Tenere 700 suspension info

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Motociclo, May 30, 2020.

1. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep a look out on our T7 Vendors thread
  2. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Takes a while for brand-new suspension to loosen up and get broken in...
    Johnnyboxer and dzrtracin like this.
  3. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, here is my video of the OEM spring change:
    Ginger Beard and Benduro like this.
  4. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question:

I installed on my Bike a 90N linear spring. Riding alone with riding gear I have a sag of ~65mm, equals 30%, preload 4 clicks, spot on so far.

With panniers and camping gear, which is pretty much my maximum potential load, I have to wind to 12 clicks preload to gain the 65mm. Allright.

So I got 12 clicks left potentially unused.

So when I step slightly back to a 85N spring, can I expect a plusher ride with adjusted sag settings?
    dirtytroll likes this.
  5. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily as you will have to add more Preload to the softer 85N/mm spring, so this means it can give a stiffer initial movement, better to have minimum Preload on the stiffer spring
    amboss87, dirtytroll and Benduro like this.
  6. amboss87

Oddometer:
    Thanks for feedback, nice to book that as a good result.

With compression 17 clicks out and rebound 14 clicks out I am at the soft range at the moment.
    On Gravel Roads and soft Off-Road I am happy with the settings.
    But on bad tarmac roads with short waved bumps I still find the rear too hard and stiff. Not bad, but theres certain room for improvement
  7. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think i read from Motociclo in the T7 suspension thread that T7 rear shock valving is designed for high speed compression, so adjusments barely affects low speed compression. So a little hard feeling in paved road waves makes sense.
    amboss87 likes this.
  8. sidestand

sidestand bristol, uk.

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the 90nm spring on Friday . Had it at 4 turns from soft on the preload but now on 8 clicks . Front forks 8 clicks out from soft rebound and 12 on compression 90kg plus gear and a backpack .
  9. amboss87

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that would explain a lot.

Accoding the Forks: In the MAD youtube suspension Video they advice in Kombination with the 90N spring rear 5mm preload spacers for the Front. Anybody done this here? What are the best Diameters?
    Benduro likes this.
  10. powder85

powder85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I would like to know what is your opinion on my feeling about the suspension, I'm a bit confused. Rear sag is correct for my 80kg riding weight.

I have ridden with clickers both soft in compression and rebound, and hard. When they are set out to soft, the bike dives a lot, bounces and feels harsh on small rocks, street speed bumps which is strange as being soft it shouldn't feel harsh over small things. When riding fast on sharp edged rocks it deflects a lot like trying to kill you.
    I turn in the clickers to 4 from full hard/in. The suspension feels way plusher over small things and stuff (weird as I think this is how soft compression and rebound should feel in my mind), it doesn't bottom out on small jumps and overall feels much better. The problem is still that riding fast over a rock in the middle of the trail or a suden edged step makes the bike deflect like crazy, almost to the point of crashing the same than when set full soft.

Can someone put some logic in this? In brief: setting soft clickers feel harsher on small obstacles at low speed, bounces like jelly, and bottoms out easily. Hard clickers feel much plusher over small obstacles and doesn't bottom out. In both cases deflects dangerously when riding at speed over sharp edged rocks or ruts when I can't avoid them.

Is it because clickers only have effect on slow speed dampening? Would a valving change solve this issue or I'm trying to ride too fast with a heavy adventure bike like it was my Enduro?
    dirtytroll likes this.
  11. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    More often than not the harshness is due to not enough preload on the T7 forks, which we have found, if you add 5-10mm more preload the fork rides higher in the stroke.
    Benduro and powder85 like this.
  12. Tooph

Tooph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've added an 80nm RR rear spring and would like to try the WP 5mm spacers up front. Only experience i have with forks is dropping in plex valves on my old dr650. Can someone point me to a demo of how to install the 5mm fork spacers?
  13. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at work and can't see link, but here ya go.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1791-rally-raid-fork-preload-spacers/
    Bike Guy likes this.
  14. Tooph

Tooph Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably messier not removing them, as noted in link.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    very easy without removing forks, less than 30 min job once you'v done it once if you havent done it before, its really easy to test a bit of preload and see how your sag is and redo with a bit more or less to get it right, Ive played with 5-7mm with mine.

I just put a bit of tie wire or tie a bit of string to stop the rods falling into forks. Im no expert but done a few bikes like this and never had a problem

loosen top tripples.
    Wind your compression and rebound damping out.
    Jack front wheel off ground.
    Undo fork caps ( I use some tape or tissue wrapped around hex to prevent surface damage).
    Let your jack doen a bit and it pushes the fork caps up to give you room to work, do it slowly so if there is any small amount of oil on springs runs back down into forks.
    Put some tie wire or stinge arond thead/rod under the lower lock nut, that if if you drop them in you can get them out.
    Hold lower lock nut with spanner, undo cap off rod.
    Place your spacer under fork spring top cover.
    Put everything back in reverse order.
    Jack front back up it helps you get the forks caps threaded back in.

42D7F6A4-26BD-4008-9053-4FBC40595198_jpeg.jpg
    C4BDB2EB-035D-48E1-B789-A763EC4E3191_jpeg.jpg

Benduro, worncog and Tooph like this.
  17. amboss87

Oddometer:
    Sweet, what the suitable inside and outer diameter of the spacers?
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    a standard WP43 spacer is around 38mm x 27mm x Xmm thick
    I cant tell you what max or min you can get away with is but whatever you can get close to that

Im 96kg out of the shower
    I have 6kg forks springs 59mm sag with 3/4 tank
    and 8.5 shock spring with 8 clicks of preload for 62mm sag, i could prob get away with 9 shock spring but I ride light 90% of the time so am happy.

Benduro likes this.
  19. amboss87

Oddometer:
    allright, I removed my poor gues to lead nobody wrong. In UK I would have ordered the nice Rally Raid set, but shipping costs to Germany you know.
    Gonna get made something in work.
  20. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    if you look at that pic of mine you will see an off the shelf 3mm thick washer sitting above the 5mm plastic shim, they come with HiCalibre forks springs sets, I am back to the 5mm spacer only now, that was a test I did

amboss87 likes this.