanac rider likes this.
  19. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right, it can’t be good in the long term. I doubt that Yamaha will actually provide support regarding the swing arm and shock linkage tolerances on the T7. The future will tell, this is not on any owners mind so far even though I assume all the bikes suffer from it.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best advice I can offer is to not over think things. Lift the bike with a stand the allows the swingarm to drop. From behind the bike grab the back of the swingarm and try to move the swing arm up and down, and side to side. If you can't detect any slop in the system in this manor there is nothing wrong (and a little slop just means it could and possibly should be better).

Testing from the end of the swing arm provides a very long lever and any amount of slop that could lead to a problem will easily be felt. Some bikes get sloppy swingarms quicker than others. A small amount of slop is nothing to get overly alarmed about but should be monitored occasionally or chased down and rectified immediately if one is inclined to do so of course.
    slipknot likes this.